Massive stutters with DF client

Interesting observation completely different tune to your original comments is that a hint of schizophrenia I see

Just disable sounds effects (let the music and others on ) and for now it seems to work.

3 Likes

Well, here is my DXdiag since I already uploaded it to blizzard, I can add it here to the list of growing system specs affected by this issue. I can also upload MSinfo and HWmonitor info too, but I doubt it’s necessary at this point.

For the record, I see most of the complaints coming from people who play on systems designed for DX12, operate rigs with more than 4 cores, and I have tested with a 6-core, 4-core, and finally my current 16-core rig – which is my main rig, and attached the DXdiag. If the same issue is happening to people across a plethora of systems whether next gen, current gen, or not, the point about arguing over the cpu bottleneck is moot because the problems persist even with high end rigs. Stop saying otherwise.

Edit: I also have the PBO level set to 2, so the clock speed caps out at around 4.5 ghz on eight cores. While playing this game, however, it will only ever reach 4.2 ghz – which is puzzling. HWinfo does not report thermal throttling as the temps never reach above 70c at any load level, and I have stress tested my system with 3d mark, using DX12 ultimate stress testing for CPU as well as GPU, and the full gamut to cover my rig’s whole array, and there is no throttling. All temps are within normal specs.

2 Likes

Updating from yesterday, so far turning audio completely off solves it for me. With music turned off it’s better but still has the occasional stutter, mostly when assets load in for area transitions or NPCs.

It may be a weird band-aid, but hopefully a legit fix comes in the form of optimization cause at this point you can’t really blame an OS, or NVIDIA when many of us here aren’t using the same OS or GPUs.

6 Likes

I wanna note that i am still having system freezes also with MPO enabled i noticed right away the downsides of disabling MPO just ruins colors especially with HDR
I think the game has memory leak in direct3D 12 as well its just leaking into pagefile instead i think

You think ? its defiantly broken go task manager details then select wow.exe and proces analyze it tell me what you see i tell you whats there its deadlock and deadlocks are bad they happen when there are a lot of errors, world of warcraft is currently broken deadlocks can cause system freezes as well
and my gpu driver crashing may be the result of wow doing something my gpu cant do.
Imgur

Here’s a couple of not very professionally recorded videos of the game play in that crappy gauntlet section of The Nokhud Offensive

I captured this using screen cap feature in Shadow Play from nVidia. Don’t worry about how “pretty” UI is or my playstyle, it’s meant to just show how bad the issue is.

Look at the top left corner for FPS, using Broker addon to display that and now wondering if there’s any settings in Shadow Play that I could’ve turned on for on screen FPS while recording :thinking:

WoW The Nokhud Offensive Gaunt Before Last Boss FPS issues Part 1 - YouTube

WoW The Nokhud Offensive Gaunt Before Last Boss FPS issues Part 2 - YouTube

Wow this guy is incorrigible… Nothing you have contributed is helpful. Everything you said is a blatant backpaddle or a backhanded comment originating from you’re delusional/falsely-entitled superiority. We get it, the issue doesn’t affect you so GTFO, you’re not the only one who knows computers…

4 Likes

Yeah. I had a tech support person look at my computer last night with team viewer. They said my computer should be absolutely whuppin this game’s butt. Which is what it normally does. Did*, before prepatch. And to a fair amount, it still does. Really my only issue seems to be the asset pop in. I had the horrible stutter first few days but it gradually got better. Not everywhere, though. Some places are just always nuts. But still, even when I’m in org I have very few stutters now. The pop in is unreal though. It’s just difficult to see what’s going on without seeing other people’s games. Because what you and I consider a very noticeable downgrade in render distance, to point of it downright looking wonky like it’s a bug causing this, may be nothing compared to other people for some reason? IDK, maybe people JUST doing dungeons? Don’t think its in dungeons as much. Group content. Tech support person said it maaaaybe seems like it could have something to do with the phasing of the game. Which is interesting because, I’ve done the dracthyr starter zone few times and at the very very beginning, like when you leave the prison for first time, I do not detect pop in. But after that first phase change, like around the point with the quest with the bugs and soar practicing? It goes to hell again. So, that area goes through a lot of phasing in between those two general quest progression points.

2 Likes

Nope :frowning: I’ve been having this problem since prepatch

1 Like

So what I had expected was that while stuttering one, or possibly two of the threads would be capped out at 100%, as I’ve never really seen my CPU pegged at anything much more than 40% when it was stuttering.

What I got instead was a very choppy utilization pattern on the thread that I had been eyeing as the candidate for redlining, increased use on the other, and noise and spikes of utilization on all the cores, and a spike on my network use, which I wasn’t actively paying attention to.

I’m not 100% sure what to make of this. I have a screencap of my Task manager and core utilization, but apparently I am not allowed to post hyperlinks.

1 Like

Yeah honestly, I’ve tried everything. Tech support person even looked at my computer and said I’ve done everything that they would have done and so it seems like an issue from the game developer to them. They said there should be absolutely -nothing- wrong with my computer or my drives after testing it’s performance and then trying several different games I have on my computer.

I wouldn’t be about ready to unsub and contact blizz for a refund for the expansion, though, if they’d just own up to this being a problem and give me some kind of assurance that theyre aware and are working on it. But instead, they only provide passed blame and cut and paste garbage troubleshooting advice, which is more or less their deniability way to say “I dunno whut broke”. That’s really not great customer service. But they already met their quota with DF sales duping people into buying it with false advertising and withheld information. Only thing that would change that is mass refund requests which isn’t happening either. Maybe from me, maybe from some other people whove had it with this company but yeah. Sad reality is sad.

1 Like

I have also noticed, as others have mentioned, the micro fps stutters and mid to big fps stutters when assets pop in are decreased a decent amount when all audio is muted.

Try putting Audio Channels to maximum (128). This has helped increase performance for me as well.

i put everything on the lowest settings and i still get stuttering. its wild.

Exactly this. Before heading home from work, there was a 4090/13900k PC ready to be shipped that I tested WoW on. I disabled sound and put everything on low or off, and there were still same amount of stutters when loading in players/npcs/assets. It’s crazy.

1 Like

It’s not a hardware or device issue.

It’s a C++ issue.

4 Likes

Tech support person who looked at my computer last night said the same thing. More or less anyway. Code error from game developer.

1 Like

Original as in before doing empirical testing on a PC that I could finally reproduce the issues on? It took me six PCs to finally find one that experienced any issues. None of the other devices have any problems and this RX6600 PC was having issues with the drivers not keeping the clocks high. The clocks weren’t staying high because the CPU was bottlenecking and the GPU was sitting at like 30% usage because of it, and that was enough to cause it to aggressively downclock all over the place.

Also, it did turn out to be an OS environmental issue factoring into the mix as well, which I had been suggesting a lot earlier on in this thread. Once I ran throttlestop to trigger a pause on the Windows defender counters(https://www.extremetech.com/computing/337620-new-utility-fixes-windows-defender-hogging-cpu-time-on-intel-cpus), it fixed some remaining usage problems.

It shouldn’t. Sounds like there’s some other kind of issue going on that’s changing your color space maybe? I know Windows has that auto HDR thing, so maybe once everything is in a single plane, it’s balancing based off all that, instead of just the single window? (I’m assuming you’re running a multiscreen setup) I don’t know because I don’t really mess around much with HDR on PCs other than using wide gamut DCI-P3 screens for art, but without the HDR brightness/dimming part. I’ll try looking into it and see what I can find.

1 Like

After reading some have found relief by disabling the sound I remembered an old trick from back in cata. Run a clean install of the latest nvidia driver and uncheck “HD Audio Driver”
This should remove any previous version of the driver and not install it back.
I did this tonight and I am experiencing a world of difference. Game is playable for me now. While also enjoying sound.

I also went into nvidia 3D settings and set “Shader Cache Size” to 100GB

Let me know if this works for any of you.

Tldr but you admitted you where wrong and that takes a big man I admire you

Confirming that turning the sound off gets rid of the microstuttering. Hopefully this leads to a fix.

1 Like