Massive stutters with DF client

This has been mentioned before and in no way resolves the issue to the state before the patch.

There is an objective and fairly easy way for everyone to measure this. Use MSI Afterburner/RTSS and monitor frametime with as small of a monitoring window as possible. Aka 100ms. Do -not- measure average fps, avg fps will only show you a very small movement for any given stutter, frametime will show you each stutter in exact detail.

It does seem to mainly be tied to loading assets, with our without that cachelessshadermode change. You can go to an empty area and be fine, but in Oribos where new characters are constantly loading in, you will notice -large- constant stutters, especially when quickly turning the camera, even with the cvar change.

This was present to a -small- extent in Oribos before the patch… but it is MUCH more extreme now.

2 Likes

HUGE RESPECT!!! GIGACHAD!!! IT WOOOOOOOOORKS!!!

1. Open your WoW folder directory and under Retail > WTF > Config.txt paste this into the file: SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0”
2 Likes

The cvar fix did not work for me. I had to manually go into the config folder and add the line SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” .

It’s crazy that it takes the community to help us out… Blizzard is still working on Overwatch 1.

8 Likes

dude i noticed a weird sound as well while loading. Very very strange

The sound is your gpu going from 0 to 100% usage trying to load a big number of shaders (textures) because compiling is seems to be disable by default with 10.0

1 Like

Same issue here. Same with kids computer. Whats going on? Any blue going to acknowledge this with a time table for a fix or what?

The fact this was reported in beta and nothing was done about it is quite frustrating. Typical blizzard these days…

4 Likes

The config file edit didn’t work for me. It might have helped a little, but there’s still lots of microstuttering where there wasn’t any before.

3 Likes

CAN CONFIRM: Putting SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” in your World of Warcraft\_retail_\WTF\config.wtf will fix the stuttering. Not sure what the exact ingame command would be for doing it, probably /script or /run SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0”, but it’s easy to just put it in the config file instead.

This definitely points to some huge hiccup between the shader caching and the game. Maybe some IO issue between the client and the OS, but whatever it is, it’s probably taking 100s of times longer than it should.

Also: I noticed that if I try to put the game into DX11 legacy mode, even from the login screen, the client freezes and the game will memory leak until there’s no more ram or pagefile. You have to manually close it from the task manager.

5 Likes

Nope, verified it’s in the actual file and reloaded the game again just for good measure.

Still getting spikes to 50-60ms while doing circles around the main Oribos area with my 120 fps cap (so a base frametime of 8.3 ms). A 60 ms spike on a base of 8.3, means ~6 full frames dropped, just egregious.

Before the patch, anything above 20ms spikes was very rare, even there in Oribos.

This is with all addons off just to be sure none are still misbehaving themselves due to the new patch.

3 Likes

Sigh. Same.

Ryzen 7 5800x
Radeon 5700 xt
SSD

FFXIV works fine as does all of my other games.

For everyone skeptical, as was I, this is what you need to do to fix 90% of the stutter. Its not perfect but Blizzard please watch this space. This is where the issue is.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I just read the actual SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” more carefully and it seems like maybe the game is defaulting to NOT using the shader cache because it says cacheLESS and since we are setting it to zero, it likely is normally a one. So it’s just generating everything on the fly every single time it needs them again? That could explain a lot too.

Eventually, if you get far enough away, or enough other stuff gets loaded, it will probably start garbage collecting stale assets in the pool, which means if it is needed again, it will have to recompile it again since it isn’t being cached. In big cities, there’s lots of stuff clogging up that pool, so it would make sense to experience it most when you’re around a lot of people or action.

while this does seem to help the issue is still there :frowning:

2 Likes

Same here

I7 7700K
3090TI
Installed on M.2
32G Ram

Pretty much top of the line PC… before prepatch I locked fps at 144… NEVER dropped.
After prepatch, 40-50fps and when I turn my character it freezes for 1-2 seconds.

Dropped all graphics to low. The lowest you can. Uncapped my framerate.

30-40fps now

Insert " how the hell did blizz F this up AGAIN "

Company is dead and all the good devs are gone. This is just a sad attempt at a cash grab.

2 Likes

Objectively it definitely is. So I wish people would hold off on ‘Problem Solved!’ posts without backing it up with a good long flat and stable frametime graph of doing circles in Oribos to back it up. If you can produce -that- well… then I’d sure like to know what the heck else has changed on my system since 2 days ago lol.

Anyway, those posts can cause Blizzard to no longer look at this issue at all, when a good number of people are saying the issue is still present and very significant compared to before the patch, even if true that it is somewhat reduced by this cvar change.

3 Likes

No one said the problem was solved. SET GxAllow… is a working temporary fix. Until blizzard has fixed it with a patch, the problem will still exist.

5 Likes

I would call “UPDATE: Doing the SET GxAllowCachelessShaderMode “0” to config file fixes the problem.” saying that it’s solved.

5 Likes

Agreed with your point. Blizzard still needs to absolutely look into this but for now I hope they can understand that the temporary fix allows us to at least play their game while we wait and that we support them in that way.

1 Like