Massive Server Populations Breaking the Game Faerlina Alliance

Lol… Ah… No… probably 60/40 . I’ve been leveling 57-60 since P2 hit and I see one alliance for every 6 horde that gank me.

Technically the truth, since I’m not trolling.

They’re pretty good for getting a general population ratio (such as between classes or between factions).

You’re asserting that that isn’t true because the horde use more alts. I’m asking you to back that assertion up with something other than a personal anecdote about a guild that’s part of the same server and faction as you.

That’s fine, since we’re talking about overall population balance rather than WPvP activity.

Troll-calling followed by an insult. Pretty standard stuff here.

Do you have anything else for me, or do you want to go around in a circle again?

I did both. Horde retail player playing alliance in classic. And then I rolled my alt on a pve server so I can kick back and have a comfy leveling experience. I have to admit, it’s a weird feeling walking around knowing I won’t be attacked by any players. It completely changes the way you play the game. Not worse or better, just different.

Your circumstantial evidence doesn’t mean anything. This can still occur even when the servers are at a perfect 50/50 ratio. Your feelings are irrelevant to the truth.

2 Likes

In the current system, when the server is full, there are more people of both factions that want to get into the server that are waiting in queue. So if you would normally have 8k alliance and 2k horde trying to get into a 5k server, you end up with about 4k alliance on and 1k horde actually online.

With server queues, each faction gets half the total: 2500.

So once 2500 alliance get on, the rest wait in queue. All 2000 horde get online.

Final balance is 56:44

That’s GOOD ENOUGH, especially given the 80/20 starting ratio. It’s even better if the population is a little more balanced.

And remember: It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Only on lower population servers.

The players who cannot play would need to be offered free transfers or faction changes for this to work.

Queueing up remotely is a separate issue that exists regardless of faction-specific queues.

It doesn’t matter. That is still a separate issue.

The only way to fix that problem is to reduce the server population cap… which is STILL a separate discussion.

Then you will never vote for any solution, because no solution exists that would not be seen as punishment by effected players.

It’s like blizzard had no population cap whatsoever (resulting in horribly overcrowded realms), but you don’t support population caps because it would make some people unable to play. WELL, that’s the solution to the problem. Nobody said there would be zero downsides.

I play on Faerlina.

It’s balanced with a Horde skew.

OP is trolling on an alt.

This could be “better.” But don’t only 3 servers currently have queues? Meaning the majority of servers don’t fall into this category?

I’m on a High server, and see a massive majority of Alliance over Horde. In fact, all the PvP servers are High currently. Free transfers would be need to be part of it, but even if all the Ally of HS went back to their source servers there supposedly wasn’t enough to compensate for the imba. Total server populations would have to be considered, so Horde would have to transfer off and Alliance would have to as well in a manner that would have to account for this. It’s possible this would have to be controlled by Blizzard in some manner.

My point isn’t that the queue may make the experience “better,” it is that a host of other problems are likely to arise that make the game in “unplayable” in other ways than it is currently.

You misunderstand, I wouldn’t vote for one of these “solutions” because there is no “problem” with PvP servers. PvP is occurring en masse, as is intended. I would vote for something that impacts people in a standardized way for an actual issue.

In your example, I’d gladly support reduced pop caps - which I do in fact being that population density is the root of most Classic issues. I’d support this because it is standardized, and effects people equally.

More than three would have queues if you implemented faction-specific queues.

If you want to reduce the total populations of the servers, that would put more into this category, but once again, that’s a separate issue, and should be considered independently of using this method.

The whole conversation is about the efficacy of faction-specific queues in reducing faction imbalance, so the question of whether faction imbalance is a problem in the first place is a different discussion.

One could argue that this is an actual issue, however the impact this will have is certainly standardized as much as it can be.

One could argue that population is not actually an issue.

It’s a standardized effect as much as it can be, but population caps absolutely DON’T effect everyone equally.

For example, morning raiders haven’t seen a queue since week 1.

I agree, but you mentioned that it would work in the current system, where people sit the in queue. However, most people don’t currently have a queue.

Concurred, but that is the crux of why this is even being considered. A change to PvP servers effecting PvPers because a sample of people don’t like the current environment.

That is relative to if you believe people who willfully select PvP servers should have systems implemented to change how PvP servers work to accommodate their supposition of how the experience should be.

If it isn’t population density, then there isn’t a need for a solution. Imbalanced servers have always been around, and these solutions were never implemented. Therefore, if this is just a chronic “issue” on PvP servers, Blizzard will treat it the same way they always have.

Agreed, but if the cap isn’t met when you play, you’ve already adjusted to accommodate it - whether intentional or not.

And as the overall population goes down, you think this problem will become less of a problem… so either way the issue is lessened.

Same with the removal of layers TBH.

Systems have been implemented all along that change how PvP servers work to accommodate people’s ideas of how the classic experience should be. The phase system, the population cap, and layering have all changed.

You’re asserting that population density needs a solution, but faction balance doesn’t. I’m just telling you that that’s a personal opinion. Not everyone agrees.

I certainly hope not, since blizzard ended up implementing sharding and warmode due to this issue.

This applies equally to faction-specific queues.

The hell you say? This server is 50/50 at 60

If we agree for the sake of discussion it is an issue, yes. 75 red and 15 blue chips in a 5x5 area will overlap more than 25 red and 5 blue chips in the same 5x5 area.

Agreed, but layers were a non-vanilla temporary solution to try and mitigate the disaster of mega servers. PvP armies have always been on PvP servers, it’s a feature of the game.

I agree as well, but don’t think new systems being developed over and over again to resolve issues made by new systems being developed is an optimal solution design. Rather, servers should be scaled to vanilla levels to mitigate the need for more and more systems to support the mega-server architecture while simultaneously making a “vanilla” experience.

I’m asserting that balance never had a solution implemented by Blizzard until much later iterations of WoW, and many people continued playing just fine. But the population density we see now has never existed in any iteration of the game and has has numerous unintended side effects. Such as the massively inflated size of PvP armies. If there was 1/5 the population, the majority faction could be better avoided by the minority - exactly as was done throughout vanilla.

With that being the only solution ever implemented, it’s likely the one we will get as an outcome of these threads if any. They obviously are aware there could have been faction specific queues, but never implemented them. Possibly because they consider it a non-solution. Either would be a drastic change to vanilla, and the two you mentioned are designed, tested, and compatible with the current client. It is more likely they would implement that than design a whole new solution they never deemed warranted to implement before.

However, it isn’t standardized. It impacts a specific subgroup.

You don’t have to agree or disagree. I’m just saying it was one of the premises of the discussion to begin with. We started with the axiom that faction imbalance is bad, and discussed a potential solution.

The imbalance wasn’t always this bad or in favor of the horde. Hell, PvP servers weren’t always the dominant choice.

The problem isn’t being caused by a new system. It’s caused by fundamental imbalances that existed long ago.

This should be considered independently of whether you think faction imbalance is a bad thing.

Balance didn’t get really bad on most servers until later iterations of WoW.

Classic IS a later iteration of WoW.

I disagree. Nobody but trolls are suggesting war mode, so I don’t see any likelyhood of it being implemented.

If that’s your criterion, then neither is a general population cap.

it’s pvp server.

Anyone who thinks those numbers are remotely accurate has either a) never logged on to Faerlina or b) never left Elwynn Forest.

1 Like

Cry more about ur freedom to choose how you want to play.

Well they pretty much are. Again, your circumstantial evidence is meaningless. There are plenty of other explanations for your experiences.

Or dishonorable kills for when the kills by one faction in the area starts getting horribly skewed like it does now.

Nice, scaling penalties for when griefing is detected.

You can do it, blizz. You can develop software.

These stale, tired “stats” from a “census” plugin that nerdcore nerds needed to install.

Out of the morons that installed that stupid plugin that no longer works, 53% were alliance, 43% were horde.

• FTFY

That’s why Server only BGs are the best way to go.

It gives a queue to the dominant faction, which punishes them for making the imbalance worse.

But at least they still get to play other aspects of the game

Telling people to roll pve isn’t the answer either. The mega servers are the issue and sending more people to the pve servers ruins it economy even more. Sure you get to run around and not get killed. But there only thing you do get to do is fingers because everything else is camped.