MASSIVE p5 tank shaman upgrades

I know what you’re thinking: why on earth would you suggest tanking as shaman in p5 gear? Well, I’ve tanked a number of raids as shaman in p4 and was pretty geared and let me tell you: it wasn’t very good lol. The lack of mana, Stam and tps on mail gear kept tank shaman from ever being as useful as other classes in 40-man content. However, thanks to new massive upgrades to mana, survivability AND tps, the class now definitely has a shot at tanking all content proper.

1.) Black Grasp of the Destroyer
Not only does this have respectable physical damage for mail hands but it also gives 8 mana per melee hit, whether drained or not! Factoring in Flurry, WF weapon on Annihilator and raid boss parry+dodge% this offers a whopping 30 mp5 vs. raid bosses. It’s worth noting as well that the mana gain counts towards threat: it adds roughly 2-3 additional tps depending on the speed of the 1h (~10 Str worth).

2.) Stormcaller’s Hauberk
Thanks to spell damage scaling with Earth Shock and Lightning Shield, this offers way more threat per second than SGC. Let that sink in. It just so happens to have 24 Int and Stam as well. This is one of the strongest items in the game for tank Shaman; unfortunately other classes will certainly roll for Carapace of the Old God - a drop from C’Thun (albeit 100%) - also making Hauberk one of the harder pieces of gear for Shamans to get their hands on.

3.) Ossirian’s Binding
Loaded with stats and then some: 20 Agi, 1% crit, 1% hit and 19 Stam plus some Int to boot. Not as exciting as the above items but it still blows melee Shaman’s other raid belts out of the water, including other p5 belts.

These are the three pieces of gear that will enable tank Shaman, Binding being the least necessary since a number of mail AQ40 and BWL belts aren’t terrible substitutes. In p4 and physical dps gear I OT’d ZG with some success (granted Shaman can’t naturally hold AoE threat in 12+ mob pulls) and solo tanked Rend runs very successfuly, but anything beyond that such as tanking Hakkar or the rest of UBRS proved to be either a struggle or nearly impossible. When MT’ing Ony in physical gear before p5 I popped Stoneskin instead of a mana pot, and because of that and a fat-finger or two I went OOM in 20 seconds lol. These three gear upgrades are so impactful that together they will absolutely take shaman tanks from floundering like that to FINALLY fully functioning in 40-man’s.

Other new gear upgrades will help as well of course, and thankfully there’s plenty of them:

Stormcaller’s legs/Scaled Sand Reaver Leggings
Stormcaller’s boots/Boots of the Fallen Prophet
Stormcaller Pauldrons
either AQ40 Defense neck (worth using over Pendant)
p5 tank rings (even more valuable than Master Dragonslayer’s Ring)
Cloak of the Golden Hive/Cloak of the Fallen God

These are less valuable than the above, but are still worth mentioning:

Barrage Shoulders (if you don’t already have either Stormcaller’s or the 40 nat dmg shoulders from MC, or just want to be as tanky as possible)
Staves for helping pull trash w/Chain Lightning
Totem of Rage (Shock spell damage)

The biggest differences between tank shaman before and after p5 is that absolutely no gear from p4 compares to the vast majority of non-class-specific gear now at Shaman’s disposal, and on top of that shaman finally has a non-healer raid set in Stormcaller’s and it’s a fantastic set! All non-Warlord mail gear either had a bland and underwhelming mix of stats or some offense and little to no Int or Stamina. Non-resto shamans have mostly been dealing with scraps up until now.

Disclaimer: while sham has strong single target tps the class has no natural AoE threat; keep that in mind if you’re willing to try it as it definitely needs at least two other tanks that will grab AoE threat while you focus down stronger mobs in pulls. dps as enh in anything beyond MC or 20-man’s is subpar - the whole point of shaman tanks is that they can generate a lot of threat despite not having as much sustained damage as dps.

General things worth noting regarding tanking as shaman:

• You can train Engi to help alleviate the lack of natural AoE but Sappers will be very expensive for the foreseeable future.
  • When OT’ing, Shaman should join trash pulls with a 2h on until holding top threat on multiple mobs and should use a 2h on bosses to help catch up on threat when behind other tanks.
  • Rockbiter is useful for trash pulls, but thanks to armor shred shamans are way better off using WF on bosses.
9 Likes

This is quite literally the most absurd post I’ve seen in the last two weeks.

Bravo, dps warriors and holy paladins are better tanks then whatever you hope to pull off. No sane person would even consider giving you that stuff over anyone else.

5 Likes

Found the Debbie Downer.

17 Likes

Have fun and good luck!

9 Likes

I always appreciate and respect those people who decide not to go with the grain and focus on beating everything with the meta.

I personally want to start a guild just for meme specs just to see how much we can accomplish lol

7 Likes

I mean, if you can tank it and a guild will take you and let you roll on that loot, more power to you, enjoy your game fren

2 Likes

Statements like these need massive tempering of expectations, as three pieces of gear aren’t the lynch pin of crossing the viability threshold. The single digit number of Shaman “tanks” in BWL were those heavily propped up by non-Shaman classes and resulted in “oh he died, keep going!” for many of the kills.

That being said, Black Grasp of the Destroyer is probably the single most interesting item on your list and addresses, somewhat anyway, one of the bigger Shaman issues of mana.

You have to remember that a lot of classes are also getting a variety of upgrades themselves. Even Warriors are going to stay as defensive as they already are, but now get Plate pieces with heavy Strength itemization and secondary stats for more threat. Druids go from being good to fuzzy gods.

Shaman couldn’t handle Broodlord or the Drakes with BWL gear, but I haven’t run anything on Shaman using AQ40 gear to stand up to Twins, Princess, etc.

To the ToDoList!

2 Likes

Enjoy the game however you can but personally i could not imagine handicapping 39 other people that hard. I realize the whole casual thing is fun for some and it’s your subscription and all but no thank you to wipes, and crazy long clear times trying to prop up an actually nonviable (relatively speaking) spec.

3 Likes

It’s literally more selfish then ret pally dps.

1 Like

It’s very important to me that people I dont know, and dont play with, know that I don’t approve of how they play the game. I’m a Good Person™.

8 Likes

There’s a reason the guilds that run this type of stuff typically lose all of their good players and have hours long clear times. No one really approves of it, even the OP has to know how terrible the whole thing actually is. The whole novelty of it wears off after doing it once or twice at most and then you’re just sitting there raiding content 200%+ slower than everyone else for the same loot. Only by now maybe you just hope the shaman “tank” dies in the first few swings so someone can actually hold threat and not get smashed.

1 Like

Make it happen, I want to see it work.

4 Likes

Silliness of this aside, when people suggest very bad strategies, concepts, or theories, a lot of people will recognize them for the bad suggestions that they are, but some poor fools won’t. These same fools will point to threads like these for support, so without any actual meaningful push-back or correction, it will just get repeated as mindless gospel.

Shaman “tanks” have a tremendous amount of shortcomings, and they are extreme enough to significantly hinder or outright stall any progress in a raiding environment. Thankfully, the weird gear they want is often unwanted or a side-piece for Hunters, BUT there are the occasional jewelry and trinket pieces. Mostly though, they’re a mish-mash of an undergeared Feral Druid who has worse mana problems than a Prot Paladin.

I think it will this time around!

Have fun man

Having read through this a few times, some of you conclusions are correct and some are incorrect. Going OOM is very much a rare thing to happen if the proper amount of effort is put into resolving it (downranking, potions, etc…). You should never look to use WF as a shaman tank always RB.

3 pieces of upgrade in P5 will not “make or break” shaman tanking, they’ve been able to tank raids without it. You should not have issues tanking UBRS/Ony/ZG as a P4 geared Shaman tank, especially not as an OT. Something is missing, happy to help, let’s discuss this further.

Pretty much the whole game can be “beaten”, it’s 15years old after all.

You go tank your heart out.

:yellow_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::green_heart::heart::heartpulse::heartbeat::two_hearts::sparkling_heart::revolving_hearts::cupid::love_letter:

1 Like

As someone who has played a Shaman Tank for many years, you are greatly exaggerating. This handicap you speak of, in the worst possible case means adding mere minutes or seconds to the total time of a raid clear. Shaman Tanking is viable and then some.

I’d recheck the defensive stats & threat that a Shaman tank can achieve if I were you.

1 Like

You say this… and then you never back it up. Plus… by now I’d figure you’d have done a raid at least and you have one clear of MC back in July. That’s it. And you didn’t Tank.

The only video of anyone trying to do BWL with a Shaman Tank showed the Shaman face planting over and over and the rest of the raid picking up the slack… and then taking 4 hours to clear. There are guilds that run 30 people that clear it faster than that by hours.

Squishy defenses and terrible threat.