Mary Sues, Self Inserts and Creator's Pets

So you are alliance biased and It is only right for me to call you out. You have no problem with the alliance neutral characters but you draw the line where the roles would be reversed. Typical alliance biased nonsense.

3 Likes

I read somewhere a great idea, that the Horde campaign in Argus (at least intro) should be different and someone posted idea that while Alliance is using Vindicaar Horde is transforming one of the Legion’s portals to get to Argus and counter invade as a call back to WC1.

It would give some old school vibes and style. And Orcs were also very harassed by Legion. It was perfect way to set something badass for Horde. But nope not only we had close to nothing but had to give company to the hags of Vareesa and the likes.

8 Likes

Yerah screw the alliance characters big time.

1 Like

I have hidden my Alliance favoratism. But more importantly, if I wanted the Horde to be forced to work with the Alliance it would only be so they get to experience how awful it was following Horde for most of cata/MoP.

1 Like

You know what, it’s 4 hours later and I’m actually awake I went and took another look at your post.

I did miss this. I glossed over this section when I quoted it and picked up the part about Liadrin. So that was my mistake. In will however stand by my point that it was appropriate that she take a back seat, but should have been given a something.

2 Likes

If the Draenei were being given all of Argus, they should’ve taken a backseat for Kil’jaeden, whom the orcs and blood elves should’ve been given due screen time. Draenei beat KJ in TBC. It was our turn.

6 Likes

I might be speaking out of turn here but to me, it sounds like most of the debate is really just coming down to how you define the term “taking a back seat”. If the horde were just secondary characters for the Argus expedition, I think it’d be understandable. But to torture an analogy, the horde weren’t so much in the backseat as they were hiding in the trunk for the entire car trip, and then you remember someone’s cooped up back there so you open the back and Aethas pokes his head out to ask about his muffins.

17 Likes

Well, okay, the bolded is just blatantly false.

As for the rest of it, that’s not Mary Sueism. That’s called Joker Immunity.

3 Likes

Sylvanas may not be a Mary Sue but she’s certainly written obnoxiously.

She has become the Daenerys Targaryen of WoW. Daenerys at least got her just deserts in the end, let’s see if Blizzard has the brass to do the same.

1 Like

Are you talking about WoD? If so wasn’t that was a collaborative effort? I think Dreanor is a different situation because of the attempted corruption of the Orc’s and genocide of the Dreanei, but your not entirely wrong.

In my opinion they should have been involved but in a limited compacity. I didn’t do Argus as a horde character so I didn’t know that Liadrin did nothing at all.

W- what? KJ and Argus weren’t in WoD.

Oh yeah that was Archimonde in WoD, I those two mixed up sometimes.

during jaina rescue in the blighted lands what vexed me the most is that the sunreavers didn’t haunt her

she regretted arthas, daelin, and how her mother treated her, but her actions on dalaran do not come back to haunt her

only moment the purge of dalaran is brought up is later on by a sunreaver being depicted as a villain, probably only because a lot of people complained about that not being addressed in the blighted lands

the only character the alliance HAS to work for in all expansions is thrall, the only one, the green jesus, the character that everyone (on both factions) loved until mist of pandaria

during legion, even when we retroactively consider highmountain and suramar horde aligned (talk about stretch considering allied races haven’t even been hinted at yet), they DO NOT bad mouth alliance characters

during mist and the whole debacle with vol jin leading alliance players, who ever brings that up is forgetting that the horde is at the alliance mercy at the end of the raid, varian just decides to be kind enough to let the horde be, but not kind enough to not leave without a big fat ultimatum that puts the horde as the beaten dog.

the hellfire citadel ends with the horde being represented by grommash (THE VILLAIN OF THE EXPANSION) and the alliance by yriel (i love her, but if there is a character that fits the mary sue label is her, and again, i loved her)

like, only thing horde players want is that the alliance steps back from the pedestal to see how they are in a very good position and the that the horde is got nothing out of BfA

14 Likes

All good, I always have respect for someone who admits they made a mistake. My bad too for maybe getting a little heated about it.

Now, as for the ‘taking the back seat’ issue, I have no problem with velen leading the charge and leading the overall mission, after all it was his home world.

But remember this is the BIG BAD legion were talking about who we’ve been fighting for like 13 years, and nearly caused the extinction of 4 races on azeroth, and TONS of trouble for all the others. I just expected everyone to play a pretty pivotal role in taking them down and that did not happen. Really a fault of blizzards writing.

Was a huge let down for a lot of people.

6 Likes

See my comment above.

It’s important to note that the “Sylvanas is not evil” quote came out before BfA launched. At Blizzcon 2018, they talked a lot about her “evil plans.”

7 Likes

Are we gonna ignore Saurfang(the guy who lead the campaign against Silithus), Vol’jin and his rebellion/fight against the Zandalari. Liadrin and her blood knights in Sunwell Plateau/Draenor?

And depending on how canonical/how you want to consider it, you can actually help Gallawix/Hecular and Saurfang during the Legion invasions

1 Like

I think you’re hyperfocusing on your bolded parts and ignoring the entire cinematic cutscene we got of Sylvanas yelling that the horde is nothing before farting in Saurfang’s face and flying away. That entire quote is already invalidated.

1 Like

This is more due to the disconnect between Golden (who was pushing a “Forgiveness” angle), and the actual writers (who wanted her to justifiably keep hating the Horde for Theramore) at the time.

Why shouldn’t she be omnipresent in an expansion featuring her home kingdom?

Remember when Orcs were entirely absent in an expansion that had to deal with the demons that corrupted them?

I remember.

10 Likes