Mary Sues, Self Inserts and Creator's Pets

They had a presence throughout the whole raid, with illidan giving cameo’s to past events, I’m sorry but Horde players wouldn’t want the same kind of stuff from tyrande.

Unless it was faction specific.

You may be okay with it or say it should be the same for both, but when ever alliance players had to deal with a Horde character a storm happened and blizzard refrains from doing it.

Also idk…if you’re wanting my help to save your husband, the druids/emerald dream, and ysera…maybe don’t talk mad crap or how my kind can and shouldn’t be trusted etc. etc.

I’m all for characters staying consistent but, I’m also for characters biting their tongue when they know it’s in their best interest to do so, hell I’d even see it as a nice character flaw if they tried but accidentally couldn’t help but slip up half way through.

17 Likes

Cause the alliance has never done anything to the horde lol the horde is the faction that aways starts everything, honesty tired of horde players saying they want to be heroes, but at the same time mad that the alliance exist, you cant have both, true heroes save everyone

1 Like

What in the Maw are you on about Kat, why do you always do this?

Take one piece of what someone said and then spin it into a different direction.

No one here is mad the Alliance exist, if anything Horde players are annoyed they feel they work with the opposite faction more than their own faction…Yet the opposite faction doesn’t like when they have to work with or help the Horde, without constantly hanging it over their heads.

32 Likes

We can’t be heroes in part because at some point Blizz decided that while the Horde had to be antagonists for the Alliance, the Alliance could never be antagonists for the Horde. Because that would mean they’d actually have to be “antagonistic” and that’s not a virtue. You cannot even hope to have any semblance of a nuanced faction conflict storyline if you are totally unwilling to allow one of the factions to ever dirty their hands. And in the few times they are allowed to do something shades of grey, they get justified and absolved to extremes.

Like, for example, I cannot believe just how much more effort and writing went into the Alliance side of the Taraujo incident to absolve Hawthorne of that event, then actually went on the Horde side of things focusing on the actual event. The priority wasn’t on the tragedy itself (because it was a Horde tragedy), but rather how best to absolve and dilute the culpability of the one responsible. Its also why MAGICALLY every time Blizz is about to have the Horde act aggressively towards the Alliance, a peace treaty is signed just before hand so the Horde can be the ones to break it.

Blizz repeatedly has the objectively FAR weaker faction pick fights they are repeatedly told they can never win, and commit atrocities in the few victories they have to have to paint them as without question the villains, in part because the Alliance reputation can never be tarnished.

30 Likes

It doesnt help that most horde players reject horde characters that work with the alliance as not horde

4 Likes

More specifically Kat, every single time you dote over a specific Horde character its ALWAYS in the context of “This character will make the Horde story convenient for my Alliance one”. As a result it makes it very hard to agree with you on opinions of what the Horde and its races’ stories should be. You also didn’t even attempt to address the problem with writing a nuanced two faction system, when one of the factions is apparently untouchable and needs to be kept pristine.

27 Likes

yes my story of the horde and alliance both being heroic and equal how tragic for you

1 Like

Your opinion on what Heroic means and how that is portrayed is absurdly narrow, and yes … extremely Alliance convenience driven. Its not about whats good for the Horde and enriching its stories for the sake of the Horde faction. Its about making sure the Horde just doesn’t get in the way of the Alliance heroics (since the Alliance is literally portrayed currently as the moral paragons of every single virtue ever conceived by man).

And generally … I agree. I want the Horde and its races to be allowed to become heroic. But, my opinion on that is allowing each of those Horde races (and their characters) to bring out the best of what that race has to offer. Not simply to have Alliance traits superimposed upon them. And, honestly, it would be better for both factions if not only is the Horde allowed to be portrayed in that positive light, but the Alliance image is allowed to be dirtied a bit. Make them more “human” and less the “super-friends”. Bring a bit more balance, than what it currently is (and that means allowing good and bad traits of BOTH factions and its races to exist).

33 Likes

a culture based on war, murder, genocide, and destruction is not a culture that is heroic driote not at all, just like the orcs changed in wc3 so too does the horde have to change now.

And this is why you can never be trusted when it comes to your opinions on the Horde faction and its races. You don’t see positive traits within them currently, so they need to be completely washed away to make room for distinctly Alliance race cultural norms. Again, you truly don’t give a crap about the Horde being made more “Heroic” beyond the fact that you believe it would simply make them more convenient for the Alliance story. An Alliance story you don’t seem to take issue with in its current “Flawless, inhumanly perfect and good” state.

32 Likes

I totally do, the only race that needs to change is the forsaken, the only race that was never truely horde too funny how that is

1 Like

No they didn’t, they stayed at the entrance until the Kil’jaden fight.

Which made no sense, if anything that should have been Tyrande or better yet Maiev because she too was there and was a priestess. Character relevance right there.

But in Legion the faction conflict took a back seat. It would have been appropriate.

3 Likes

They didn’t change, they just went sober

Villains can’t really be Mary Sues. They have to be hard to beat and usually have are crazy powerful or smart or whatever. If they are easy to beat they would be a boring villain.

Unless you count the mark Saurfang left on her face.

Sylvanas falls into this category, AFAIK.

5 Likes

:point_down:

Because they can’t help it.

:cactus:

then why is it such a issue that we work together in the working together xpac, lol something thats been happening for 15+ years

1 Like

Lovecraftian Horrors have an alarming habit of being Villain Sues incidentally.

Apparently the desire to not have a Mary Sue is what caused Reinforce Eins to self destruct in Lyrical Nanoha due to being too overpowered apparently.

Of course Reinforce Eins was able to suffer knock-back by Fate Testarossa so one would think opponents would easily be able to leave Reinforce embedded into walls with the worry of not being able to set herself loose without toppling the building(buildings take damage in reality even with Barriers set up to prevent harm to civilians)!

Vita was able to knock Nanoha through a Wall and Reinforce Eins was able to send Nanoha through a Skyscraper sized Rock so Lyrical Nanoha Characters surviving being sent through Skyscrapers is not much of a feat and being immune to damage is pointless if you suffer Knock-Back and can be interrupted or have your attacks redirected!

Lyrical Nanoha’s writers are just too close-minded to realize that Reinforce Eins is not an Infinity-Plus One Hammer. She is about as strong as Teen Titans’ Starfire who once blew up an entire island and has the ability to shield herself to prevent knockback despite surviving a city blowing up in her face without a scratch!

Reinforce Eins is infact weaker than the Yellow Sun empowered Kryptonians who can tank multiple Supernovas while Reinforce can be killed by an explosion that capable of blowing up most of Japan.

Thank you for saying WoW doesn’t have any Mary Sues.

I appreciate you.

1 Like

Yeah, the storytelling style would have to be changed, for sure. But I think it could be done without hyperfocusing on a few NPCs.