Mary Sues, Self Inserts and Creator's Pets

I totally do, the only race that needs to change is the forsaken, the only race that was never truely horde too funny how that is

1 Like

No they didn’t, they stayed at the entrance until the Kil’jaden fight.

Which made no sense, if anything that should have been Tyrande or better yet Maiev because she too was there and was a priestess. Character relevance right there.

But in Legion the faction conflict took a back seat. It would have been appropriate.

3 Likes

They didn’t change, they just went sober

Villains can’t really be Mary Sues. They have to be hard to beat and usually have are crazy powerful or smart or whatever. If they are easy to beat they would be a boring villain.

Unless you count the mark Saurfang left on her face.

Sylvanas falls into this category, AFAIK.

5 Likes

:point_down:

Because they can’t help it.

:cactus:

then why is it such a issue that we work together in the working together xpac, lol something thats been happening for 15+ years

1 Like

Lovecraftian Horrors have an alarming habit of being Villain Sues incidentally.

Apparently the desire to not have a Mary Sue is what caused Reinforce Eins to self destruct in Lyrical Nanoha due to being too overpowered apparently.

Of course Reinforce Eins was able to suffer knock-back by Fate Testarossa so one would think opponents would easily be able to leave Reinforce embedded into walls with the worry of not being able to set herself loose without toppling the building(buildings take damage in reality even with Barriers set up to prevent harm to civilians)!

Vita was able to knock Nanoha through a Wall and Reinforce Eins was able to send Nanoha through a Skyscraper sized Rock so Lyrical Nanoha Characters surviving being sent through Skyscrapers is not much of a feat and being immune to damage is pointless if you suffer Knock-Back and can be interrupted or have your attacks redirected!

Lyrical Nanoha’s writers are just too close-minded to realize that Reinforce Eins is not an Infinity-Plus One Hammer. She is about as strong as Teen Titans’ Starfire who once blew up an entire island and has the ability to shield herself to prevent knockback despite surviving a city blowing up in her face without a scratch!

Reinforce Eins is infact weaker than the Yellow Sun empowered Kryptonians who can tank multiple Supernovas while Reinforce can be killed by an explosion that capable of blowing up most of Japan.

Thank you for saying WoW doesn’t have any Mary Sues.

I appreciate you.

1 Like

Yeah, the storytelling style would have to be changed, for sure. But I think it could be done without hyperfocusing on a few NPCs.

It makes fine sense, might as well use the person who caused those characters to goto the tomb in the first place, than the person who was only there to chase another character.

Just because the faction conflict takes a back seat, doesn’t mean I wanna deal with the opposite faction more than I need too, it just makes things stupid for when we inevitably go at each others throats Looks at BFA, Mop, and Cata

2 Likes

its almost like war is dumb in general, you are almost there to the whole premise of world of warcraft and the biggest theme of the game, that WAR IS BAD

is always horde players that refused to recognized that the theme of warcraft since wc3 is that the petty wars between the horde and alliance are stupid, and the horde and alliance need to come together, that was the literal ending of wc3

I know its hard, but all the characters who are anti war, like baine, anduin and thrall are suppose to be 100% in the right

1 Like

Can…you stop coming in and twisting things?

Horde players don’t care that the Alliance and Horde work together, Horde players care that blizzard has us work together, then to war, then work together, back to war, the cycle gets mundane real quick and makes the war seem pretty pointless when by the second time I don’t wanna fight someone I’ve built up a relationship with and honestly should just be able to talk about our differences with.

Also stop following me and hating on Horde players, you act like we got to choose where the direction of the story goes, if it was up to us we wouldn’t have wanted war at all, it’s trivial after all the world ending threats we’ve dealt with together.

26 Likes

cause characters like sylvanas got left alone, you’d have a point if all the hordes evil characters got dealt with garrosh but they didnt

i only dislike horde players who are upset that sylvanas isnt good, when shes been evil for 15 years

Don’t reply to them. They either are a troll or have some severe social impairment that you have to accept they operate in abstract reality and can’t be rationalized with.

21 Likes

You’re forgetting or ignoring the effect he has on the overall narrative. He warps it like a giant star or black hole warps space time similarly to Varian so that in the end the spotlight is stuck on him. The writers will go out of their way to ensure that Anduin and/or his beliefs are the correct choices, damn the consequences. He also never changes, because the writers value his innocence over a coherent story.

Notable example was how the Elegy plot got thrown out the window the second Anduin shows up. Now everyone just wants to cheer him up. He has a nasty habit of hijacking other people’s story because he is the default face of the Alliance for some inexplicable reason. He’s just not as bad as Varian was.

Even in Shadowlands he’s altering the story to revolve more around him at the expense of other characters.

14 Likes

Yah I know, I just had hoped…she would have changed after being like this for over a year.

2 Likes

If they’ve been like this for a year I think there’s a fairly low chance they’re going to change. Just throw them on ignore and move on.

3 Likes

PC is a Mary Sue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jaina points aside, I want us to return to not hanging out with factions leaders as often. They need to take a step back and Blizzard needs to introduce more recurring characters like Nazgrim/Taylor.

On Jaina…it’s always felt that she was written to be the ‘protagonist’ of Warcraft. Even in the RTS she felt as much.

4 Likes

And yet, I find myself in the opposite position … maybe because of how truly scraping the bottom of the barrel the Horde currently is now. Characters like Thrall, Baine, and Lor’themar may be in an overall state of at least development (if not great characterization for the prior two), but just look at our Horde Leader rep roster outside of them, Talanji and Thalyssra.

Rokhan? Gazlowe? Voss (and god I hope she at least sticks around, because solo Calia would be a nightmare)? Geya’rah? Mayla? Jiro? Ji? These are all racial leads who are either B-listers completely untested in their brand new role (with the first three), or leaders so new and so generic in their minimal characterization they actually have difficulties distinguishing themselves from their own PC race. Its sort of crazy the miserable state of the Horde cast is in right now.

5 Likes