Mark Kern's Stress Test stream

Not defending Mr. Kern here, but wasn’t Steve Jobs voted out of his company?

Also, many people leave companies to go start their own company. Gabe Newell did it for Valve.

Neither of these scenarios are unique in the business world.

There was something wrong with things in that stress test. People new to a game that didn’t know what to expect would just quit if they experienced the same problems as people did this past week.

And boy did they regret that decision. Steve Jobs was the only reason Apple was successful.

Another hilarious story. I’m gonna take your engine and show you how to do it right. I’ll make two games and literally transform the industry while you release game after game struggling to stay relevant. Oh and those games you’re making? Sell them through my platform. You can hear John Carmack gritting his teeth.

Alrighty, you guys wanna know what a nice guy Mr. Kern is? A summary article for you:

https://www.techinasia.com/firefall-mark-kern-sacked-the9-story

How about when he begged Firefall players to abandon the game so he could buy it for nothing?

http://archive.is/Emuuo

Can’t forget the thread on Reddit from an anon employee describing working under him:

https://www.removeddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5/

Yeah. Keep defending him.

1 Like

That was cool to watch. I just watched the whole thing. Thanks for posting that Mogar!

My favorite part was learning that fishing wasn’t originally going to be put in the game, but that it was put in as a gift to his wife who loved it in Jananese RPG’s. Fun little piece of trivia there.

We get it, you don’t like him. That is obvious with your posts here.

No, I don’t, but that’s not my point. I’m saying he doesn’t deserve to be worshiped because he’s not a very good person.

This is indeed bordering on obsession, Velwind.

Spoiler: Developers are humans like you and me, with their own frustrations, and pitfalls. Being a public figure tends to shine more of a magnifying glass on their faults. That doesn’t make them a force of evil, usually.

3 Likes

Oh boy, citing sources is now obsession. Fine, bask in the glory that is Mark Kern.

“If you don’t hate this person like me you worship them! You’re basking in their glory!”

Only a Void elf deals in absolutes.

1 Like

That was always such a dumb line, as the statement itself is an absolute. :yum:

Well, I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I don’t worship him. I will be honest and say I don’t know a lot about him.

I did enjoy the video though because I love Vanilla WoW and hearing how it all came about and all was very interesting. Also, he is a big reason we now are going to have Classic. I do thank him for that because I have been hoping to go back to Vanilla since BC.

He mentioned in the linked video why he left Blizzard, and that was because he had been really wanting to make a different game, but was unable to because WoW basically became much bigger than expected and they no longer were having the time to make the game they had planned to make after WoW.

I might look at some of your links later when I have time because I can relate to your feelings of a person being good or not, very much so. From there I can maybe draw my own conclusions. I am pretty good at looking at both sides of a story and not automatically taking one side. Maybe his reasons were valid for things he has done?

1 Like

Taking what he says as absolute fact without any research of your own because he was involved in a game 15 years ago is ridiculous. You’re blindly following the reputation, and I was pointing out that the reputation is garbage.

It is much more, or at least as interesting, Kevin Jordan is joining the Beta. Appearently he just found out that Blizzard had sent him a key :rofl:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/429313282
He first chats up Esfand about their venture to kill Herod in SM, before he starts his beta play. I haven’t watched it all yet (8+ hours long) but he usually have a lot of gold nuggets to share regarding WoW (He was Class lead designer back then)

As for Mark Kern and his character or lack thereof as mentioned higher up, isn’t relevant regarding his knowledge on OG WoW.

1 Like

it’s a really interesting stream, thanks for sharing. I think he sold the idea of classic very well, and is being proved correct about the level of interest.

I like the story about Metzen pushing for the world tree and their technical compromise. And about how they brought in Everquest players to help them test and discovered they really enjoyed the quest system and became hooked.

2 Likes

Okay so what about Kevin Jordan saying the same thing about dynamic respawns?

1 Like

" I don’t believe in a guy who would know more than me about WoW even if he was working there so because I have a personal vendetta towards the person I don’t think he is creditable in any way sharp or form."

Next time you work on WoW let us know and “I’ll agree wholeheartedly” with your counter arguments.

1 Like

He left WoW when someone high up at Blizzard (just after WoW launched) came out of a closed door meeting and told him “we’re a real business now.”

thats pretty much how I feel, I really do not care for him at all, but I cannot deny he knows what he is talking about with Vanilla, I’ll watch people I don’t like sometimes just to get a different pov.

You mean that fake petition that was super easy to game and sign multiple times?

That petition that has no meaning at all?

Yeah…