Many WoW players are misogynists

WoW has breeded a toxic frat boy attitude that is prevalent in todays World of Warcraft. The sexual harassment women face aren’t just in the Blizzard workplace, this attitude has trickled down into the players. The sexual harassers in WoW get to constantly walk away free, this game needs to be better moderated to let people know that misogynistic behavior against women will not be tolerated.

So many women are afraid to use voice chat or tell other players they are women simply from the sexism and harassment they face without repercussions from the creeps who play this game. We need real consequences for toxic behavior, getting rid of /spit isn’t the answer.

If you think this doesn’t need to change you are part of the problem. You are the reason people are leaving to FF14, because the moderators actually punish people over there. A new player was going around calling Epstein his role model and a hero to women with his guild name he created being “Cosby Klan”. He received a 20 day ban for his first offense. Last time I tried reporting someone for telling me to kill myself and uninstall the game after kicking me from the party, I was unable to even get in contact with a GM after leaving the ticket open for over a week.

333 Likes

I’ve dealt with a lot of crap for being a woman over the years. Lol.

140 Likes

Except it most likely isn’t offensive teenagers, but 30+ year old manchildren, which is much worse imo

225 Likes

Dealt with quite a lot of TERFS too.

Toxicity is not a masculine thing. It’s a human thing.

337 Likes

I think much of this is partially an oversensitive reaction. We can’t control others, just ourselves.

What I’m afraid of is an overreaction where we can’t even flirt, joke or laugh because we’re being censored so much.

Report. That’s all you can do. And ignore

95 Likes

Are you saying the moderators are the one pushing folks out of the game? or the forums or both?

2 Likes

people need to stop bringing frats into this, this isn’t frat culture it’s gamer culture.

I know nerds like to feel a sense of superiority over the “frat boy” but all it does is creates an imaginary distance between our community and “theirs”, until we take ownership of our own cesspool of a community nothing is ever going to change.

58 Likes

But the parallels are pretty clear though. That is the point being made. it is a form of degenerate elitism in both instances.

28 Likes

“I’m going to make a blanket statement about people on the boards they frequent for attention!”

161 Likes

it started in the playerbase and went into the workplace. Gamers were mostly all male once upon a time and that created a toxic environment for female gamers. The females and males that work at Blizzard are mostly gamers, so you can see how it crept into the workplace.

24 Likes

It’s not something specific to WoW. The misogynists you see in the game are also made up of the polite people at work, the nice guys at the gym, and your lovable cousin who become their true selves behind the cloak of relative anonymity the internet offers them.

70 Likes

It’s not just women. Can we please just treat everyone with respect? How hard is this?

126 Likes

Going to need some statistics on this wild opinion.

45 Likes

I guess I’m the luckiest player, I rarely see truly toxic behavior in the game. More so now because I don’t pay attention to trade chat.

39 Likes

Someone gets it.

63 Likes

What concerns me is good men unable to make a joke or comment because it could be construed as harrassment.

I mean anyone with any sense knows what’s inappropriate and what’s not.

How far are we going to go on censoring people? Until life isn’t fun anymore and everyone is afraid to open their mouth? Pat a co-worker on the shoulder for a job well done when they get a raise?

Stepford wives? Pod people? I’ve seen this swing before and it’s honest to god scary.

Yes, the true creeps need to be called out, but man it’s becoming a land mine field for men especially to tread.

88 Likes

I don’t think wow breed it when it was around before wow even was a game.

11 Likes

The moderators can be overzealous. You can get banned if you tell someone to “focus on the Fire Nail” because it led to a player wipe. You can get banned if you say “git good” or other things (some got banned for using a Bard Addon). Folk are forced to behave because they don’t want to get banned for offending someone or being “toxic”

18 Likes

I love it when people make up stuff!

12 Likes

There’s something oddly neat that humans of all kinds can have an equal chance to be just crappy individuals.

It’s really proof that equality exists

5 Likes