Mana issues

Can we please do something about Holy Priest’s mana. I am tired of healing all I can heal, being just fine and saving the day and looking down to a completely depleted mana bar. If the fight goes on just a little too long, I am oom. In the raids, I can go ham for about 2 minutes and I am sitting on my thumbs waiting for my mana to creep up. Its annoying and we should not be using this much. I go from 2nd on the healing meter to the last because I run out of mana and have to watch every other class keep on trucking. Fix this.

1 Like

I… don’t have… this problem.

Play a monk for mana mgmt questions.

2 Likes

In PVE situations I really don’t understand the priest mana issues complaints I keep hearing. IDK what you are doing but be it mythics, or raids I really don’t have issues and I’m putting out competitive, if not outright higher, HPS than the other healers I am grouped with. Are you using Shadowfiend/Hymn of Hope? I mean I bought 10 mana pots back at the start of the expansion when I figured I would do some pve because I heard all about how bad priest mana was. I currently still have 9 of those mana pots, and the one I used was a misclick when I was trying to move it on my bars.

Holy runs a bit hot on mana in raids: mainly just Mythic because some of these boss fights are almost 9 minutes long with non-stop AOE from start to finish. (Although to be fair mana is an issue for every healer except like Holy Paladins.)

It requires planning ahead of time where you’re going to mana pot (because you can mana pot twice), where are you going to use Symbol of Hope (best at end of fight when everyone is close to OOM), when to use shadowfiend, and when to call for externals. You also need to analyze how much overhealing you’re doing as well because a lot of the times the best thing to do is not cast any heals if raid cds + aoe heals are carrying the healing for a while.

For M+ I don’t have any mana issues at all except if the boss fight is literally 4+ minutes long on Tyrannical weeks on high keys. On trash I’m never oom and I only drink if I’m going into a boss.

Yeah… I don’t think mana is too bad for Holy Priest, it’s not eternal but it’s totally manageable, other specs have it worse imo.

It can get tight in long fights but that’s how it’s supposed to be, if the fight is very short then sure, “go ham”… If the fight is a bit longer then you need to manage it more.

Too much Prayer of Healing spam will generally be what runs you out of mana I believe… Maybe look into using Hymn or Salvation in those situations rather than spamming it. Or maybe if another healer is using a CD there just let him handle it that time and focus on the low-health people.

Not saying to not use PoH just don’t abuse it too much and ideally try to have Prayer Circle and Sanctified prayers active when you do, having the Miracle Worker talent makes it easier to ensure you can meet this condition without losing out on keeping HW: Sanctify on cooldown.

Holy Paladin also runs hot on Mana in long fights now, Luckily for us Potion of Chilled Clarity works very well with our kit since it’s all instant-casts so a lot of us run Alacritous Alchemist Stone to deal with this so we can have the potion up every other wings use.

That is in the melee version at least, not sure how it goes for the caster H Pala since I always go melee-version.

One thing that’s kind of crazy now is the new mana spring totem. Each healer was getting about an extra 10k mana back a minute from our Shaman last night.

Try using shadow fiend to CD, and symbol of hope as soon as you have 50% of your mana.
Try to get the trinket from reg. of mana of the raid and according to your stats try the raid configuration that best suits you, some use light weaver(mastery/critic) and others use prayer of mending(cel/critic=mastery), the latter is very efficient in terms of mana.

Yes, I am not built for raiding I get that… I could sacrifice haste and crit for more mastery at this point also…

Then again I do like landing big fast heals. I get it all depends on your build and your stats but right now I am built for speed and big heals, I still should go oom in what seems like seconds if I have to save the day.

For Raids yeah try leaning into Mastery and Crit over Haste but generally almost always prefer higher-item level regardless… And I mean stats do matter to an extend but unless extreme cases I don’t think that’s very likely to be what’s causing your mana problems. It’s much more likely related to build, playstile or a combination of both…

Again as Holy Priest you do need to manage your mana in long encounters but it’s not particularly bad compared to other healers, if you are going OOM in 2mins or (in general) much earlier than the other healers in the group then there’s probably something about either your build or your playstile that’s causing it and not really a problem with the spec itself.

If you post what build you are running along with some logs, or if no logs at least a breakdown of your spell usage during a fight (fight duration, number of casts for each spell, etc) then maybe people here will be able to give you some pointers.

I am curious to know what happened to 5% of my holy priest’s max mana. Up until a week or two ago I have 275K (with Reserve of Intellect chest enchant). Now I have 262K (with the same enchant). Where did that 5% disappear to?

1 Like

Idk what content level you are working with but I also do not have mana problems. I’m not pushing crazy hard content though. Just 3+ mythica and raid finder.

The heal/flash heal capstone talent is pretty mandatory for mana management, then you have shadowfiend, and power word pain on mobs that are dying.

Also, the capstone talent that buffs your holy word serenity also decreases the mana of your flash heal and heal spell by 20%, so can be used during heavy hps times.

Looking at your talents (assuming they are the ones you use) you have a somewhat complicated mix.

I leave you two options to use in raid, one based on lightweaver and the one on prayer on mending and renew.

The lightweaver build has great heals for two (3 if you consider yourself) targets. here divine word +serenty will have good results. If possible try to avoid healing with prayer of healing, unless absolutely necessary and after using circle of healing. A weakaura that lets you know how many lightweaver stacks you have would be helpful.

The second option significantly reduces the healing of your mastery, since renew does not activate it, here haste has a more relevant role, your main healing will come from POM and renw.

In both builds your holy words help, and in the same way in both divine can use it with serenenity or sanctify, without fear of feeling that he has made a mistake. In both builds we are reducing our damage, as in raids we as holy priest are expected to focus on reactive healing.

I am not built for raids. I would be more mastery based and more focused if that was the case. What I have is more burst, faster healing and high crit chances. I can deplete my mana bar in about a minute with just flash heal and heal procing the four piece crit chance and dropping huge single target heals. It takes a huge toll on mana though.

I looked at your logs out of curiosity and I saw on one your mana bar went from 100% to 0% in 2:30 minutes.

I looked at your casts and the biggest culprit is casting too many flash heals. In those 2:30 minutes you casted Flash Heal 44 times (7 were Surge of Light procs), Heal 6, PoM 5, and Serenity 6. Also, you didn’t use Shadowfiend, Holy Word Salvation, or Circle of Healing.

Flash Heal uses 3.6% of your mana so casting it 37 times is basically equal to your entire mana bar.

If I compare myself to the same part of the fight: I casted Flash Heal 15 times (5 were Surge of Light), PoH 14, CoH 12, PoM 12, Serenity 6, Divine Word 2, and Holy Word Salv 1. Also, since I’m running an Answered Prayers build I got Apotheosis 2 times which lets me cast Holy Words for free, and quickly reset them.

My mana bar went from 100% to 60% in the same 2.5 minutes and I got 17914 mana back from Shadowfiend and 6202 from the evoker buff.

So if you shift away from hard casting Flash Heal as your primary heal and switch towards using CoH, PoM, Holy Words/Divine Word, Halo/Divine Star, and raid cds you’ll maintain much better mana efficiency.

1 Like

This is the issue again. I agree with your assessment however I am not built for raids. This is a Mythic+ build. I dont change them. I am talking with this build in Mythic+ mainly, not raiding. I understand there are other things in raids to slow it down but you should know you cant do all that in a M+, Flash heal is the go to heal other than spamming PoM, Serinity and Life. Instant cast are a must with very few other AOE heals being worth a crap.

Genuinely trying to help here:

You should still be weaving in a ton of heals in M+ content (that is why people take Lightweaver), and using Shadowfiend frequently. You should be casting heal once for each FH you do to consume lightweaver. The one M+ log I see from you, you’ve got 226 flash heal casts to 82 heals. It’s why you’re running out of mana so fast. In fact, you’re using lightweaver so infrequently it’s making up ~140 HPS or so.

Flash heal is one of our least mana efficient spells. It’s less than half the healing per mana spent of a LW heal. It’s even worse than your 20 prayer of healing casts on your mana (and that’s saying something). Also taking the PoM talents, you’re not using it enough either - especially if you’ve got tier and can reduce heal’s cast more. In total you cast it 10 times - and didn’t get a single apoth proc from it.

I’ve gotten to 20s using holy and never really experienced serious mana issues outside a couple bosses that can be rough - especially when people mess up.

1 Like

Really a good assessment. I will look into this more tonight when I log in.

Swap disc. That should fix it

1 Like

So I did a LFR last night with my regular build, I didnt change anything from before but I did try to work on my PoM cast and get as many of those on cool down as possible. I also was paid way more attention to Sanctify cool downs and tried to use it as much as possible. The other main thing I tried to keep in mind was the lightweaver aspect and build a charge and spend a charge (or two), I tried to not use PoH as much and threw in some circles as (I will say I forgot about this during most) but doing all of that, it did help in mana department.

I guess I really was not paying attention to just a lot of things I was doing wrong that lead up to me using flash so much and dodging the others.

I did go oom in the second phase of Grimtotem but that fight was just nuking folks left and right.

I have been out of Wow for a minute and went from Holy paladin that never went oom it seems to this guy and I have been working at getting him better even with the casual 2 hour window I have most days.

If you wanna look at last nights run and critique it I would not mind the glance.

Thanks!