Malific Rapture

Looking at the new hellcaller tree and seeing reference to malific rapture. Its like they haven’t been paying attention for the past 2 years. We don’t want malific rapture trash that spell bliz, we already have seed, we don’t need a second spender. We don’t want malific rapture. We need a single target spender, not an aoe spender.

19 Likes

I mean they should be ignoring terrible feedback.

YOU don’t want MR. I do want MR because it’s what’s making Aff viable in ST without breaking council. MR is the ST spender. Currently you use MR up to five targets.

3 Likes

I would actually say it is you that is now out of touch. Malefic Rapture has been fine with me ever since they removed that one passive where you had to stack it 3 times (Malefic Affliction?) which was less than a year ago. And I think that is the general consensus among most Aff players I know, that stack pain point being removed fixed a lot.

Another interesting DoT is right up Afflictions alley. I for one am happy, and as someone who recently rolled off Aff to Hunter, its making me question if I want to revert that decision.

7 Likes

Rather remove seed, honestly.

2 Likes

Can’t we agree they should get rid of siphon life, or at least revert it to passive (and obviously retune around it being gone for rapture value/etc ).

10 Likes

No.

They just need to make VT apply SL and agony

2 Likes

Nahh
but if were asking for stuff that wont happen they can get rid of Vile taint and replace it with a talent that makes Seed also apply agony and siphon life.

Reduce the button bloat.

5 Likes

The problem with SL is no way to mass spread it like corruption and agony. I wish blizzard would go the shadow crash route and let either VT or seed mass apply/spread all dots. This would make using MR in AoE way easier as I personally hate the current spam seed with doom blossom in AoE.

Could we either get

A) MR stays, but Darkglare gets changed to not be a pet summons based on extending the Unstable Affliction spell from Legion.
B) MR goes, we get UA back that actually hits hard as dot spender, and Darkglare has a point again.

Affliction just feels like it is still built with Legion UA in mind, but without that spell.

My 2 cents is I wouldn’t mind if Haunt became the Soul Shard spender again for Affliction, treat it like Unstable Affliction from Legion, burst is spam a bunch of Haunts on your target.

Could move the Haunted Soul talent further up the tree then, and make it so each active Haunt causes targets not affected by Haunt to take whatever % more damage from your dots while active. (If it wasn’t obvious I’m a fan of Haunt, well uh… you should now, LOL)

Beyond that… I’d prefer Siphon Life becoming a passive for Corruption again, reduce button bloat, make Absolute Corruption more competitive and make the spec easier to manage for newer players. Even if MR is kept (which Blizz seems intent on), they can just tinker with the scaling if Affliction locks don’t do enough damage without the extra Siphon Life dot.

3 Likes

It’s literally insane how many people don’t actually understand why MR exists.

Then the people who advocate for us spender coming back don’t realize it wasn’t that good.

3 Likes

I think you’re missing that people are arguing for Legion Affliction to come back, which WAS very good, scaled very well, and was one of the last times Affliction felt really good to alot of people.

Whether that was UA, the weapon, or other talents that contributed to the overall package, people just want a strong identity for Affliction back, and MR does not offer that.

Personally I wish they had gone with some version of Rapid Contagion from the pvp talents and made that work as a pve shard spender, but I get where people wanted UA spender back because it is a direct dot that distinguishes between ST and AOE in a way that MR has issues doing.

6 Likes

The game isn’t how it was in legion so a legion playstyle won’t work. It’s even more rough in aoe than the current iteration so it makes zero sense.

People need to realize that the playstyle they want is going to make Aff not viable. A strong dot damage profile will either be extremely weak in st or broken on council.

MR doesn’t have issues Up to 5 targets you MR. It’s not a super hard concept.

I’m curious about that, because from what I recall of Aff in Legion (I have only played it halfheartedly since), the way UA worked was EXPRESSLY single target and allowed it to be amazingly strong in single target situations. Seed (and mobs blowing up as they died off) made Affliction’s AOE strong, but it was more in the small target count 2-4 targetsi (council) fights where the Legion UA was an issue.

UA in Legion was balanced around being a single target spender, and it ticked VERY hard. Spreading it around to a council like fight was actually a bit counter productive, because you didn’t get more bang for your buck out of it that way. Darkglare was designed for it, as you could throw 5 UAs on a target during burst, hit your haste CD, and Darkglare to extend the UA to deal basically double damage over the courset of its run.

Legion Aff was incredibly well designed for ST, but poor for council. Now MR feels like a spell designed for council fights, that has to be made to scale less well in ST to account for that.

This is not to say it would work NOW, but MR is literally designed to be a spell for multiple targets, Legion UA was the opposite and totally single target.

2 Likes

I cant remember BFA very well let alone Legion.

FM and MR are the current tools Blizz has to keep Aff good in ST and strong in Council.

wowdb.cm/spells/339500-focused-malignancy

I mean yea, talents have been added to make it work (though that talent WAS added as this xpac went on, it didn’t come with launch), but because it does cleave targets that have dots on them it has to be balanced slightly less strong than a purely ST spell.

I would wager the fact that Aff has had such an issue with single target damage this xpac is because of MR, because if they buff it enough for ST, it carries over into its cleave.

1 Like

Legion Aff was not well designed. It was being hard carried by the artifact weapon and was massively overtuned after the first balance pass. Affliction was incredibly bad early on in Emerald Nightmare.

We had Legion Aff in BFA minus the artifact weapon and the spec was borderline unplayable in m+. The spec needed the rework and going back to a UA spender will be a mistake.

I don’t see anything wrong with this. I already don’t run STS in keys as is and why do spriest get to have stuff like Psychic Link which does what MR does in cleave but requires way less setup and gcds to get rolling but its an issue for affliction to do the same?

MR is not the issue with the spec. The crazy amount of setup is and the only way the player can fix it is spam seed/blossom and do terrible ST. We can live in a world we have both if other specs in the game can.

Not understanding why MR is needed is short minded.

By a minority of the warlock playerbase on the forums. The lock forums do not speak for everyone.

The suggestions I am ignoring have been terrible. No one has yet to give a good idea that wouldnt cause Aff to be either weak in St or broken in council.

Most of it translates into “cwefgewrfdf MR bad”

That sounds mind numbingly boring to play.

This is a subjective opinion. Aff is buttons are only an issue between 2-5 targets due to needing to get agony/corruption/SL on all 5 targets in order to MR. Aff is fine in ST which is how it should stay.

No its not. It addresses the main issue Aff has which is 2-5 targets, it leaves ST fine as is and helps in the area it actually has issues.

Thinking thats even what I said is actually short minded. I said MR and FM are how Blizz is tuning Aff to be viable in ST and be good in council fights too.

id go back to affliction in a heartbeat if they went back to malefic grasp/drain play-style. mop aff and legion aff so good man.

9 Likes

I do find it interesting how basically every warlock streamer and commetator when reading the hero talents says some version of “oh, guess aff is getting stuck with MR for another expansion, aff lovers aren’t going to be pleased”

Not to say they are right, but it seems shockingly consistent.

3 Likes