Malfurion is probably the wisest leader the alliance currently has

I will start by saying I’m a huge orc/night elf/blood elf fan and I generally like the vast majority of other races in the game and their depictions. The other day however I was discussing the night elf lore and how foolish it was for malfurion to banish the high borne instead of allowing them to stay. It was brought to my attention however that the high borne had become militant about their right to magic and under dath’remar sunstrider they were far from push overs. If he had allowed the high borne to stay with the night elves fear and hate of magic it would have ended in a very bloody civil war. A war that the night elves would have won but at a cost that may have shattered their society a second time.

The fact is that in by banishing the high borne he allowed both societies to flourish with out any cost of life, or loss of face for either leader. Malfurion is a god tier druid and the poster child for his class but that’s not what makes him a great character, it’s his wisdom to know that most problems can be solved without ever having to use his power at all. He is truly a leader that knows how to lead a society

5 Likes

Didn’t Metzen call him a badass and say it was his favorite lore character?

3 Likes

“A kingdom is not a place, but a people.” ~ Mia Greymane

That quote alone automatically makes her the wisest and most badass leader in the Aliance.

I believe so though metzen is a sucker for naturally wise and benevolent characters. I’m generally more of a fan or characters like dath’remar who started off powerful but arrogant and grew into the role of a wise and benevolent leader

2 Likes

Is this a joke? can I laugh?

@topic I’m sorry that you think that he is wise, he is not wise, he is intelligent, every expansion that he is prominent he is either a donzel in peril or he is fooled by the enemy or both, so the humans can save him or Tyrande.

I want wc3’s malfurion back…

the banish of the Highborne was a clever punishment, not a wise decision for both people to thrive, he was giving a death sentence without staining his hand with blood, the wiser decision should have been a way that both ppl could coexist. but I thank him for that, without it I would never be a glamorous Blood elf <3

1 Like

Still galien here. I’m judging based off of actions not one liners, don’t get me wrong she is an amazing character that needs to be expanded on but she hasn’t prevented bloody civil wars or led people with vastly different world views against a demonic onslaught that should have by all rights ended the world

Metzen: I would just say too, I mean Malfurion’s always been, personally, my favorite Warcraft hero. He’s my favorite to write, so I’ve waited a long time to get this guy back into the mix, and have him play a significant role in the shaping of Azeroth.

http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/chris_metzen_micky_neilson_pocket_star_books_lore_qa_video_interview

2 Likes

Um how exactly would that have worked? The high borne stop using magic? Dath’remar was far too proud for that and going off if raw ability he was nearly on par with malfurion when it came to the arcane. The highborne wouldn’t have yielded and they wouldn’t have went down without a fight. The only way there could ever be peace was separation, it’s that simple the highborne had their own destiny there was no reason to keep them from it

1 Like

You should tell that to Lor’themar!

4 Likes

don’t ask me, i was not the one putting them on that hole, but you told me he was ‘’ wise’’ nad i’m just telling you that a wise leader would have found common ground between both sides, but in the end he choose to exile the highborne to a fate that at the time of the decision was the same as a death sentence.

the decision was clever, necessary and i dare say just, but it was not a wise one for the leader of his ppl.

I feel like writing for malfurion would be extremely hard. He’s a character that really tugs at my heart strings his brother illidan was just as talented a mage as he was a druid and he watched his own brother lose himself to power. The amount of trauma that must have inflicted is indescribable I imagine it leaving him up at night wondering if he ever lost himself to anger how far he may have gone. I think that’s why he may have also banished the highborne to give dath’remar and his people the chance he couldn’t give his brother.

2 Likes

Superman characters are problematic because logically they should just be able to solve all our problems for us. So the writing team keeps having to come up with reasons why they don’t (like having Malfurion just be asleep for years, or captured in the Nightmare, or having Thrall lose his mojo because reasons).

Or, and this happens all the time now in the WoW story, we basically just ignore that they exist when they aren’t convenient. Why didn’t Jaina rescue the Alliance at the Broken Shore, for example?

13 Likes

Again what common ground was there to be had? Even if malfurion completely endorsed magic and it’s practice other prominent night elves like the shadow songs were opposed to it. The highborne in the same sense saw the low borne as inferior. Sometimes the only middle ground is to allow both societies to live in peace.

2 Likes

I mean for the jaina question it’s quite obvious. A warlock that can single handedly summon the burning legion shatter the very world with the cypher of damnation and create the foundations of necromancy is at a higher level of power than jaina. As far as malfurion goes he isn’t invincible he can be killed just as easily as any other mortal

2 Likes

On a serious note do you think there could ever be reconciliation between the two races? I feel like the vast difference between the high borne and druids Is that the druids had a teacher someone to guide them in the use of nature magic and what not to do while the highborne simply learned from their own failures.if you look at dalaran’s rules of magic they were written by dath’remar and adopted by the humans. I think the high elves and blood elves are far more humble than what they were 10000 years ago.

1 Like

I mean…maybe?

Given what we’ve seen Jaina do lately, I’m not convinced. After all, they were both attacked by an entire Horde raid, and we kicked Gul’dan’s butt, whereas Jaina merely toyed with us and then teleported away.

Which was my point anyway. Why didn’t Jaina just rescue everyone when things went south? She’s been shown doing mass teleportations before. But that wouldn’t have been convenient so she was basically vanished from the plot.

Same reason Malfurion is conveniently absent all the time. Including right now - do you honestly expect me to believe that the Horde is holding their own in Darkshore against Malfurion and Tyrande, without even having Sylvanas there? Why isn’t he the final boss the Horde fights in that warfront?

Because we’d lose.

9 Likes

Sure I do. Even posted about it way back when:

I also always believed that the Night Elves and High Elves could reunite:

3 Likes

Gul’dan is a living demigod and while jaina is powerful she couldn’t stand the to toe with him alone she would be on the losing end of a very epic battle. As far as mass teleporting everyone idk if that’s a viable option we aren’t talking about a small group of friends we are talking about the literal marching armies of the two most powerful factions in the world that’s a huge undertaking, and with a warlock capable of God knows what it wouldn’t be a prudent strategy

1 Like

I think Jaina could easily give him a run for his money as long as he wasn’t tapping into some sort of magic pool like in Suramar.

Gul’dan is a demigod? Wut? He didn’t seem that tough when he was crying for his mommy after my raid kicked his butt. Unlike, once again, Jaina, who at best became mildly annoyed and left once she had made sure that her fleet was safe. I believe that when she reported back to Anduin she also seemed slightly out of breath.

And she wouldn’t have had to teleport an army (even though she has been shown doing exactly that). She just would have had to teleport one guy. But where was she? Oh right, my point…she was conveniently absent because the writers wanted Varian to die a tragic death.

Oh yeah…Gul’dan was even being juiced up when we crushed him. Jaina didn’t need help to handle us just fine.

2 Likes