Make the spy addon unusable or bannable

Look, I’m not defending spy itself I’m just saying that in order to break spy you would have to change the way the combat log works and that would have dramatic consequences to other addons.

I don’t see anyone complaining they don’t have to manually activate their combat log to look at recount. These “automation” complaints are always so convenient when they apply to something that people hate, but mysteriously disappear when it involves something they like.

2 Likes

You dont have to break the part of spy that makes it work…tell curse and twitch to delete it off their site and put out a PSA on the left side of the screen when you log in that you should DEACTIVATE AND UNINSTALL or risk being banned with a 3 strike youre out system for those who missed the information on the update to the addons use. (1st strike Gm goes “Yo thats illegal addon, gotta uninstall dude”, 2nd is a message from a GM saying “We are logging you out; Uninstall this addon, use it again youre risking a ban” 3rd strike = Ban)

ALSO if youre going to quote me quote the whole thing: What was said was:

"Ah so what youre saying is it automates something you would have to manually activate yourself, not much different than TM or Details? "

Its not a complaint; please dont drop the most important part of the sentence youre quoting thanks.

No one has ever, or will ever be banned for using an in game addon.

Just because you said 'Or will ever" im going to point out that if you had an addon that edited game files for certain things to happen (You know speed hacks…still addons on the base definition of addon/Mod) that would be a ban.

Never say never.

You are confusing third party programs with in game addons.

Possibly but id be more inclined to say yes and no; All addons are mods; but not all mods are addons; a Mod is a third party edit to the game files; the exact same thing a 3rd party program would do just in a more invasive way to the files (Editing movement speed VS editing You character pane to be animated)

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make, but addons are not some crazy hack that the population figured out how to make. They are built with a meticulously constructed API that Blizzard themselves created for that purpose. As such they can not manipulate game files, they can not be used to speed hack and you will never ever be banned for using an in game addon. If Blizzard doesn’t like what an addon does, they change the API. They have never and will never ban a player for using an addon.

So play without addons. Problem solved. Don’t force others into your box.

I think the problem is we all share the same box. The spy add on affects other players. We are not in a single player game with adjustable mods. We are in a multiplayer game and your addons, if they affect me, are subject to my opinion as well.

1 Like

Everything’s subject to everyone’s opinion, everywhere. But we are all free to play without addons if it bothers us so much, just as we are all free to play with them. Trying to force people not to use them, especially when Blizzard, the game developer, has no issue, is not cool.

However things like Babble were removed from vanilla; and those who had found a way to continue using it found themselves banned. It was a small group but i know of 2 people on Anetheron back in the day who found a way to edit it to be a seperate pane that translated orcish to the old LOGGED gibberish laguage (Apple in orc = DT ooga in gibberish for example; it would then go DT ooga = Boots and cats in Common Boots and cats in common = DT ooga = Apples), Youre correct they usually discontinue an addon or remove the API access (where your reference to turning off what makes it work would end alot of other addons) HOWEVER my point is this Addon can be coupled with Illegal 3rd party addons to be used to make Human racials obsolete as everyone can couple a co-ords program and respawn/Pathing tracker with SPY to create an addon that gives exact position of someone every time they cast something on a overworld mob Wont work with player on player but anything with set paths ( And call it w.e: Mods, programs W.e on a coding level its all the same thing; just one is legally accessable files provided by blizz and the other is not and is decripted and edited into API which makes it illegal)

Oh I agree with that. No one should be forced to use the add on. I was just stating that if someone does use one, and it affects me detrimentally to my game play, I have the right to complain and explain my case.

1 Like

It’s rare that I come to an agreement with someone on the forums here but here we are. Thanks for being cordial :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same, thank you as well.

1 Like

It ruined my AH experience! I can no longer get good deals when other people are spying them before I get there!

ok, so this is a great question. so the default combat log is defaulted like a heavily filtered log, you have to go into options and play with the filters, once you do, you can see all of this information, its pretty insane what it shows.

2 Likes

Ok, then ban the people using them. Third party programs are already illegal.

Agreed; However someone in my guild pointed out you dont even need 3rd party programs; you just need to find a way to link Atlas Co-Ords, Spy and a map overlay that shows the possible location / path of the mobs in range at the time the spy addon gave out the warning and its BETTER than human racial (Against a rogue) and is available for EVERY race not just humans. When it comes to other classes it basically automates one form of hunter tracking, improves on it AND makes it available for every class again; something

I’m not sure what your point is again. That addons can take wild guesses about where an enemy might be?

Yes that is the point lol, but youre failing to realize with enough co-ordination information on mob spawns its not a wild guess its a literal one of 3 spots along a set path. thats not wild guessing thats providing a map. if it was real life comparison that would be like your compass+Map showing you exactly what path the deer youre tracking could have taken with almost exact certainty with the variable of displacement (Variable of displacement meaning youre tracking a living thing not a AI like a mob in a game). This isnt a GIANT map like it seems. Ungoro for example is 4 cells…thats tiny.

As for spy telling you when someone respawns; thats not that wild of a guess. theres a specific range you have to be in to ressurect. The best way to describe it was on another thread but its pretty true “It takes the spacial awareness out of PvP; the one thing that defines skill in pvp”