Make survival ranged

Ok but if u gotto choose between ranged survival and removing druid b.rez what would it be?

ranged surv :heart_eyes:

even if druids lost brez/every healer got it resto druids would still be way too broken for mythic+ for a variety of other reasons

2 Likes

I feel like survival should be considered a skirmisher and not melee or ranged. You can disengage, use aspect of the eagle and the melee you are fighting just wasted their burst. Mages blink? Harpoon and wing clip, net and cheetah. Fighting in an epic Bg and itā€™s big group fights? Poison everyone and grenade, wait for someoneā€™s hp to drop at least below 50% harpoon in finish them off and disengage then repeat. Sv hunters are a blend of melee and ranged and have some truly unique gameplay.

2 Likes

LMAO!! :rofl:

How about we leave survival the way it is and add a 4th spec called something and make it old survival, then everyone gets what they want (besides the ā€˜I donā€™t want other people to have what they wantā€™ players).

8 Likes

Survival is weird to play, Iā€™ll give you that. My initial impression was that it would be a very dynamic class, hopping in for some melee dps, hopping out for some ranged dps or to throw traps/bombs. That is not how it works though. Itā€™s like thereā€™s half a complete idea there, but it was never finished.

Fine with a 4th spec but the precedent that would set for other classes might be too much headache than it is worth for Blizzard.

Say locks wanting a spec built around Meta (not only ripped away but given to another class - quite salty).

Bring back MoP survival!

<3

9 Likes

My only thing with the other two specs is that one you are basically a sniper. having a pet out lowers your DPS.
the other you use multiple pets.

I want a hunter spec where you use just one pet for it, but are still ranged. Iā€™m not saying make survival ranged. having the melee spec, if it would actually get some rework to be viable, makes hunters a bit more varied.

NOTE: I do take the DPS loss when Iā€™m playing solo on my mm hunter. but if i ever get intogroup content with her, imma have to rethink how i play her. i donā€™t think itll come to that though. there are at least four characters ahead of her I am more likely to play.

no.
on the PTR SV is just fine.
Leave it like it is.
And MM is finally a blast to play.

1 Like

ā€œToo many peopleā€ is a lie. It has barely a fraction of the presence that ranged survival had. While Iā€™m outside zones and pugs Iā€™ve barely seen 15 Survival hunters in the past two expansions since it got changed. In the top 200 hunter parses for normal/heroic/mythic raids there are barely 5 survival hunters in each rank, and the only reason people play survival in PvP is cause the other two specs are somehow bad.

Survival needs to be reverted back to ranged and blizzard needs to realize that their experiment failed. No one plays a hunter to be melee, they play them to be ranged.

9 Likes

Citation needed. Itā€™s a well known fact that Melee Survival is a barely represented spec in almost all content. Meanwhile, Ranged Survival was routinely one of the most popular specs throughout its existence. Outside of the tail end of HFC when they completely killed it, akin to Demonology in preparation for the Legion changes.

I agree with this though. I can understand wanting to make a melee hunter spec, considering Rexxar is melee. But it 100% should not have come at the expense of one of the most popular specs in the games history.

Also, oof. I think this is the first Aviela post Iā€™ve liked. Has hell frozen over? :stuck_out_tongue:

Good for you. Meanwhile I donā€™t feel like I need a melee spec on a class that was defined as a RANGED attacker. And was such, for most of its lifetime. :slight_smile:

Considering Ranged Survival is very different, both mechanically and thematically from both BM and MM, Iā€™d say your statement is pretty flawed. And people who say ā€œbut they are the sameā€ are woefully ignorant. Thatā€™s like me saying all 3 rogue specs are the same because they all use combo points and can utilize stealth. Totally the same! /rolls eyes.

7 Likes

Says the level 57 DKā€¦this spec is fun for me and prefer it stays the way it is. If it suddenly changes because of someone who probably doesnā€™t even play a hunter, then I hope the sweatiest neckbeardiest Kultiran dude follows you around to the ends of the earthā€¦

This is a big part of the issue though. Melee survival wasnā€™t designed FOR hunters. It was designed to get OTHERS to try hunters. So it alienated a huge portion of its existing playerbase. Players who had no choice but to quit or reroll, because their spec of years and years and years was suddenly deleted from the game.

Like I said, Iā€™m all for a melee hunter spec, for people interested in a Rexxar thematic, or players who didnā€™t like hunter due to the whole ranged w/pet bit. But it should have been a 4th spec, not a replacement to one of the most popular specs in the game.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll rephrase for both of you. if anyone likes melee survival, it is more than enough reason to keep it. Thatā€™s the end of that conversation. A spec doesnā€™t need to be destroyed when a fourth spec is the obvious solution.

This is also false considering the AWC is nothing but survival hunters when a hunter is actually present, and the top end of the ladder is survival because BM does no damage in PvP.

This is a ranking of all current BFA season 4 hunters. Above 2k+ in 3v3 (which is the bracket which matters), there are 292 hunters. 250 of them are survival. Thatā€™s a pretty overwhelming representation. Thatā€™s 85.6% of hunters at a decent rating.

In 2ā€™s, the numbers are around the same. Above 2k+, there are 364 hunters. 300 of them are survival. Thatā€™s 82.4% out of 100% are survival.

6 Likes

I liked Ranged Survival so by your argument there was more than enough reason to not destroy the spec by changing it to melee that barely anyone plays now compared to the old survival.

9 Likes

Or just make Melee survival a spec that doesnā€™t suck.

I feel its almost intentional. Because if Survival was ever the best spec between the three, Hunters would be outraged at being forced into melee to compete.

1 Like

Everything they would give to ranged survival (explosives, traps, gadgets etc.) can instead be given to a Tinker class, so no.

Tinker class is just engineering, try again

Then there is no need for a 3 range specs for warlocks and mages or 3 melee specs for rogues.

Most people choose hunters as a range class . Even Ion said they made melee survival as a niche spec.

4 Likes