Make survival ranged

Says the level 57 DK…this spec is fun for me and prefer it stays the way it is. If it suddenly changes because of someone who probably doesn’t even play a hunter, then I hope the sweatiest neckbeardiest Kultiran dude follows you around to the ends of the earth…

This is a big part of the issue though. Melee survival wasn’t designed FOR hunters. It was designed to get OTHERS to try hunters. So it alienated a huge portion of its existing playerbase. Players who had no choice but to quit or reroll, because their spec of years and years and years was suddenly deleted from the game.

Like I said, I’m all for a melee hunter spec, for people interested in a Rexxar thematic, or players who didn’t like hunter due to the whole ranged w/pet bit. But it should have been a 4th spec, not a replacement to one of the most popular specs in the game.

7 Likes

I’ll rephrase for both of you. if anyone likes melee survival, it is more than enough reason to keep it. That’s the end of that conversation. A spec doesn’t need to be destroyed when a fourth spec is the obvious solution.

This is also false considering the AWC is nothing but survival hunters when a hunter is actually present, and the top end of the ladder is survival because BM does no damage in PvP.

This is a ranking of all current BFA season 4 hunters. Above 2k+ in 3v3 (which is the bracket which matters), there are 292 hunters. 250 of them are survival. That’s a pretty overwhelming representation. That’s 85.6% of hunters at a decent rating.

In 2’s, the numbers are around the same. Above 2k+, there are 364 hunters. 300 of them are survival. That’s 82.4% out of 100% are survival.

6 Likes

I liked Ranged Survival so by your argument there was more than enough reason to not destroy the spec by changing it to melee that barely anyone plays now compared to the old survival.

9 Likes

Or just make Melee survival a spec that doesn’t suck.

I feel its almost intentional. Because if Survival was ever the best spec between the three, Hunters would be outraged at being forced into melee to compete.

1 Like

Everything they would give to ranged survival (explosives, traps, gadgets etc.) can instead be given to a Tinker class, so no.

Tinker class is just engineering, try again

Then there is no need for a 3 range specs for warlocks and mages or 3 melee specs for rogues.

Most people choose hunters as a range class . Even Ion said they made melee survival as a niche spec.

4 Likes

Guess we’ll see, won’t we.

No matter what you decide to do, please extend the range of Muzzle during Aspect of the Eagle windows.

2 Likes

All the sane people in this thread that enjoy survival currently beg to differ

1 Like

No, OG survival was melee and based off early-hunters in history where they hunted with spears and stuff, not bows and arrows. Also old ranged survival was hot garbage, it did nothing special and unique. It was a ranged spec with a 20% heal on enemy kills.

2 Likes

Druids say hello

To make everyone happy they should add a fourth spec. Melee sv has been out for so long, that people have become attached to it.

I would like it changed back but would settle for a 4th spec and I’ve been playing hunter since Cata and played range surv from Cata up until they broke it going into patch 6.2 (HFC) in order to convert it over to melee.

1 Like

I really miss my ranged survival hunter. I loved the DoTs. I don’t like BM at all and Marksman (with a pet because Lone Wolf is stupid) just isn’t the same.

Just my two copper, but yeah, some of us miss the old spec. :sob:

4 Likes

Who knows what blizzard’s ideas are going forward. Maybe they decide a melee battle mage and a melee demo spec is the way to go :smiley:

I suppose a more productive avenue at this point is talking about how to improve the melee survival spec for SL as that decision has already been made by the dev team :man_shrugging:

Did they have 4 from the beginning (or near the beginning) of wow? I forget

My point is that if they do it now then the flood gates would open for the other three-spec classes to demand a 4th of whatever people believe their ideal version of a spec was. Possibly some MOP variant. Do you not agree?

Not from the begining because Guardian was originally part of feral .

But with that said when they made bear feral it’s own spec with Guardian they opened the door for others classes to have 4 specs and to be honest Survival should of remained range but with melee abilities to help get back to range .

The melee abilities were mainly defensive ones and most damage was actually done from range.

Surv may have been mainly melee prior to the first or 2nd patch of vanilla but like it’s current counter part it was mostly only viable in pvp . The primarily range version made it viable in both pve and pvp.