Make all achievements officially account wide

So there are basically two lines of thought with this that I would really enjoy them changing/adding into the game for achievement points. The first is that they officially make it so the total count for achievement points is reflected across every piece of the game. What I mean by this is that if you look at your guild roster and sort it by achievement points, only your achievement points for that character shows up. As someone who played this game for nearly a decade now and took achievement points very seriously for the majority of that, I felt extremely discouraged for ever trying to achievement hunt after changing mains. One of the biggest ways I’ve noticed of other people realizing how many achievement points we have is on the guild roster, and when I used to main a hunter that had 24k achievement points back when that was a really high number to have, people took notice of my achievement points and that made me want to keep farming them.

Once I swapped mains in WoD, I went to a ret paladin who had about 4k achievement points total to his name, who no one would even mention during this raid breaks where people talk about random stuff like, “who has the most achievement points in the guild”

Ultimately I understand how silly this could look to someone else who doesn’t farm achievement points, but it really did remove a huge drive I had for one of my favorite aspects of the game, and it felt like I was choosing between a main I no longer found fun, who would have all my achievements I earned from playing the game, to rerolling on someone new who had no recognition for the achievements I made throughout the years playing the game.

Now the second type of achievement change I would love to see them add would be to truly make every achievement “account wide”. What I mean by this is that when there is an achievement to, lets say kill all the rares on Argus, they make every character’s credit toward that achievement count instead of just making it a per-character basis. I truly feel that fixing this system and making it completely account wide would be an amazing addition to the game, and would make “achievement hunting” a lot more fun for many people who I am sure are in a similar situation where changing mains just ruined their drive to hunt for those juicy achievement points.

47 Likes

I think the argument against the above is the, “this is a Role Playing Game” argument. Not that it’s right or wrong. At the same time, so much of the game / achievement / collecting systems are account wide now.

Main Swapping is a thing that happens when they add new classes / races / allied races. I suppose you could race change a main but not class change a main.

I understand the frustration. I understand the role playing game argument. I understand there are things working against the role playing game argument. Probably, because I’ve only had one main, I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other.

5 Likes

I think making the achievement account wide would be a great idea, especially when it comes to repeats of dungeons, or raids. It would certainly make it easier to keep track of which achievements to collect or do. Especially if you all of sudden find a race or class you really enjoy and switch mains.

19 Likes

There should be a “hard option” (so to speak) for account wide achievements so those who want to RP can and those of us that don’t think of our clump of pixels as an individual can see our exact count no matter what character we’re on.

In my opinion, the “Display Only Character Achievements to Others” is not working properly since Tovi shows 15k AP instead of the 25,360 that I actually have. If I don’t have this checked, my Armory and Guild Roster should show my account’s progression and not an individual charater’s.

5 Likes

If it is really just an RP reason that they havent already done this then they could easily work around that. Just make the achievement system the same as it is now for RP realms and update the rest of the game with the actual account wide achievements. If this sounds hard to implement, then Id like to point out that they went out of their way to keep RP realms from having cross realm and sharding and stuff to keep the RP element alive. If thats whats holding them back, then do this for achievements.

Because honestly, when you step back and look at the account wide achievement system as a whole right now, it looks like a complete mess. It seems like making achievements completely account wide is a task they undertook, and then completely stopped mid way and havnt worked on since. There is literally no reason to NOT make them truly account wide, and it would open up achievement hunting as a viable option of something to do in the game.

Right now, in the past couple of expansions, Blizz continues to make such crazy, drastic, and huge shifts in how classes play from patch to patch that anyone wanting to achievement hunt feels like they are just going to get screwed over when blizz does one of these changes to their class, and their main that they funneled so many hours into achievement hunting on now feels completely worthless.

I have the MoP CM gear on my DK, and I cant even describe how s*** it feels that they have continued to change them more and more each expansion, to the point where I just don’t find it fun anymore. In cata, frost DKs got huge changes from wrath for obvious reasons, and were this awesome, fast paced melee duel wielding bad a** and every single xpax they slow down they rotation more and more and more and more, to the point where a sim’d frost DK has a total of 25% downtime where they just sit there waiting for spells. Anyway, it just feels like all the cosmetic and achievements I have on him are just such a complete waste of time.

10 Likes

This is not a role playing game and hasnt been so in a long time, achievements should be account wide as you are the puppet master playing all the different roles. RPG has lost its true meaning in the online gaming world, its not the same anymore.

22 Likes

QFT.
+1 from me.

6 Likes

hmmm so what does the rpg in mmorpg stand for then?

one of the dumber things I’ve read on these forums tbh

Nope, is more than 2. Another option is adapting to the system, instead of trying to change the system to suit you. When I open my guild roster and sort it by achievement points, I see only 15 people in the top 20 spots. This is because I take up 6 of them by myself. That’s right matey, I have a cumulative total of over 110k (23k+19k+19k+17k+16k+16k) achievement points spread over 6 characters. I never despaired when playing alts and just went out and got (most of) the damn things again for the heck of it. Now, if I ever were to feel like changing mains (which I haven’t yet), I’d have no problem catching up.

So here’s just another voice with yet another opinion, a “+1” to a third option: maintaining the status quo. (Actually, I was enjoying the first iteration of the achievement system, when nothing was account wide. I liked being able to see how my alts’ achievements stacked up against my main).

3 Likes

Only roleplaying you see in wow is guys playing as girls, or the old term Manginas…

4 Likes

I would like to see more achievements accountwide as well. Reputation has never been account wide. If they don’t want reputation to be account wide, I think they should implement a system where by association, your characters bring status to each others reputation. Perhaps each patch or on some holiday mail out tokens give reputation bonus of 10% of the rep from all other characters on the account. This can get cumbersome. Just adding the rep of all characters together would be easier. I guess blizzard doesn’t really like altoholics, even though altoholics are less likely to get bored and unsub.

3 Likes

I agree completely, Blizzard’s argument against achievements not being account wide is because they want people to always feel a sense of progression on each character or something, at least for milestone achievements. Achievement points not representing the entirety of your time on Warcraft still makes no sense. I have about 14k achieve points and it only shows I have 10k or so in my guild which sucks cause I am my guilds achievement hunter. Also reputations aren’t account wide either, another extremely annoying aspect of the game.

6 Likes

Just get rid of points altogether. Keep the achievement system, but ditch the points.

The points are (almost) useless, but keep causing complaints and/or confusion because of their implementation issues.

Doing so would require minor changes to the pet battle unlocks and maybe some other minor systems that I’m forgetting.

1 Like

I also hope all the achievements to be account wide :frowning:

5 Likes

I would love to see all Achievements being account-wide. Nothing sucks more than when you have changed re-rolled to another class, due to pursuing another fantasy that aligns more with your personality, as I’ve grown and matured. Only to see when looking through your achievements “achievement not earned by Sultryvixen”. Also your numerical amount within your guild is so small when re-rolling, and discounts all the achievement hunting you’ve done thus far. Because lets be real, It’s all about having something to show for your time and commitment to the game. I really hope that this is changed. I’m sure it effects more people that don’t speak up about it.

13 Likes

I have posted on the same thing a few times already. I wholeheartedly agree and want to show my support here too for the exact same reasons. My dk has all my achievement points and is no longer my main. In fact, I don’t have a main because Blizz will nerf a class into the ground in the middle of an xpac and force me to play a different char. So yeah, don’t tie my achievements to one char. Thanks.

6 Likes

I agree. Without achievements being fully account wide, us Achievement-hunters will be less likely to try new characters. This is a MUST.
If you want the role-play, make it an optional check-box for others.

3 Likes

Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in here too…and say I agree with this idea of making the points/cheeves account-wide. This is not 2005 any longer. People play accounts now, not single characters with an alt or two. Please make all the cheeves you earn on one character, be able to be seen/flexed by all characters. I’d rather play a tank than my Mage but i feel like a scrub with 280 cheeve points in my guild window.

the game is also infinitely worse now, wow has become a fastfood game instead of the good 7 meal course it used to be (wotlk and mop)

I legit dont know anyone at all who even looks at that achievement number, no one cares at all
280, 12k, still equally scrubby to me anyway so you have nothing to worry about!

1 Like

It’s astonishing to me how there has never been an official answer on this.

The feature of being able to toggle the display of your accumulative account achievements vs. character-specific achievements should accommodate for 99% of the player base’s needs. With the current implementation, anyone with time invested in multiple characters isn’t able to represent their achievements in-game. Which is the entire point of the achievement system, no?

If there is a technical limitation stopping this from being implemented, that’s one thing. But we haven’t heard anything from Blizzard so we’re only left to assume.

1 Like