[Main Thread] - Permissions errors updating or repairing games in Battle.net

I’m on a Mac, but I’ve performed the equivalent procedure you’ve requested of us, Uldrision. Before that I deleted ever larger quantities of Battle.net app stuff as per the support webpages for each of the error codes thrown/shown. I reinstalled the desktop app and rebooted the computer several times. So far no success.

I only play on my main computer account which is the administrator. So I assigned administrator privileges to a second account, logged over to that, changed the password.

I have now just uninstalled tBC Classic, which remained hung at 0% for about 20 minutes then suddenly was finished. I have now clicked “Update” for retail. It asked for my administrator password for Agent, again. The updater dialog says, “Initializing… 0%” and isn’t changing. If I get a new error code I’ll edit here. It’s 4:30pm PST, so I wanted to report where my progress stands since the workday is ending.

Doh! just before I hit post the app returned “Please try again after logging on as an administrator” with the error code BLZBNTAGT00000841 again, the one I usually get, although I have also been shown BLZBNTAGT00000871 (almost the same anyhow).

I will now go create a new computer account from scratch and make it primary administrator to see if that works after a complete reboot. Then I’ll report back, here.

=====

EDIT: mkay, update at of 7pm PST

No avail on any counts.
I deleted the entire Blizzard and battleNet directories in Users/Shared and on each user account, as well as all Blizzard games but WoW retail and D3, since I don’t play any others (HS, HotS, SC2) anyhow. Rebooted the computer, of course.

D3 updated, launched, and played fine, by the way. It’s only WoW (and Classic tBC) that are messed up as far as I have seen (though I didn’t even try the others I had installed: .

So I deleted them all again and launched the World of Warcraft Launcher App, which in turn rebuilt the battle.net app. There must be more preference/settings files somewhere because the reinstalled app remembers my most recent settings, although not game app locations.

Other than identifying and dumping whatever those other support files, all I can think to do at this point is attempt a clean install and hope for the best, which at the moment doesn’t really sound worth the time. And I already missed tonight’s raid session.

I played WoW retail a decent amount both Tuesday and Wednesday, so it doesn’t seem likely to have anything to do with the patch unless it’s a bug somehow timegated or triggered by a hotfix made since around 11pm PST Wednesday night.

=====

EDIT 7:42pm PST:

Battle.net app’s WoW retail button no long says “Install” but “Play.” All four ways* to launch the game give the same error dialog as follows.

World of Warcraft
ERROR #154 (0x8510009a)

• battle.net app, World of Warcraft.app, World of Warcraft Launcher.app, and selecting MacOS apple menu > Recent Items > World of Warcraft.app

Having been disconnected from those Interwebz for a minute, I closed battle.net app and relaunched. Back to the dialog window:

Please try again after logging on as an administrator

followed by several minutes of “Updating; Initializing… 0%”

I noticed that there are threads on this forum from yesterday about the app crashing on people. Was there a “fix” for that which maybe just rolled the bug onto a different population? My problem didn’t start until today.

4 Likes

I noticed there was an update for bnet available, so I clicked on it, and it restarted. Still getting the same errors as before, tells me to login as an admin, which I am, and it still fails to update.

^ This.

I’ve reported this in the past, the launcher acts like it’s going to update and does so a dozen times a day. It always goes through the same ordeal and at the end, it downloads like a Meg in size and it’s done. It does it randomly all day long and it almost always does it when I log out of the game.

Tonight it’s just stuck on initializing and it’s capped out my bandwidth, but NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

I tried something I remember reading a while ago when updates get stuck.

Close the launcher. Go to Task Manager (CTRL, ATL, DEL) and click on the “Processes” tab. Look for Agent.exe and kill it. Restart the launcher. I had to do this almost three times to get Retail WoW to finish the stuck update and it was the same thing like all the other times, it never actually does an update, it just finishes. Now Classic WoW is stuck… again.

I play WoW on a Mac (12.0.1) and when logging into Battle Net it says there is an update and immediately asks for my computer password so it can make changes (which it has never ever done before), I type it in, it says it is initializing & updating then it quits and then I get an error code. Saying “Please try again after logging on as an administrator.” I always log in as administrator. I went to the more help page and did what it said and I still can’t get the update to update ergo I can not play wow - I put in a ticket but as we all know it takes 24 +++++ hours or more to answer - I have raid - HELP!

3 Likes

Any luck with this topic for OSX? Getting the same as users reported above, tried the solution in the blue post with no luck. Keeps asking for computer password > goes to initializing and stops and gets stuck in a loop.

Having the same issue (Classic and BC Classic), but logging in through the .exe file instead of the launcher worked fine.

1 Like

Tried everything suggested except moving the game data and still get:

2 Likes

On a Mac. It keeps telling em to run as an administrator, except I am on the admin account, I created a second admin account to try there, nothing worked. Even tried to scan and repair and it wouldn’t let me. I’ve restarted numerous times, tried all the things, I cannot update. Raid in 7 minutes.

1 Like

I’m in this exact same position. I’ve tried everything I can.

Never mind, this only worked with Vanilla Classic. BC Classic apparently “needs” this “update” in order to launch now.

I’m under the assumption this has something to do with Season of Mastery having name reservations launching, since this happened right around when those servers were becoming visible.

2 Likes

Is anyone looking into this problem? Uldrision responded in this thread over 5 hours ago and nothing since. Please at least let us know if someone is working on this problem.

I am a MAC user and have experienced the same issue. Here’s how I am playing retail WOW right now:

1. Open Finder
  2. Open Applications
  3. Open the World of Warcraft folder
  4. Open the Retail folder
  5. Double click on World of Warcraft application.
  6. The game will start up at the loading screen.
  7. Login with email/phone number and password.
  8. Profit! :smiley:
3 Likes

This works for me absolutely as described, thank god as I can raid tonight. TY Pylea!

1 Like

SOLUTION! This worked for me. Hope it works for some of you too.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Ending the process on World of Warcraft (even though the game did not appear to be running…weird).

:+1: You are welcome!

this person is a god , a scholar, and I presume great at everything that ever existed. this worked. All hail Pylea.

Glad I could help. /bow

Its works for games that are the current version, but games like TBC that need the update cannot be played, they get error trying to launch manually. Launching TBC I get Error #154.

I always try that before worrying about other issues. The other launchers aren’t doing anything different anymore, as of today. Perhaps therein lies a clue for the codemeisters, something about those other launchers BOTH still pointing to battle.net app.