[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

Ya, the notes for the driver still mention the flickering issue in WoW. I wouldn’t expect it to be fixed til you see the driver specifically mention that the issue is resolved.

2 Likes

Yea, the latest driver made it worse for me. Maldraxxus and Bastion now have a lot of flickering for me, when before they had none.

1 Like

I was goaded into updating windows 10, and it installed the latest driver. I had to redo the profile inspector fix.

@ nvidia: can you please fix this. it’s a pain

2 Likes

Is this getting progressively worse or is it all in my head? I haven’t updated to the latest driver, but initially it seemed like it was only affecting Ardenweald trees for the most part. Now it’s affecting other zones now & some additional doodads here and there.

1 Like

Definitely getting worse. Before I could toggle my shadow quality and it would go away. Now I can’t even do that. It just flickers and I have to squint. Game has been unplayable for 4 months. Never posted on the wow forums before but had to post this. Absolutely embarrassing.

Here’s hoping Nvidia will get off their laurels and fix the drivers to start working again with WoW properly.

1 Like

this up my GPU usage to 100% its a GTX1050 4gb, but with DirectX 12 my usage down to 20% …

2 Likes

I’m noticing the same. In Bastion covenant halls all the wings on the blue people flicker, my toons hair flickers, the anima barrels flicker, the trees, the huge thing in the middle flickers. It’s like a giant light show.

If I close wow out and reopen it, it removes 90% of the flicker, but slowly starts up on objects again until it’s another extreme flicker.

For those who keep getting automatic driver updates on windows 10.

Do the following - go to Control Panel and select System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings and select No.

This is one of the more annoying features on windows 10. Specifically since nividia drivers have been so hit or miss lately…

4 Likes

It’s best to stick at version 457.51. You can run DX12 with that version without flickering.

3 Likes

This is what I am doing until a driver that fixes this is offered by NVidia. I mainly play WoW and FFXIV and 457.51 works fine on both so until then I’ll stick to the older driver.

1 Like

This seems to be working for me so far outside, but in dungeons mechanics on the ground still flicker.

After all this time, affecting so many users, how is this possibly not fixed yet? Work arounds are okay for a short time, but not for months.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like this was fixed in latest nvidia update…still hanging onto 457.51. Would really like to update my driver for fixes from other games but this issue persits…hope we at least get an update from blizz and/or nvidia but nothing so far :frowning:

3 Likes

It’s been over two months since last official Blizz comment. I too play other games & would like updated drivers/fixes, but still hanging onto 457.51. This is making me very angry. Maybe Bobby could earn some of that $200 million bonus & call up the CEO of Nvidia & get something done pronto?!

2 Likes

I just updated to the newest Hotfix drivers, 462.07, clean install. I am not seeing any flickering at all now. Hopefully that means they worked on it (and fixed it). (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5174)

1 Like

Keep an eye on it. Just installed them myself to check and they lack the flag which used to fix it, so it’s possible that they’ve done something to finally fix their “hack” - though it’s also possible they haven’t done anything and you’re in for another wild ride before too long.

*ed: Nevermind. It’s not fixed. It may be better, but it’s still there. Getting flickering on corpses in Torghast, so the flag is still required for now.

these are the beta drivers, I was on 461.72 and the flickering was gone, then I updated to 461.92. flickering back stronger than ever, just reverted to 461.72 and it is fine for now.

I have still yet to see any flickering whatsoever on 461.92 but I did install them after using DDU in safe mode FIRST and then doing a clean install after rebooting. I was having this problem since the 460 drivers, and even had a very small amount of flickering with the 456.71-458.51 drivers but I’m not seeing anything now. No more flickering Bastion cliffs and larions, no more flickering Ardenweald trees, and I didn’t notice anything in the Maw flickering. I have shadows on Ultra High and Ray Tracing on High. I still have Triple Buffering disabled if that helps. I also am using a RTX 2080 Ti, so if it’s fixed for me, they may be rolling out the fix for certain GPUs a few at a time, since it seems to affect a fairly wide variety of GPUs.

Edit: I guess I was wrong. For some reason, this time the driver installation reset my refresh rate from 120 to 60, which has never happened before. I don’t know how the refresh rate setting would affect the flickering problem, but when I set it back to 120hz I started getting flickering in Bastion again, at least while on a flight path.

Didn’t really see any flickering till today, one when I landed at a fp in Bastion and another time flying into Bastion all the giant Kyrian statues were flickering.

461.92 driver, also a 2 day old fresh windows install.