[Main Thread] Memory Leak 08/16/24

First time I’ve had a Low Memory crash in WoW since I was playing on my ghetto rig in 2005.

I’ve never had this issue, so it may be people’s own machines or is just not effective everyone.

Wait. It’s not a memory leak? Even though it says it is? Then wtf is it? 🫨

It’s not our machines. I’ve never once had this ever in the history of the game, nor at all since 11.0 dropped. It’s something that only started for people since Tuesday.

4 Likes

No idea. Something got messed up with Tuesday’s update.

1 Like

Well whatever it is, they’d better fix it before next week’s reset or there’ll be hell to pay. :triumph:

I don’t know which has been worse. This “memory leak” crash that is hitting a huge chunk of the playerbase or the smooth brains trolling GD who claim there’s no issue at all and that it’s a “you” issue. :person_facepalming:

7 Likes

Intel, is it an AMD issue?

Things might be pointing that way, I’m experiencing the issue and I’m on an amd setup
Can’t say for sure though

No

I have an Intel i7 11th gen
16GB ram
GTX 1660Ti
500GB SSD with over 250GB left
Windows 10

I’m running an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and have not run into this issue.

I’m running an i9-13900K and not having this issue :man_shrugging:
Running an RTX 4080 so, tons of video RAM too.

Could be out of video memory

vram issues present in extremely vivid ways, and i can say as someone who’s fighting with this bug constantly that it’s definitely not a vram issue
the entire game would basically unload itself if it was

Glad I am not being impacted with this issue, hopefully they fix it for those of you that are.

2 Likes

Reading the EU thread it looks like something goes rogue and infinite loops into grabbing up memory.

Which makes an addon the most likely culprit given the limited number of people experiencing it.

I have a Ryzen 7700x, 32GB DDR5, RX 7600 GPU and run Linux and it still happens here. If I keep hardware monitor open while the game is open, doesn’t matter if I’m actively playing it or it’s idle in the background, it will sit around 1-2GB usage and then suddenly grab 25GB of ram or so, then try to grab more and more after that until the system runs out of all RAM, including the extra 32GB of swap memory I have. So it’s even taking up to 64GB- definitely some kind of misallocation or ram leak.

edit: running Addon Monitor to see how much RAM is being used in this situation did not reveal any addon using more RAM than 300MB. Could be unable to see the leak but doesn’t look like it’s an addon. The easiest test would be to disable all of them and leave the game running.

2 Likes

Nope. Never had a single addon installed (and I been playing since 2009) and I use default UI too

If you’re crashing at a consistent pace try playing without any addons. No Idea if addon monitor updates frequently enough to see anything before it crashes. Sounds like it’s pretty quick once it get triggered.

My game crashed a few times on Wednesday, but its been fine for a few days. Sometimes it seems like like there’s a bit of a hitch when entering dungeons, but i usualky get that when people join or leave a group for some reason.

If that’s true then it’s something else.