[Main Thread] Mac Addons Broken Since 10.2.5 - Jan 16th 2024

Was just coming in to confirm that patch tonight fixed the issue with LocalizedClassList

For context. What happened was that the function was rewritten in 10.2.5 and rewrite functioned in binaries compiled with MSVC (windows) but broke in binaries compiled with clang (macOS) since the two compilers interpreted the code differently.

This kind of thing is hard even for best of QA to catch, especially when it’s not on their list of things to check. Internal rewrites of addon apis is not likely high on list of things to Qa, especially “oh and make sure it works same on mac and windows”. it’s kinda assumed it will be since normally it’s platform agnostic, but yeah things happen with different compilers in super rare cases

The issue was fast to track down and fix, but as I said yesterday they wouldn’t rush a patch out for just this, when they know they had a patch planned to also fix other issues today, anyways, so it just got queued into todays patch. That’s pretty standard as far as issues concerned. They rarely make a patch for just ONE issue unless that one issue is catastrophic.

8 Likes

Need more code coverage!

I tried reading through all these but… I’m not Mac and most addons are not working on my pc even after updating…

?

That would be a different problem. There was a bug affecting some addons but only on Mac OS, Windows users were not affected by it. You should post over on the regular Tech Support forum.

1 Like

Did this… break again? Was sorted yesterday but just logged in and ELVUI, adibags, etc are all dead.

Nope, still working here.

I don’t use ELVUI but I do use adibags and never had any issues.

Thank you for this detailed explanation! I know many people might gloss over this kind of stuff, but as a former programmer myself, I like learning about the nitty-gritty details of bugs and how they occur. Very much appreciated, Omegal!

You think that’s rough? That try deciding between borrow and copy ;p

M2 Max here. I fired up the game for the first time in a few months the other day and everything eventually worked but SexyMap. I went through my addons and disabling another minimap addon (Cheugy? I never used it, but had it installed) fixed the issue. Have you tried disabling other addons? They seem to interfere with each other.

Just purchased m2 ultra and was told at best i would get is 5-10fps in game :frowning:

off topic for this thread.

Also buying an M2 ultra when m3 ultra is expected in like 1-2 months is big bad timing. I’d return it now if I can and wait for the M3 Ultra which will have all that hardware mesh shading and raytracing goodness and the much better memory management system, which may help a lot with scheduling to the two maxes and avoid those odd frame drops gets over a standard max (but will have to wait to see on that one)

Unfortunately need to get it not but was told by several M3 would not even run wow either that this is a problem with all apple silicon gpu is completely unuseable for any games. sigh.

I mean a base M3 is not even remotely same thing as a max or ultra.

My M3 max runs wow at 60fps at 4k WHILE streaming. I’ve literally got vods of me raiding on fights like smolderon and nymue with 0 frame drops while half the people in raid are complaining about fps issues.

Now if you’re using an macbook air with 8 GB of memory that’s shared between system, apps, and vram, yeah it’s gonna run like utter crap unless you set graphics to like 3, at 1080p

M3 16gb ram 24” 2023 model imac
Addons were a bit iffy at first but after a few days i have had no issues. Having said that, I only use 4 but including rlv, benik.
I get a sustained 60fps at default settings.

I’m not thrilled about the default sliding scale for environment, ground, distance all at 4 but the colors on the retina display don’t lose much. Overall a rich experience for me. Prior to this I was intel pc for 15 years