[Main Thread] Account penalty lasting beyond expiration date

The overall issue is being looked at. For now, I’m afraid you’ll need to submit a ticket so that our staff can help.

Having the same issue, suspension lasting past the expiry date. Dropped a ticket and will hope for the best.

Appeal tickets are dealt with people that only do appeals. I believe that would explain the difference perhaps?

It does not hurt to ask. The worst they can do is say no.

I fully understand how frustrating this can be. I hope you get your resolution soon.

I would caution to say that Blizzard, the only opinion that matters on the subject, does not agree with you. Please bear in mind a name does not need to be offensive to violate the naming policy.

Yes there are rules. Here is the article

However I would like to draw your eyes to this line.

All player-made names must follow our Code of Conduct.

I read it twice before even posting the link. Don’t recall reading that at all. This is patently false information. You could be reported by every person on your realm every day for your name. If it does not violate policy, you will never ever know you were reported. If it does violate policy, Blizzard will take action. To get a suspension over a name means the policy has been violated more than a few times and they are past a warning.

For everyone affected, I truly hope your tickets get addressed soon.

same issue here too… guess ill wait and watch my sub time burn.

Try cancelling your subscription to push an update through if changing the password doesn’t work.

Worked like a charm for me just now.

I know that sounds like a giant troll but it’s not lol. I think you just need to do something on the account level so you can probably edit or change something else.

The only thing on the subject of naming characters, to put it in perspective, my character was named referencing the Origin of Covid-19, figured it was fitting since I was a DK, not the Country, but the Bat. I see people with the names “Pandemic”, “Epidemic”, variations with “STD” in the name, other specific diseases/viruses including “Kovid, Covid” etc, names referencing sexual acts, “Bowjob” is a popular one used by hunters.

Only reason I’ve been able to think that mine might have been deemed “inappropriate” is because the Bat that my character referenced was of Origin from a certain Country that happens to one of if not the biggest consumer of Blizzard products. Despite my character not referencing said Country.

What one person finds offensive, another may not, it was stated numerous times in this thread, yet if they openly admit that then there’d be no ground for suspension really. You’re going to ban/suspend someone because they didn’t know something was offensive to someone? Then on top of that they never give any reasoning as to why you were suspended other than “We deem it offensive”. Maybe to reduce the possibility of recidivism they actually tell you how it was offensive so it doesn’t happen again.

It’s like spanking a kid telling him “You don’t do that” without ever telling him what it was he’d done.

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

• The character name must be between 2-12 characters long.
  • Accented characters are supported.
  • Numbers and symbols are not supported.
  • Mixed capitals and spaces are not supported.

I think safe advice would be to avoid naming any toon covid related and report any other toons u see with that name.

5 Likes

The only thing that matters is you were reported and Blizzard themselves deemed the name inappropriate.

Names relating to Covid etc are in essence, very bad taste considering the pandemic. People have died, people have lost their businesses, properties, relationships.

I live in Victoria, Australia - the most locked down state anywhere in the world. The mental and emotional stresses endured by the limitations we have are incredible.

I hope that puts it into perspective as to why anyone would find a name relating to Covid or the origins in extreme bad taste.

Do you know why Blizzard is deliberately vague at times? This. There will always be players who will try to lawyer the rules to their benefit.

They could put out a comprehensive naming policy for all to see, but ultimately you’d think common sense would prevail…

10 Likes

Do not need t o read any further. It is not an appropriate name topic. Especially if you know people that have perished from this horrible disease.

As a healthcare worker, I find it incredibly offensive.

And I kept reading, that is my fault. Blizzard is reactionary in this process, meaning they don’t actively look, but respond to right click report. If you see inappropriate names, please avail yourself to its use. It obviously works, right?

If you cannot see how the name was not appropriate referencing in any way shape or form what you said it did, I don’t know if anything anyone tells you on the policies will help.

Correct. However what you missed there is that the ONLY say that matters is Blizzards. Their game, their rules. If they want to ban any toon reported with a Q in the name, they could make that policy and there is nothing we could do about it.

No, on naming policies they give you a warning first by queuing you for a name change. Renaming to the same name, variation of the same name, or having a history of poor name choices is what leads to suspensions.

Again their game, their choice. Let you in on a secret though? They are not the only one that finds it offensive. It is not clever, it is not funny, and it is not witty.

I feel like a record skipping here, but if you cannot see how the reference is inappropriate, I strongly doubt you would have accepted an explanation here.

Anyway, I’m done with this one.

7 Likes

Either way, you were in the wrong. You do not get to dictate what is appropriate as only Blizzard gets that final say. You do not get to dictate what is offensive, that is for your realm mates to tolerate or not. Something you apparently understand since you admit it is in bad taste. That this bug is happening is unfortunate no matter, but all you can do in the meantime is wait for your ticket to come about in their queue so that they can fix the issue for you.

1 Like

Should be noted if you keep getting a forced name change and keep choosing bad names they will change it them selves and name lock it so you cant change it.

3 Likes

Not nearly as subjective enough apparently seeing as you’re in this predicament with no one to blame but yourself. This is Blizzard’s sand box and it’s by their rules and their dictates that we all must abide by. It’s specifically why they keep the terms loose when people decide that they’re smarter than the powers that be and try to armchair lawyer their way around. It is only going to end up poorly in the end.

Either which way, I do hope they get the bug fixed for you and for everyone else stuck in the same rut.

2 Likes

No that would be because you used an inappropriate name and did so more than once. You do not get suspended on a first offense unless the name is beyond inappropriate.

5 Likes

Trolling isn’t going to help here at all. Your name was deemed inappropriate by Blizzard. That’s the bottom line, you broke the rules and did so on more than one occasion as you were suspended for it, again that isn’t done with a first offense. Arguing about a suspension here is against the CoC. This thread isn’t about if an account action was valid or not, it is to get help with a bug.

1 Like

8 hours and still not fixed… Damn shame.

As has been stated numerous times in this thread and others - ticket queue times are a bit extensive at current. Most of what I’ve seen is saying 24-48 hour-ish, and even that isn’t in cement with the flooding of tickets post-patch. It’s inconvenient for everyone involved, but please have patience. They will get to you as soon as they possibly can to work their magic and get your account available again.

2 Likes

When major patches like this hit, and waves of problems pop up, I usually take a break for a week or so, and let things get ironed out.

Expecting issues to be resolved within 1 day, just isn’t a reasonable expectation. The Dev’s need time to figure out what the problem(s) are exactly, find a way to fix the problem(s) without breaking other things, and then slot that fix into the Live Servers without disrupting the gameplay of those that don’t have XYZ problem(s).

Please have patience, and give those working to fix the the game we all love, some time to work their magic.

But it’s been an issues for 4 days now :slight_smile:

The Dev’s would love to wave their magic wand and have everything fixed immediately, but sometimes these problems can take a week or more to get resolved. Other times, it only takes a couple hours. That’s just the nature of these things.

1 Like

Could you perhaps make sure my ticket gets answered asap? I too had a 3 day sentence and served mah time. I NEEDS MY SPRIEST CRACK!