Mail service wont allow mail return

Hello,

I recently sent a substantial amount of gold and flask materials to a friend of mine, however he just recently transferred to my server and was forced to change named.
I mistakenly sent all of this stuff to a stranger that holds a character with his old name.

I tried using the mail return service, but the mails don’t allow me to return. On the box to select them it has a warning sign and when I hover over it it just says “General”. The mail seems to fit the criteria for mails that can be returned, so can I get some help getting this back?

Probably because the stranger collected the mail and it’s not in their mailbox anymore.

I would open a ticket, but there is a chance you won’t get the items back or they will do nothing at all.

1 Like

If the player you sent the mail to took the items and gold from the mail, then your only hope is that the recipient sends it back in good faith.

GMs are not allowed to go into their inventory and take back the items or gold unfortunately.

So if the self-help system is stating that the mail cannot be returned, then you may be out of luck :frowning:

3 Likes

Hey Perl,

I can see on the UI, other mails that I have sent recently that give the message: “The recipient already opened this mail, and it cannot be recovered”.

The mails I sent to this stranger account only say “General”. That seems to imply that it hasn’t been opened yet no?

When I tested it, my mail showed as “Sent” and I was able to choose to return it.

Not too sure what “General” means to be totally honest!

Yup, me neither. I see other mails that have other status’ but the ones i sent to the stranger all have the “General” warning.

Maybe I can get a moderator to take a look?

Your best bet would be to get a ticket submitted, which I see you’ve done :+1:

We can check things here on the forums, but wouldn’t bypass the ticket queue. Hopefully a Game Master will be able to help you with this soon!

2 Likes

Could you write the person you accidentally sent it to, and tell them what happened? They will probably send it back once they realize it was sent by mistake.

I understand, thank you.

Would you be able to tell me atleast what / why i’m getting the “General” warning on the mail rather than something more informative?

I am honestly not too sure. It does look like your ticket was just answered though. Based on the response, it looks like the suspect might be on a locked character that hasn’t selected where they’d like to play (Classic Era or Burning Crusade Classic).

That seems plausible. If the recipient is locked, the mail return service might have not be able to use whatever APIs it relies on to recover the mail.

I’ve never seen this encountered before, but it makes sense. That might be a Use Case they didn’t have in mind when the system was built.

3 Likes