Mag'har Warlocks - Not Green?

On that location:

Hellfire Peninsula got it’s name because the nearby Fel drained all the Life from the Zone.

Where was this nearby Fel? Shadowmoon Valley, Pools of Aggonar, Throne of Kil’jaeden and Terokkar Forest(so Fel corrupted it turned from Orange to Green).

Those 4 places were radiating Fel on a continuous basis.

Then how are there still Mag’har Orcs in Hellfire Peninsula?

Don’t ask me, ask Blizzard. But that has clearly always been the case. Or else why would the Frostwolves be green despite never drinking the blood? By this own logic, Frostwolves should not be green. No Orc born in current generations should be green, yet we see green children in Orgrimmar as orphans.

If it has to do with Fel exposure, again, I have examples of brown skinned Orcs being around fel magic, and fel magic users, and not turning green.

The Mag’har village is literally on a ridge overlooking this very subzone.

But they are literally right next to the pools of Aggonar, a corpse so toxic that it poisoned the land with fel. I’m literally looking at it right now. You can go in game and see for yourself, the village is literally overlooking this very area.

Is that not close enough to fel?

You have to keep in mind that the in game scaling of zones does not match their lore size. I mean it took Krasus days to fly from one end of Lordaeron to another in Day of the Dragon. That might also be the case for vertically. Unless you think Goldshire is just an inn and a blacksmith building.

Although it should be noted that some authors view the in game scaling as canonical, looking at you Golden.

We have asked Blizzard. They answered in a Q&A that Fel acts as radiation some time ago. I’m not sure why this is a point of contention when we have a canon answer in regards to it.

“The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs’ skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off.”

-From Ask CDDev Round 3

The simple counter to your examples of brown orcs being around fel magic and not turning is that they just weren’t around it long enough. After all, I can be around people infected with the flu and not get the flu myself.

1 Like

Might’ve been adding it while you replied, but I mentioned that. The Mag’har location in Hellfire Peninsula is an outpost amidst some Old Horde ruins rather than a properly maintained village, so it could stand to reason that in such a desolate and corrupted region they’d be relying on supplies from Garadar rather than eating the local flora and fauna.

Ok, sure, but the taint of fel magic is literally everywhere in the zone. You can’t escape it. If its mutating effects were as potent as just ambiently turning Orcs green, it should be expected that any Mag’har Orc who lives their lives in Hellfire Peninsula to turn green.

We’re not talking about whether or not it’s the most fel-corrupted zone. It should have enough ambient fel to turn Mag’har in the area green, yet it doesn’t.

Because there are several examples proving this is not the case, and I’ve shown them. I think your problem is that you think CDev’s word means anything, especially in regards to this.

Just like to point out this is very clearly not the case because Blood elves got gold eyes somewhat recently. That wasn’t that long ago in the game scale.

Then… ambient fel exposure doesn’t cause the green skin. You said it yourself, they can be around people with the flu but not contracting the flu themselves.

I don’t think it is tenable, at all, for that village to survive solely on supplies from Garadar considering they are so far away.

The examples you provide don’t disprove anything though? The obvious counter to them is just that they weren’t suffused with enough Fel to actually make the change yet. And the CDDev answer is literal word of God stuff. I’m not sure what other evidence you’d want that goes beyond the lore dev literally stating it to be the case.

That’s because they got connected to a Naaru powered font of magic. It did not go away naturally.

The fact that you can be around someone who has the Flu and not get infected does not mean that exposure to someone with the Flu does not cause infection. It means it’s not a guarantee, but the longer you’re exposed, the more likely the chance.

1 Like

There are brown skinned orcs literally using the fel, my man. What’s the arbitrary time signature on them being able to use it and them turning green from it?

Just as Chronicle was word of god, final say, no take backsies.

What I’m getting at here, is there’s obvious contradictions in the game, in the lore, and it’s obvious that Mag’har can be warlocks because that is, itself word of god from Blizzard that it can happen. Presumably, there will be quests or NPCs explaining why this is the case.

Again though, their example of blood elf eyes turning green due to fel exposure is contradicted by their own game. If Blood elves can get green eyes by just being in Outland because of all the fel radiation, why not the same for Orcs who have presumably been there longer?

If drinking the blood rapidly turns the skin green, and being around the drinking of the blood turned the skin green, it stands to reason that the NPCs using the fel themselves should also rapidly turn green. This arbitrary timescale of when it takes to turn green due to fel exposure is just that, arbitrary. You don’t know how long it takes, I don’t, nobody does.

You gotta turn red before you turn green, and turning red is the half way marker toward demonhood.

I don’t know. They’ve never been specific on that.

It was until they said it wasn’t. They’ve never contradicted this.

I didn’t say they couldn’t. I said the green skin of the orcs was due to exposure to Fel magic, not the Blood Curse.

They got green eyes from being heavily exposed to Fel magic, not just being on Outland. Outland contributed, but they also were around several warlocks, working with demons, and literally had a base in the Twisting Nether. It was a bit beyond living in a tent in Hellfire for a bit.

Drinking the blood turns the skin green because you’re directly ingesting potent demon blood. That checks out.

Being around someone who drank the blood didn’t turn the skin green, not immediately. It was being around all the warlocks who were constantly casting Fel magic and literally draining the life from the planet that turned Durotans skin green. Not merely being on Hellfire.

I never claimed it did. I only claimed that the green skin was due to exposure to Fel magic, which is what we’ve been told for over a decade now. It is not only due to the Blood Curse, though the Blood Curse can cause it as drinking demon blood is also ingesting fel.

1 Like

Theoretically, they will turn green in the lore.

If I had to choose one race to not get Warlocks it would definitely be Mag’har, as it does in fact have direct implications to their appearance.

1 Like

Until, now, presumably? Not counting all the examples I’ve laid out.

‘a bit’ being 30 something years.

I’m literally giving examples of Orcs being around Warlocks and you keep saying it doesn’t count because it hasn’t been long enough. So apparently you do seem to know how long it doesn’t take, yes?

Your examples don’t contradict it. They only suggest the change is not immediate.

And also being around active warlocks the whole time.

No, I don’t. I never claimed I did. I’m not sure why you keep attributing the notion that I did to me.

We don’t know how long it takes, Rise of the Horde goes through some timeskips, but the warlocks we’re shown in WoD aren’t warlocks that long before they die, so they’re not exactly a great sample size.

Nah homie.
Or s didn’t turn red u til demon blood, and they didn’t turn green until weened off of it.

We don’t know exactly when those Mag’har orcs left Nagrand after they were cured from Red Pox. We know that they were still in Nagrand during the Alliance invasion of Draenor (WC2: TDP) since Kargath tried to recruit them into the Horde but later refused to do so since he saw them as ‘weak’ and not ‘true orcs’ anymore.

So at best we can make a case for them setting up that outpost after the destruction of Draenor at the hands of Ner’zhul. And even then, they might have remained in Nagrand while Maggie ruled over what remained of the planet (i.e. Outland).

Except since Hellfire Peninsula is a depleted wasteland transported supplies is basically the only way any notable population could survive there. The place can’t really provide enough food and water. Even the fel orcs there were probably having to ship in supplies from Terrokar, since HFP can’t support the sort of farmland, game and drinkable water that everyone living in just the Citadel would need.

2 Likes

I remembered fel itself turning their skin green, and the quote I last checked from came from on wowpedia cited that coming from Rise of the Horde.
:dracthyr_shrug:

It doesn’t suggest that at all. That’s a cope.

They’re literally using it. The green fire is in their hands. They’re standing around hundreds of demons.

Presumably being around hundreds of demons might have some effect, yes?

Or a planet that was so destroyed by fel magic it’s falling apart.

Because you keep assuming that it’s a timescale issue, when nothing says that.

We might not know how long they were there, but clearly long enough to build mud huts, not tents as some people suggest.

So it could be anywhere from the destruction of Draenor, up to TBC.

You’re talking about logistics in this game, when they have never made any sense and have only been used as a story tool and nothing more. This is all headcanon.

That’s all we can draw from it.

Yes? I never disputed that. We know they’re using Fel. However they aren’t using it for more than a few months at most before we kill them all. So I’m not sure what you want us to take from that other than we know Fel doesn’t immediately turn their skin green.

Yes it probably would’ve over time.

Presumably a combination of both.

But it does? In Rise of the Horde Durotan’s change is slow. His skin doesn’t turn green immediately after blood is drunk by others, which disproves your whole Blood Pact reaching across all orcs theory. It comes in patches and over several months/years (it’s not exactly clear, it skips around a bit) he turns completely green. We know it’s a process.