Mages are the worst class at Torghast and beta testers failed us

Bad luck with anima powers wouldn’t boost your single target damage enough making higher floor end bosses nearly impossible. Arcane had the benefit of the wraps boost to arcane blast. That’s nerfed for arcane but still decent. I have a feeling frost players have the most issues. At least fire has huge single target burst with combustion. Frost single target damage isn’t very good atm.

With the updates, I think most players should find at least level 6 fine as long as you have pretty good ilvl and your legendary.

1 Like

Runecloth Wrappers is insane. I pray for it every time I go in, lol. I’m glad someone verified it was nerfed because I knew it wasn’t quite as awesome. The thing that the OP said was the beta testers let you down and I wanted to explain (since apparently not everyone watches YouTube streams on beta) is just how great the changes in Torghast were from alpha to live. It’s so different now, although it looks more or less the same.

1 Like

I just solo cleared both layer 7 and both layer 8’s as fire today. It was tough but it wasn’t impossible. Rng can be rough.

More intelligent mirror images plus a couple anima’s giving me a couple more was nice, 7 of them would do 100k damage combined per cast and I let them kill most enemies cause greater pyro’s coming from them was super fun to see. First time I have been able to actually do that and get that anima setup tho

I was hoping for that right away. Twisting Corridors sounds like a bunch of fun. I really want that released asap

It’s because many elites, like the skulkers, have cleaving abilities.
Mirror images tooltip has always said that they vanish away upon dmg, and well, if the 4 of them get hit by the cleave they all go poof.
Just gotta be smart and drop them once they have dropped their special aoe smash.

I’m assuming Torghast nerfs are live since 7 and 8 just felt as easy as a layer 1…

I actually complained about doing this on a mage in beta. There was no failure on this at all - blizzard decided to increase the difficulty 2 weeks before release on even the basic stuff.

This is kind of a late reply but I’ve strangely had much better luck in Upper Reaches than I have in Skoldus Halls. I fare better against melee bosses and mobs than casters. Those caster bosses had me reeling.

Edit: Not sure why I come up as a Pally, but I’m actually a Fire Mage.

mage buffs… when Blizzard? … when?

I think the main issue comes down entirely to RNG. If you get lucky and have a runecloth or two, plus phylactery and the 70% barrier buffs it’s easy mode. If you get nothing but “10% more damage to covenant power” then it can be rough, and a lot also depends on the level you do and how it’s built (eg: last weeks mini-platforms was rough as hell).

I’d also note that the ‘lumbering whatchamacallit’ seems to not lumber at all and moves at 300% speed, making it impossible to kite meaning you’re left face-tanking the end-floor bosses. Yeah, that’s fun… Meanwhile I’ve spoken to other specs who just faceroll through it.

It’s not quite as bad as visions, but it can still be really bad if you don’t have good powers by the start of floor 4 and by that stage you’ve invested so much time it feels bad to just abandon it and start again (also super rough for those who don’t have 4 hours a day to attempt this content).

That said, I think grouping is a much easier option provided you take the right classes. Having a tank makes it fairly simple, while having multiple squishies (our last group was me, demo and a rouge) makes it harder than it needs to be. It’s decently fun content, but again watching specs lower ilvl just breeze through in 45-60 mins while we sit in there for 90+ is just poor design. Would be nice to see some blanket buffs to Frost/Arc.

3 Likes

And now they nerfed the runecloth from 2000% to 500% and stacks to 3 or 5.

1 Like

Funny enough I was in there last night and the tooltip says 2000% still. I took it and it most definitely did not do 2000%

3 Likes

Well, it was kinda broken anyway. The problem is many bosses still have kite protection some even cast spells ignoring LoS. But at least they reduced the HP in groups of 4 and 5.

I just solo’d layer 8 of both wings this week… didn’t really give me too much of a problem as frost. Make sure at the end you’re going with lonely winter, chain reaction, and splitting ice. I had to redo the 7th layer because I didn’t swap to these, after I did both layer 8s were extremely easy.

Probably because thorghast is so easy that it is trivia on most class.

I did the first 6 floors as a fresh DH and I didn’t even bought anything from the vendor and I was pulling entire rooms.

Mage just has been the worst class at soloing outside of blizzard AoE kiting since classic.

Layer 7 at ilvl 170 without a legendary was slow but doable. Synod was not a welcome sight, but thankfully he died before Hasy did.

I think I’ll stick to layer 6 until I get some more gear.

I soloed both level 8 last night- just take it slow.

This. It sucks at how slow you have to go. But, I have yet to have an issue since the nerfs last week.

pretty sure i said this exact thing and i got roasted for it … and now it seems like its almost consensus.

these ppl baffle me

I did a 6 alone last night and it was slow but the trash was never a problem. The slug boss though was hard because I wanted to keep it controlled killing the small slugs. Not a good idea, so I went for the zerg mode and managed to do it after a couple of tries. 3x runewraps plus 200% extra damage to frostbolt from urns did around 120k damage and the boss had 550k aprox. So the runewrap is not useful anymore as frost at least. I had a sweet 0.82 second frostbolt which helped me do that dps.

1 Like