Mage vs warlock

Which of the two classes do you find easy to use and find it the most convenient to use? And also which of the two have the best looking animation (casting)?

1 Like

You will have to learn to play for both of them, its not really easy if you wanna be good with either.

Visuals overall go to warlock, mage is more cd reliant, but also more mobile. If you dont like only having damage in cd windows, you’ll probably like warlock more.

Then again, icy veins is essentially perma, so whatever you like more, I guess.

2 Likes

For me, I vote Mage because frost is easy. You do 1-2-3-3when you get flurry proc, use ice lance proc otherwise. The frozen orb legendary is super fun!

2 Likes

They both certainly have their perks. Mages are really good at controlling the battlefield and have a lot of movement abilities. Warlocks are really lacking in that area, but they have pets.

Personally, I prefer Warlocks from a thematic standpoint. I also like pet classes. But, I don’t think you can go wrong with either class.

1 Like

Warlock has the massive convenience of a pet to tank for you. It makes a big difference.

And and and soulstones; are combat res; can be cast on dead players. Life drain and green cookies for emergencies.

4 Likes

Warlocks are faceroll easy, especially for leveling solo. It takes a lot to kill me.

4 Likes

Its a lot easier to stick with a class when you like all three specs on it over just one. That’ll also be great with DF’s new talent system over a restrictive covenant system.

Play around and see which class overall appeals more to you. I doubt significant changes will happen to the overall playstyles besides maybe affliction in DF.

1 Like

I’ve played lock since vanilla and I always go back. I’ve tried to love mage but I just don’t feel it at all

3 Likes

These threads that ask “which is better” always boil down to the same thing: whichever one you like.

There are pluses and minuses to every class. You have to decide which configuration works best for you. I personally like mage best simply because of the portal advantage.

4 Likes

I try not to ignore the min/max element when relevant. If someone asks me which between marks and BM is better, I’m going to tell them how it is.

But for warlock vs mage, the gap is small, and one of us is usually in the top five, if not both.

2 Likes

I play a Mage and my wife is a Warlock. I definitely get jealous of her ease of soloing due to Pets, Soulstones, Healthstones and Life Drain. That being said, I like the mobility on Mage and the huge damage increase from CDs. I can’t survive as well as she can in the open world, but I can melt enemies very fast. If you can stay on your toes, Frost Mage can solo stuff pretty well. If you are bad at mobility and CC, then I say go Warlock.

As far as group content goes, most M+ groups seem to enjoy having the both of us. Both classes add a lot of utility in the form of group goodies and CC.

2 Likes

Which is clearly a criteria that matters to you. However, that doesn’t matter to everyone. I personally have always played this character as Marks, even when that has been the worst performing spec, simply because I like it.

This is why I say players should always play what appeals most to them. In some cases that will definitely be the highest performing class/spec for the role they wish to fill. Everyone has their own criteria for what pleases them.

3 Likes

if we’re talking just pure casual use. 100% warlock.

mage tends to be extremely stat reliant as well.

1 Like

i have a hard time playing mages… requires a lot of brains in pvp although all i do is casual bgs and leveling mages…
locks aren’t easy either… idk have fun whatever you do and use your intelligence cuz it’s their main stat lol

1 Like

This is false. You press 1-3-2-2 when you get a BF proc, don’t listen.

1 Like

LOL! I have comfortable keybinds set up for any spec I can :smiley: My Spriest single target is 1 2 3 on whoever then 45 q w e 6 4 5 q w e 4 5 6 q w e

1 Like

I still haven’t caved and turned w into a keybind, I use mouse to move 90% of the time, but I can’t fully break from using w, a, d to move sometimes.

3 Likes

I used to use using only arrows, then click to move until I realized that clicking in the wrong place can be very annoying with that feature! Now I use the mouse, I like being able to turn using right mouse button down and move mouse only, and look without turning with left mouse buttom instead. Pretty funky!

Havent done a lock in awhile but to me lock always feel very slow and mage plays quickly.

Just a feel thing difference for me

1 Like

Demonology is by and far the most difficult caster to play, and also doesn’t have a reliable interrupt. However, you get some pretty sick burn phases when played correctly.

Affliction currently is bad, but can do (most) of it’s DPS on the run and is pretty darned’ survivable.

Destruction gets big crits and has an unparelleled niche in 2-target cleave with Havoc.

Fire is undertuned at the moment, but has huge DPS in it’s burn window and OK AOE. Mages in general have less healing but generally a bit more mobility and other utility (Ice Block, a true interrupt, Spellsteal)

Arcane is the simplest rotationally but has the added complexity of mana management, espicially if you do burn/conserve phases correctly.

Frost is really strong in PvP because slows are really annoying. Also kiting is fun.