Mage Tower should come back once a year for a week

Before the inevitable “no’s” flood in from people. Please hear me out, firstly, let me preface this by saying:

I have both the MoP CM sets and my Mage Tower appearances. and see no problem with “sharing” that fact.

I am not really a believer in the fallacy that less people having something = more special. Quantity of something should not be determined by accessibility, but instead by investment.

I see the value in what these challenge-type cosmetics offer, but the reality is that this game is insanely fluid. As Garrosh once said, “times change”. What may be fun at one point may no longer be at another point. What previously didn’t interest you may suddenly captivate your imagination.

I have noticed several of the Mage Tower appearances transmog remarkably well with the covenant sets, but at the time of their release kind of looked ugly and unfitting. Gosh, I sure am an idiot for not having 4 years worth of foresight that only after that time would a transmog set exist to finally match that weapon appearance!.

Secondly, some of the class/specs during Legion were straight up not fun. Sorry Blizz, but the fact a few of them have radically changed is proof of that. Looking at Survival Hunter for this one. What was once a plate-spinning spec that was undeniably an experiment on a global-test basis, is now relatively fun. I sure wish I could prove my mettle as a Survival Hunter now that the class actually is enjoyable.

So we have a dated challenge system that offers cosmetics that potentially didn’t even match any of the game’s cosmetics at the time, as well as punishing those who have switched mains over the years to something they formerly didn’t play. All of you, my Druid friends are especially lamenting at this one right now.

TL;DR

My proposal preserves that feeling of prestige by having a 1-week window, while at the same time stares down the face of reality that we change what we may play over the years and shouldn’t be punished years later for not having said foresight. It’s simply unrealistic to obtain every single appearance on every single spec and then keep your fingers crossed 2 or 3 expansions later it maybe, just maybe was worth a cool mog. Sweaties are the 1% of the 1% there so they need not say anything.

Even if the Mage Tower opened for one week PER YEAR, It’s a safe bet that many casual players probably wouldn’t even bother with the challenge, but the fact is that it offers a respectful window of opportunity that acknowledges those who did it back in Legion, as well as nodding to those that have dedicated their time to the class/spec and deserve to give it a try. 1 week a year, perhaps in the form of a special timewalking event where Chromie “takes us back”.

All in all, this is solution in many ways feels equivocal of the once impossible to obtain Tier 3 Naxx sets ending up on BMAH. Not all things need to definitively stop existing in WoW.

To finish, a quote from one wiser than us all:

25 Likes

You snooze, you lose.

22 Likes
11 Likes

Going with a “no” here. As is anyone that is a real fan of MMORPGs.

7 Likes

I actually agree with you… but that’s such a lousy argument.

2 Likes

How? These games are historically time sinks that reward people that put in the time. You may not like the argument but it is as sound as any.

3 Likes

I do. Time sensitive means time sensitive. It was here, it did it’s time, and it’s gone. I say that as someone who has MOP CM sets and all 36 mage towers. What is time sensitive should remain gone.

8 Likes

Which is exactly the problem. The logic of “I worked my butt off- because not everybody else did, they don’t deserve it as much as me” is so backwards.

Luxury products aren’t exclusive to a single 2 year window and then gone forever. They remain prestigious because acquiring one requires a lot of from someone. Akin to dedication to a class, regardless of whether they were “there at the time” or not.

Sure this is a game and not real life, but the parallels exist for a reason.

4 Likes

That’s not the logic. I stated my logic directly. It was advertised as time sensitive. We were told day 1 it was time sensitive. Same deal with CM sets and elite mogs. What is stated to be time sensitive should absolutely remain time sensitive. That is basic marketing. We were told a thing. Said thing was true.

4 Likes

You are backwards if you don’t agree with the guy you quoted.

This. Period.

1 Like

Well then how about Blizzard warning us that the Mage Tower was going to be a limited time thing? That excuse good enough for you?

Having 36/36 is an absurdly specific outlier in this and makes about as much sense as a Billionaire talking about how Taxes should work lol.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I don’t even like the appearances working between specs of the same class. I don’t want to see some ridiculous Frost DK mogged into a real, Unholy DK weapon. It is absurd.

1 Like

No. It was literally called out as a time limited expansion feature.

I do think more mage tower type challenges would be cool (offering different rewards).

Because limited edition content has never seen its way back into the game. Now begone while I ride my Imperial Quilen mount while wearing Naxxramas Tier 3.

Everyone should have the opportunity to have the Black Qiraji Battle Tank

:^)

No, sorry, this is a reward for playing back then.

Continue to play this game and you’ll get some cool unique appearances that won’t be available forever.

Since billionaires pay the most in taxes, I think they should have a say. Funny the example you elected to use. Says a lot about you.

As someone with MoP CM sets, WoD CM weapons, and 32 mage tower weapons I’m totally fine with Blizz putting all the rewards on a vendor for gold :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Let me know when any of the AotC mounts make their return.