Mage Tower - Heartbroken

I was commenting about needing to be in Balance Affinity not for a recap of your other issues.

The only people who say it was even remotely easy in Legion are the ones who did it in the final patch where they vastly out geared the encounters. There were a few that were more mechanics heavy, where you couldnt really outgear the fight.

You’re not supposed to go in and get these the first event

Then it shouldn’t have been treated as the ‘main event’ for 9.1.5.

2 Likes

I completed the MTs on my Druid and Paladin (all specs) back in Legion. I specifically came back to get the book mount after having quit several months ago. I expect if I had gotten the book mount, I would’ve been “sucked back in” with 9.2 coming and I’d be a subscriber again.

They will not have me back as a subscriber now. I’m not going to put in the amount of effort to shake off the rust from being away several months, farm the necessary gear to give myself an edge in TW content (if it drops!), do all the research to find that edge to be in the 1% of players completing the challenges for one mount. You need a lower barrier to entry to get those who left back into the game. Otherwise those of us who have already quit can easily shake off that “WOW itch” we all know.

They screwed up so badly.

5 Likes

People have spent the time since the original Mage Tower went away, asking for a difficult solo set of encounters to work towards a goal in, like the Mage Tower. Just because it’s the main event of the .5 patch, doesnt mean it should be something that can be tackled on the first time it’s up.

I will say though, it’s going to be available too sparingly. The original Mage Tower was available every couple of weeks, iirc? It was in rotation with the other stuff. Every 3 to 4 months is stupid. You’ll spend days building a strategy, getting a feel for it and then its gone for a quarter of a year. You’ll lose all the feel you had built up for the fights. IMO

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone was expecting to face roll it the first time. However I can say I’m at over 200 attempts on Xylem and the pulls where I do get closer are due to RNG (defensive procc, more leech heal, lucky teleport location) and not due to skill.

Why?

Players asked for the MT to return even though it was heavily advertised as never coming back. Now everyone has a chance to do that content again. Sounds like it’s the perfect thing to be advertised as the main event for a .5 patch to me.

The tuning is being adjusted. I’d like to see how that plays out before freaking out.

The implementation is what I expected. Catering to the top 10% of players instead of the entire player base. And they wonder why people are quitting in droves.

4 Likes

not even the top 10%, I saw some one posting trackers from wow head showing less than 2% of players had it done

1 Like

I have no real dog in this fight. I did most of the Mage Towers back in Legion. Some early on, but most later once they weren’t so next to impossible to do. I don’t plan on getting this one until much later too, cause I’m playing other stuff and the mount/gear just don’t really do it for me.

Having said this, the amount of complaining would be equal or more if this was face roll easy and all of you were flying around town on your spell books.

It probably is a little over tuned for how little the event will be available but the masses wanted a real challenge, one that didn’t require help from a group or raid.
And here it is. Enjoy it! Don’t spend 200 attempts on it if you aren’t enjoying them and it feels impossible. Get more TW gear, sockets, etc and try again. I think the Frost Mage one back in Legion took me a TON of attempts, since I wasn’t very geared and lacked the Artifact to make it easier.

Also, I won’t be mad if they do nerf it into the ground and everyone can clear it first week. I think it’s replay factor at that point will be hit pretty hard but that doesn’t bother me much either.

2 Likes

Considering original MT didn’t have replay factor once you cleared it with a class/spec…yeah that shouldn’t be a factor here either.

And not many people were clearing it first time it was released. Hence, the replay factor.

2 Likes

when it was originally released it was strait up tuned for people to ‘grow into and outgear’ and even then they had to nerf bat it a ton

with scaling there is no ‘grow into’ or ‘outgear’

4 Likes

Fair enough. If it indeed never becomes any easier to handle due to gearing, they probably have a problem on their hands. I would hope that isn’t what they are shooting for, but who knows.

Personally, I don’t feel that creating limited time events for only a small portion of the player-base’s skill level is a wise move for a game like this.

Maybe they already cut their losses with folks who have moved on to more casual games, and they believe they can hang on to those that don’t necessarily care about mythic progression or challenge hunting.

2 Likes

Why should a form of entertainment be a stressful, miserable task?

Well it’s a game first which means failure is a possibility and what causes someone stress is subjective.

There’s also a fairly large section of gamers who enjoy very hard content. The Souls games are proof.

Wildstar tried to do this and look at what happened there

1 Like

I remember quite a few of the original MT challenges sparking quite a bit of stress and misery for me. But I wanted the weapons, especially the flails. So I pressed on.
I think it should become progressively easier to do though, just like the original one was.

Ok then why not make everything in game require 50-100 attempts on average?