Mag’har Orc Warlocks

It’s clear that we need to corrupt every last mag’har.

I know this is gonna rile some people, and it’s not meant to. However, this whole warlock business with the Mag’har has made me realize that they really shouldn’t exist now. Fel magic causes orcs to turn green, and boy, we have been in some fel places. Whatever Mag’har you might be looking at has been around demon hunters, warlocks, and whatever fel nonsense we’re trekking through at any given time.

Now, I get that the story is that fel magic turns orcs green. However, the story hasn’t been obeying that point up until now, so why should it suddenly recognize it?

There are plenty of ways to make Mag’har warlocks work. Maybe the green skin had to do specifically with the emanations from demon blood, hence even why just exposure to individuals who drank it causes the change, but that just regular exposure to demons or fel doesn’t do anything. Maybe there’s a time limit on it. Maybe Mag’har mages discover a way to wield fel magic without becoming corrupted themselves, like a talisman that protects the wielder from the effects of fel energy. It could be a little pink party hat.

Regardless, when we get Mag’har warlocks, there will then be a way for Mag’har mages to practice fel magic without becoming corrupted themselves. They will still be Mag’har orcs, they will still have Mag’har racial abilities, and they will not have green skin.

3 Likes

Not really.

The Mag’har only joined the Horde 7 years ago in lore, and they’ve not been exposed to any ‘fel heavy’ areas canonically since then.

That’s fair, but they’re still cavorting around with warlocks and demon hunters. According to the lore, just being in proximity is enough. This point hasn’t been addressed by the story, and I expect it never will.

Being in proximity on a constant basis is enough.

The way it’s been described in the lore is that over time, the Orc clans that had warlocks among them (which was most of the clans with the exception of those in Garadar) noticed that their skin was turning green as the Orc Warlocks practiced their magic.

But if you’re not constantly around a warlock casting magic, and I’d wager the Mag’har want nothing to do with warlocks. Then there’s no corruption. The warlock also has to be using spells, so just standing around or talking to a warlock won’t do the job. So the Mag’har could spend every single day in Orgrimmar with a warlock, as long as the warlock isn’t casting any magic, there’s no corruption being given off.

Right, but Mag’har are out and about murderhoboing with the best of them, including warlocks casting spells and demon hunters throwing up fel fire all over the place.

Lightforged Draenei becoming warlocks would also be stupid.

• So much for the “singular path of the Light” narrative Blizzard was pushing.
  • Lothraxion didn’t keep his fel magic when he got Lightforged.
  • It also means Illidan had no reason to be salty about being Lightforged, cos he’d still have been able to use his fel magic after (and made the gold tattoos turning green bit of that cinematic meaningless. Not defending that cinematic, I’m explaining the problems with this new plot development).

And Yrel incorporating them into her ranks would prove me even more right about how much the post-WoD writing for Yrel and co is. :dog: :face_vomiting: At least more people will see the point I’ve been making about this.

4 Likes

Yep, exactly.

Lightforged Draenei Warlocks, Draenei Warlocks, Mag’har Orc Warlocks and Night Elf Warlocks are all stupid.

Their existence doesn’t just break existing lore, it tosses it in a furnace, throws the ashes into a bin and then pisses on it for good measure.

1 Like

I would be happy is we didn’t see Yrel or any other AU character again. This different dimensions stuff is not great.

1 Like

Is the concept of Mag’har warlocks that farfetched? We’ve seen countless times where the orcs will turn to fel the moment a situation becomes to dire for them. They did it when Cenarius and the Night Elves were hunting them down, guzzling down demon blood like it was thirst quenching gatorade. Even with the AU orcs when the Iron Horde was getting stomped by the Alliance and Horde the “Uncorrupted” Orcs turned to fel without a second thought.

Given the fact that the AU orcs were losing to the Lightbound Draenei and that their world was dying, is it really that out of place to see some of them go back to the fel?

Honestly if you think about it, we are dealing with a mostly new generation of orcs who have endured more suffering under the Light than with Fel. Yet for some reason Mag’har orcs came prepackaged with the priest class despite reviling the “corruption” of the Light.

Yes, because their entire racial identity is formed around the fact that they are Mag’har, which is orcish for ‘uncorrupted’. Warlock magic corrupts, this is canon lore, it’s not contestable. So if a Mag’har Orc were to go down that path, while there would technically be nothing stopping them, they would be condemned by their people, assuming they weren’t immediately executed, Overlord Geya’rah doesn’t seem the type to tolerate any corruption in her ranks.

Regardless of that though, they would be corrupted, therefor they could no longer call themselves mag’har. They’d end up having green skin and then they’d be your standard Orc, and we already have standard Orcs who can be warlocks.

Except, for whatever reason, that is no longer the case.

If this change goes through? Yeah it will no longer be the case and it will be another case of Blizzard hacking into their own lore for no good reason.

But for the moment, and until this patch goes live with this change (assuming it does, which I hope it doesn’t) it’s still canon that they’re basing their entire racial identity over them being uncorrupted.

Again, the same could be said about them back when the Iron Horde was around. They were exactly what Garrosh wanted to make. A “pure and uncorrupted” version of the Horde yet they fell to the temptation of demon magic in the end. Actually even before then the AU Mag’har weren’t exactly a pure people with the Shattered hand and Bleeding Hollow were practicing blood magic while the Shadowmoon Clan was dipping it’s toes into the void. Yet Fel is going too far?

They did not refer to themselves as ‘Mag’har’ back then.

The identity of being Mag’har Orcs was created for them after they refused Gul’dans gift before fighting and driving back the Burning Legion. They took pride in the fact that they were not corrupted.

So a Mag’har Orc choosing to debase themselves by going down the path of the warlock runs as a complete counter to their entire racial identity.

Who cares what they called themselves? The term Mag’har has been around since BC and is connected to the brown skin uncorrupted orcs who were not touched by the fel. The point being that the orcs suffer from temptation to wield dark magics. It’s unavoidable for them, even Garrosh who longed for his so called “True Orc” purity was willing to enslave himself and his people to the Old Gods if it meant winning the war.

To act as though there are no mag’har whatsoever who wouldn’t be tempted to wield the fel at the risk of being outcasted by their people is just pure denial. Even the good natured eredar who chose to become draenei when they left with Velen are not all so entirely adamant that they would never succumb to wielding darker magics.

Those of us who care about the lore.

If you’re not one of those people, then why are you here on the story forums where lore is discussed?

1 Like

Alright now you’re just being childish.

I don’t agree with your opinion and view a decision made for the lore as something that could be positive. Sorry if I’m not stepping into your echo chamber, pal.

Allied races were a mistake.

1 Like