Mag’har Orc Warlocks

I can’t think of any Warlock NPC with Brown skin in WoD.

Can you link me any in particular? From Wowhead or Wowpedia.

Because I think that once Gul’dan took charge of the Iron Horde remnants, all those showcased as being Warlocks were given obvious mutations (in skin and other parts of their body) to display their corruption.

Although I may be confused or missing someone.

PS: Careful to not mix the Shadow Priest and Necromancers in Shadowmoon, or the Dark Shamans of the Blackrock. Talking here about Warlocks only.

He might be refering to the bleeding hollow clan in tanaan. But i think that story stated they where attempting to earn a place in the fel horde if i recall and have not been fel currupted prior to the final raid.

Can be wrong of course.

Wouldn’t call them Warlocks to be honest.
Most/all their spells come from the Blood DK spellbook…

didn’t say warlocks were brown. But you didn’t need to be warlock to get green - just to be near them

But in tanaan fel warlocks are black. And other non-fel orcs that walk around them are brown. Not a sight of a greenskin

I agree. There was no warlocks in that area at all.

Making assumptions about what it’s like to be a mag’har in a patch that hasn’t arrived yet is what? You don’t know how they’ll be received by the other mag’har, or even if the mag’har have changed their conception of fel, but you’re saying that the change destroys the lore without knowing exactly what that lore is.

If you don’t know what a sociological concept is, don’t try to invalidate it, isn’t a clan a society? What are they then? Are they a mere group of chimpanzees living in Uganda’s Ngogo forest? Btw even those chimpanzees lives in societies.

And we can have an individual who abandons these conceptions and pursues his own goals, who actively knows the consequences of his actions, who will be branded an outcast and who still goes ahead in his quest for power.

Exactly the same thing happened to all warlocks across all races, and did it destroy the lore of those races and factions? No. You’re just making trouble with something irrelevant to what the mag’har faction is and trying to make it seem like something beyond any barrier of logic.

When in fact it’s the same story of all warlocks of all races, people abandoned by their people, who don’t care about social norms and who are just scholars of a certain school of magic.

No warlock minds being an outcast, they care little for social conventions, they are merely motivated by their own private agenda. The fact that there are people among the mag’har with this same kind of mindset is nothing new in the context of Warcraft.

I’m just taking the trouble, however futile, to try to reconcile your objection with preserving the core characteristics of the mag’har.

A mag’har who chooses the path of being a warlock could in this context be rejected by the mag’har, not be seen by other mag’har as a mag’har, but for gameplay reasons still be a mag’har.

Lore can diverge from gameplay and this has been the case countless times.

How long are you going to continue this charade? Just explain what you mean by that and we can discuss it. I don’t know whether or not he could claim to be a lightforged, there are no elements in the lore that nullify or confirm this. Apparently being a lightforged has to do with being part of a kind of sect, and practicing the initiation ritual of that sect. If that’s your point, a draenei who hasn’t gone through the ritual could be an aspirant, or even a member of that faction in training.

I’m not making assumptions regarding what the Mag’har will be in a future patch.
I’m explaining what they are now.

Apparently, that makes two of us…

You are conflating several different things that need to be addressed separately to understand the consequences (story-wise) for the Warlock conundrum:

• Mag’har = Orcish word for uncorrupted. Taken by Geya’rah to also label their rejection towards corruption.
  • Orc Clan = Group of orcs with common interests and often, family ties.
  • “The Mag’har” (playable faction) = Group of orc clans with shared ideals regarding warlock corruption.

If you have an individual that one day goes “I want to become a Warlock”, then the following happens:

1. He ceases to be “mag’har” (the orc adjective), as we know that wielding warlock power corrupts its users. He becomes, the opposite of “mag’har”.
  2. He ceases to follow the principle that dictates the norm of The Mag’har (playable faction). That principle being: “We reject the corrupting practices our MU counterparts suffered from” (We will never be slaves, we won’t bend the knee, and blah blah blah…).
  3. Regardless of the first two points, he may be able to continue being part of his or her Orc Clan. I’d say it largely depends on which clan he is from, as some are more permissive than others regarding this practices.

So the result is, that this orc is no longer Mag’har. He is corrupted and he has rejected the principles that dictate the faction.
But of course, he would still be an Orc though. And from a specific clan.

So where does he belong to? Well, there is a faction, playable since Vanilla, called simply “Orcs”.

Do you see the problem now?
The two first points alone should be enough to showcase how impossible it is to conflate the words Mag’har and Warlock.

If you want so much to have that angle, why not play the Orc faction instead?

MU Orcs aren’t tied to any of the conditions that define the Mag’har one.

Why create this convoluted series of scenarios, and go through all those hoops, if the end result is basically that of having some individual that the faction itself does not consider part of the own (logically so)?

You don’t have an opinion on said scenario?

Ok, I’ll ask an alternate question then:

An elf that rejects the usage and investigation of the Void Umbric did, can be considered part of the Ren’dorei faction?

For the record, I’ll leave what i would answer regarding the Draenei one: I don’t think that a Draenei that rejects being Lightforged, should be considered as part of the LF Draenei faction.

Your turn.

1 Like

Because they are not stupid. They saw that we were also against the Iron Horde and later the Burning Legion. Both AU Ga’nar and Drek’thar vouch for Thrall (and any PC orc) because of what we did in the WoD intro questline.

The writers are not always 100% correct in whatever decision they make for their stories. It is why they have people like editors. For an example outside of WoW, would you be okay with Toriyama wanting to follow up Freeza with an Old Man and a fat clown as the next major antagonist(s) of Dragon Ball? Because that could’ve been a possibility. If we are not allowed to hold Blizzard to a higher standard than they have clearly set for themselves, what is the point of being invested in the story when they will simply change something because ‘rule of cool’? Even if that thing is a massive contradiction to established lore.

Tell me, did you feel embarrassment when Red Shirt Guy corrected Blizzard over Falstads untimely ‘death’? Or the time they got Azshara’s Night Elf model wrong for the WoE instance during Cata?

1 Like

Not all warlocks use fel

It’s pathetic how many of you are against this instead of trying to come up with narratively creative Solutions to bypass an obstacle

All player classes will eventually be open to all races

Cope and get with the program and be part of the solution instead of insisting this ridiculous mindset

As I’ve stated repeatedly over this issue, would be cool for Lightforged Draenei to borrow from IRL Demonology a la Lesser Key of Solomon and use Light magic to summon and enslave demons

In fact in real life, many priests or occultists put on trial in the inquisition argued that they’re helping the world by summoning and trapping demons, so there’s less demons about

Likewise Maghar Orcs can simply not use fel. I realize most of you are ignorant of warlock lore, but I remind you all that Kira Iresoul in Legion used Bloodstones (blood magic) to bind demons to her will. An Ritsynn canonically uses fire from the Firelands when he invented the Cataclysm spell in MOP.

So a Maghar demonology orc can simply be a Bleeding Hollow Orc doing the same. Likewise Affliction is simply a Shadowmoon Orc and Destruction a Blackrock Orc.

Voila

Not to mention the easiest root is simply a warlock being, as per usual, an outcast of society.

Which I’ve said all of this various times, but hey, a lot of you were arguing it’s fine for Orc Priests to have learned Church of Light religion during slavery, so here we are.

4 Likes

Guldan drank the blood. Didnt you hear him say he gave everything or whatever it was. Come on man… he was the first to use the fel… think a bit more

Lol. They all drank the blood which was reflected in the lore.

And actually non warlocks became green due to the mass amount of fel so its not just using it.

No, they didn’t.

Durotan, Draka and the Frostwolf Clan never drank the blood of Mannoroth, neither did Orgrim Doomhammer.

Their skin tone changed considerably because they were exposed to warlock magic used by the Orc warlocks within their respective clans.

2 Likes

Im sorry you took all too literally.

There is only one way the word ‘all’ can be interpreted.

If I say I ate ‘all’ the cookies, that doesn’t mean there are a few cookies left. That means I ate all the cookies.

It’s simple language basics. If you know that, among a group, there are those that didn’t do the thing you are saying they did, don’t use the word ‘all’ to describe what was done.

3 Likes

Ok show me a source that shows a small amount of fel being used turns them green instantly. They were corrupted by q huge amount of fel over time and its also said the dark portal had an effect on them.

A huge amount. Not just a warlock casting a little spell

I never made the claim that a small amount of fel turns them green instantly. I said that exposure to warlock magic turns them green.

Orcs that are exposed to warlock magic on a consistent basis, but do not practice it, will slowly have their skin turn green over time. This is what happened to Durotan, Draka, most of the Frostwolf Clan and Orgrim Doomhammer.

Orcs that cast warlock magic turn green at a faster rate, but not to the point where it is rapid. This is what happened to Gul’dan, he never drank demon blood.

Orcs that drink the blood of a demon have their skin turn green almost instantly.

1 Like

Also corrupted can be a different term here, they drank the blood and basically had no will just battle lust. I’d say thats what blizzwrd would be going for, corrupted by the demon blood

I might have worded wrong, when i said fel saturated planet i may have been wrong there i should have said a large amount of fel.

You are right that fel corruption did impact Draenor. That’s evidenced clearly enough by Shadowmoon Valley, but also Hellfire Penninsula, as that region of Draenor used to be the Tanaan Jungle, but the use of fel magic destroyed the jungle and left nothing but a desolate wasteland behind.

But by the time that happened, almost all of the Orcs were already heavily corrupted by warlock magic and had green skin. The only ones that were still uncorrupted were the Orcs that were quarantined inside of Garadar, and they remained that way and took the name Mag’har as a result.

1 Like