Macro is life?

I got ya.

I think people think that you can just chain 5 actions together in a macro, press nothing, and it just does whatever when it needs to. We both know that’s not how it works, but I think people are thinking macros are like botting…

Post what macros you need and we will help you. What class? Warrior? A little googling will help.

Post specific question such as “need macro to switch stance , charge, then back to defensive” etc

People will help you.

For casual and a lot of dungeons macros aren’t needed, especially if your fingers are fast, lol.

As a warrior tanking I use a few straight fwd ones. Eg, when I click or key board click one I have that switches me to Beserker, in one click, the macro puts on my 2H sword. And vis a versa. I also add /startattack to several of my abilities (ie, a make a two step macro that has /cast ability and then /startattack) to be sure I actually don’t end up having a target that I have selected but am no longer attacking (ie just standing around before I notice it)

I have several dps toons. I haven’t add macros to those yet. And am leveling just fine.

If this was retail I would say macros are more optional but in this iteration of the game absolutely needed in some instances. I just got my mount last night and to my surprise none of my spells work while mounted so I had to go and update every macro I have made just so I can dismount before performing any action I thought I would use off mount (barrier, nova, cone, blink). Without this you’re just dead in the water while getting ganked having to manually cancel your mount without macro

2 Likes

I just noticed that! Yes, would need macros to dismount while attacking. Ty for pointing that out.

1 Like

Yeah, Druids basically HAVE to have macros for PvP. Instantly swapping forms is necessary, especially when out numbered.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily needed, but it’s helpful for people like myself.

1 Like

I understand. It’s a matter of preference.

1 Like

or hotkey your mount? my mount is Shift+space, it is really simple to hit that then cast whatever spell I want or action. Just as fast and I didn’t need to have a macro for it.

combat is slow enough that you don’t have to have frame perfect inputs and pushing buttons for each action isn’t hard.

2 Likes

Hitting shift space instead of my regular bind just makes things more complicated. For instance I have all my mobility spells bound to ‘R’ so merely by pressing R I can dismount and then press R again to blink saving me time from having to press shift space then r

You don’t actually play Classic, do you?

In game right now.

stop cast Macros for interrupts and stuns are a must

yeah, that doesn’t work…at least for my druid buffs mark and thorns.
did i wrote it wrong?
#showtooltip
/castsequence Mark of the Wild, Thorns

OP, the simple answer is that creating and using good macros increases your ability to react quickly to events in game. This is the beginning and end of the discussion.

You want a warrior tank specific example? Here is a perfect example of why warrior tanks SHOULD be using macros.

You are tanking a boss. A paladin who meant to cast Blessing of Protection on a dps player accidentally casts it on you. This causes you to temporarily drop all threat, and you are unable to attack the mob until you locate the specific buff in your buff bar and right click to remove it. In the meantime, the mob is beating the crap out of your party. By the time you find the buff and right click to remove it, 2-3 of your raid members have died from being one-shot.

Instead of assigning Heroic Strike to your hotbar, you assign the following macro to your hotbar:

/cancelaura Blessing of Protection
/cancelaura Blessing of Salvation
/cancelaura Divine Intervention
#showtooltip
/cast Heroic Strike

Every time you hit this hotkey for heroic strike, you will automatically cancel Blessing of Protection, Divine Intervention, and Blessing of Salvation from your character if it is present, and you will use your chosen attack. So if a pally accidentally buffs you with an undesirable spell, you’ll dispel the effect before you even realize you had it. Copy this macro for sunder armor and any other ability you want to use while tanking, and suddenly you are 99% immune to trolling/sloppy paladins.

If I want to raid heal without macros (or addons), my movements look like this:

1. Move mouse cursor to target needing healing.
  2. Mouse click.
  3. Press hotkey bind for healing spell.
  4. Move mouse cursor to next target needing healing.
  5. Mouse click.
  6. Press hotkey bind for healing spell.

While the amount of time between steps 2 and 3 can be extremely small, it must be present. If you have self-cast disabled in the game settings, those two steps can happen in either order, but there will always be a short delay between your two clicks.

With a mouseover macro, my movements look like this:

1. Move mouse cursor over target needing healing.
  2. Hotkey bind for healing spell.
  3. Move mouse cursor to next target.
  4. Hotkey bind for healing spell.

Across the span of a long boss fight, this results in 33% less physical actions required of the player in order to do the same amount of work, which reduces mental fatigue. If you can perform a fast repetitive task in 2 steps or 3 steps, it is always better to perform it in 2 steps.

Another example:

As a paladin, there are times when I need to quickly bubble and then immediately drop the shield in order to clear a debuff. To do this manually, I must:

1. Click the hotkey for Divine Shield.
  2. Move my mouse to the top right corner of my screen, locate the DS buff among all the other active buffs I have at the time, and right click to remove it.

With the following macro, all I have to do is tap a hotkey twice in rapid succession to achieve the same effect:

/cancelaura Divine Shield
#showtooltip
/cast Divine Shield

As a quality of life improvement, you can add /dismount to the start of all your attack macros so that you don’t have to manually keyboard/mouse click the keybind for your mount in order to attack a target. This can be of great benefit in busy areas that have players competing for tagging mobs, as you can be running towards a mob on your mount and tap your charge hotkey twice in rapid succession to instantly dismount and engage the mob.

1 Like

Ok that explains a lot!! Thanks
But this still doesn’t work:
#showtooltip
/castsequence Mark of the Wild, Thorns

It only cast motw on me, why?

If you want to be a lazy player. Macros are the way to go.

1 Like

You press the macro once for mark of the wild. Then press it again for thorns. It still requires two button presses, but you should see the tooltip change to thorns after the first button press.

I tried it just now with the following and it works for me:

#showtooltip
/cast Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Might

Also make sure that the macro icon is the big question mark, first option in the list. Otherwise it won’t show the proper tooltip.

1 Like

Design your own interactivity. That’s the beauty of macro work. I’m telling my keyboard how my hands are going to drive the character. It doesn’t make it easier, it lets you do more in the same time frame. I’m in group with warriors who are tanking and can’t manage to change stances enough to charge then switch to defensive stance. Meanwhile, as dps, I’ve got full command of all three stances. It’s Kindergarten vs pro.

That’s ridiculous. As a mage you’re not really interested in macros except for

/castsequence reset=Arcane int, dampen, ice shield, mana gem1, mana gem2, conjure food, conjure water

Or
/stopcasting
/cast counterspell