Macbook Pro?

My employer just upgraded my trusty PC laptop to a brand new Macbook Pro. I’ve literally never used a Mac before in my life so I’m going to rely on Parallels and that sweet, sweet Windows 10. But I was thinking of installing WoW on the Mac OS side and was curious if I should even bother.

Haha, I’m so new to Macs I don’t even know how to find the specs on this thing but I know it’s the best 15’’ model they have.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Will work fine if you install mac version on it.

3 Likes

I ran vanilla on a 2004 MBP with zero issues on the mac side and had bootable windows on it’s own partition. Is there a reason you wouldn’t want to run it under mac side of the system?

1 Like

No, that’s what I want, to run on the Mac OS. I’d prefer not to run on the limited Parallels virtual machine since the resources are constrained.

1 Like

I refuse to use windows, I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and a Razer core eGPU with a AMD Vega 64 pushing two 4k monitors. I love my setup

3 Likes

Macbook pros run well but might get hot playing long-term, be careful, of course when I tried it was a 2012 with probly far inferior ventilation. Have fun, it’ll run much better than you expect.

1 Like

Ha, interesting you say that. I was loading all my requisite apps on the thing last night - both in Mac and Windows and the thing was a furnace.

1 Like

Upgrade you say…

4 Likes

Blizzard has very good Mac support. Install the OSX version.

3 Likes

That made me lol. I know, I’ve always been a staunch anti-Mac person. But I didn’t have a choice… although after using it for just about 24 hours now, I’m sort of impressed. It’s very intuitive. It has that “touch bar” which I think is kind of cool but I’d have preferred a touchscreen.

Anyway, since I can still use Windows on it, I’m not too concerned.

1 Like

I mean - WoW is out for MacOS so there shouldn’t be a problem. Especially with classic it’s not really pushing the edges of modern machinery.

Apple products

/gag

2 Likes

Parallels is garbage. Use bootcamp. Or just play WoW on the mac side…it will run just fine.

1 Like

Parallels is just what they had installed. Does Bootcamp get as integrated as Parallels is? I mean, launching applications from the Mac side and having it automatically open up the app in Windows was pretty cool - as well as how the tray shows you what’s going on in Windows.

Apple don’t seem to understand high spec laptops actually need ventilation and good cooling, you can buy a laptop cooling pad for like $20-30 that will probably help if you’re gaming for long periods.

1 Like

Parellels is nicer in that sense–you get everything at once. Though you’re running a program within a program, so I imagine it would be very limiting (it used to be, it’s been years since I’ve tried it though).

Bootcamp is more of a pain for much better results. Comes with your computer and all. You basically split the harddrive/ssd in 2, you choose how much storage for each. You can run windows compatible apps just as well as a PC (maybe an exaggeration) when on that side. The downside is you need to restart the computer to switch between Mac OS and Windows. Worth it for a higher quality gaming experience though.

Ya see I don’t like that. That sounds like a “normal” VM in Windows like Hyper-V or Virtual Box. There’s no integration. Maybe I’ll try it, but I’m really liking the kind of “merged” experience you get with Parallels.

Edit: Actually Hyper-V and VirtualBox are bad examples since they’re the same “program in a program” you referenced. I think a dual-boot (or n-boot) would be more apt. Either way, the integration point is still valid. Plus, dual boot machines are a pain since you have to (as the name implies) reboot to change OS. Having both OS’s right there available at once and “talking” to each other is absolutely the coolest thing I’ve seen in a while.

How’s your boss feel about it? Lol.

1 Like

Don’t run any games beyond solitaire in any of the VMs.

Oh he doesn’t care as long as the work gets done. There’s people in the breakroom almost every day playing SC II together on their work machines. It’s a pretty easy going company.

1 Like