Macbook Pro?

If you can run things just fine on parellels, I’d say stick with it. The integrated experience is definitely nice…and I was disappointed when I had to stray from it. Boot camp is no emulation though–it allows you to install Windows natively much like Catalina is. It no longer is just a Mac once you setup boot camp. And you can always remove the partition if you don’t like it.

Just to add, since Boot Camp is a product of apple, it comes with all kinds of features on windows side. You still get your f1-12 controls, such as volume and brightness. It’s set up really well!

I’m on a Mac, it works great. If you run parallels you won’t have enough memory left. Parallels hogs so much memory, your wow will have very little left.

I imagine I can close Parallels and regain the resources? I’ll have to experiment. I guess I could also try turning down the allocated RAM in the options… maybe that would work?

I play on both, it runs fine on a Mac. My desktop is a Windows machine, my laptop is a Mac.

You’ll get over it, that’s a gamer thing. The only thing that Windows is good for is running games. Go to a programming conference and the majority of the programmers are using Mac laptops.

1 Like

Haha, that’s actually not necessarily true. I’m a developer at a Microsoft shop (NET core, ASPNET core, etc.) and most of my peers have never used a Mac. The company is standardizing on Mac’s with parallels though to keep the Windows users happy, so maybe your point will be more true in my future :wink:

Edit: Oh you said conference… maybe that’s true, I don’t really go to conferences. I can only speak anecdotally from what I see in-office.

I was an ASP dot net developer out of college. That vertical is specifically designed to lock you into Microsoft technologies. It easily set my career back by several years. My career opportunities improved when I removed ASP dot net from my resume.

1 Like

That’s just because OS is Unix-based. They don’t game on them.

Weird. I get LinkedIn messages almost literally everyday looking for dotNET developers. But actually with the NET core initiative, they’ve rewritten things almost from the ground up to target everything - Macs, Linux… obviously Windows. They’ve open sourced most of their relevant technologies and are much more open source friendly. But listen to me, lol, I sound like a MS fanboi.

1 Like

The funny thing is macbook ventilation actually got worse. You would probably have worse thermal issues doing the same stuff now that you did 15 years ago on a mac

1 Like

Do you work for Google? Lol. Sounds like a legit dream gig. How’s the pension plan?

Haha, I’d literally rather die than work for Google :slight_smile: No, just a mid-sized development company that understands that letting little things slide results in happier employees and better productivity. I’m sure you were being facetious but it’s a 10% company match 401k, lol.

1 Like

you’ll get LinkedIn messages every day regardless of what stack you’re using, it’s a tight labor market. Those leads are all bad. I’ve gotten significantly better leads on Twitter, from principals instead of recruiters.

that’s because they realized they were losing the space and were (and still are) playing catch up with the OSS community.

same, and I’ve been a Go programmer for eight years now.

1 Like

True I won’t argue with you there.

the real point is not to shame you about ASP dot net; the real point is that MacOS makes your life way easier if you’re a developer (although maybe not for dotnet core lol). Even just dumb stuff like Homebrew absolutely dumpsters Chocolatey, the worst package management system ever made.

1 Like

I like the cut of your jib.

1 Like

Just do yourself a favor, buy a razor core eGPU enclosure, it’s prob the best product they make. Get a AMD VII card, AMD is supported native, if you dare mess with unsupported GPU and have some downtime if driver updates bug get an nivida.

Core eGPU you say? I’ll take a look at that. Maybe I can get my company to buy it if I find some business-related reason to have one haha.

Hipster products :joy:

what a waste of money

1 Like

I played on a Mac Book Pro for five years without any issues until I was able to save up for an actual desktop. You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

Just make sure you install the Mac version.