Mac OS M1 / 2 Flickering BUG

Hello! I have MacBook Air m1 base model and after installing Mac OS Ventura I have found very strange glitch in fullscreen mode of WoW Wotlk classic. When I click on any place in the world (not interface click) I see the whole ui flickering (clicking fast shows it more) and also fps drops dramatically while clicking. In windowed mode it works fine. Ill show it on video also (sorry for quality) https://youtu.be/VeVUZzCvHDw

It seems that this bug is about in game mouse cursor. When I press mouse button cursor disappears and appears when I release mouse button. In that appearing moment the whole ui flickers and fps drops. Also in some moment in game (while raiding) my mouse cursor changed from hand to some strange triangle and this bug disappears for game session. After relaunching game this bug works again.

12 Likes

I don’t have this issue on my Mac Studio though this is on classic but still in Nagrand, haven’t played Wrath but I guess Classic and everywhere should be fine.
Are you using an external mouse and drivers? And I presume this is on your MacBook Air screen? I can have a look on my MacBook Air later tonight.
Also what addons your using or did you also try without?

I tested it without any external mouse connected and without any addons. Clicking on anything in world causes this flickering and fps drop on MacBook Air screen (fullscreen mode).

Yeah installed it on my MacBook Air M1 and seeing the same issues, a bit of flickering and quite amount of FPS loss. Tried some different settings and resolutions but none of them seem to work unfortunately. I will make a bug report ingame I suggest you do the same.

I just wanted to say I have this exact issue on my MBP 14 w/ M1 Pro. Clicking drops the FPS from ~200 to 160 FPS and the flickering is super annoying. I really wish I hadn’t upgraded to Ventura.

1 Like

BTW i want to say this issue isn’t being ignored, just trying to get ahead of the more serious memory leak first, which appears to be affecting both retail and classic based on latest user reports. This issue being so well documented, especially with that video, helps though.

Going to follow this thread and hold off on upgrading.

Please update this thread if anything gets fixed please!

Oh, good. I came here looking for this exact issue. Interface clicks are fine, but any right-clicks / camera movements with right-click dragging kill 5–20 FPS briefly. Very annoying!

Thank you for response, we will wait for hotfix as soon as possible. I can add only one thing to this bug. In fullscreen mode we see both ui flickering and fps drop (about 20 fps). In windowed mode we dont have ui flickering, but there is minor fps drop while clicking (about 10 fps).

2 Likes

I am on Mac OS 12.4 and while I don’t seem to have the memory leak issue (according to activity monitor), I do have massive FPS drops compared to previously. I was getting 8 FPS in naxx even with all my settings on low compared to last week when it was 60+. Fighting KT, my entire UI literally disappeared temporarily near the end of the fight then would come back for a second then disappear again.

Even in dalaran it occasionally will drop to 20 now.

This bug is also on live for me. It was when this thread was new, then was fixed in a recent update, but with the latest update it’s back. Right-clicking and moving your character or camera kills 10 FPS inexplicably. Frustrating.

2 Likes

Definitely still a problem as of Nov 16.

1 Like

Also I checked this problem in Retail WoW Dragonflight latest patch and it also exists there! Huge FPS drop while clicking and interface flickering. Very annoying bug.

I’ve genuinely been unable to reproduce this on my m1 Max macbook pro in wrath or retail.

Strange but other people on m1 can. You test it in Mac OS Ventura and fullscreen?

i do full screen and windowed, switch between them often in fact. I just did dk starting area today in fact and tabbed in and out a lot, going into full screen every time i was in and exiting to windowed mode when I was out on my M1 Max 2021 macbook pro with 13.0.1

So maybe I need specific settings you are using to trigger it? I run ultra everyting in classic cause it’s classic, but still use 50% render scale and FSR 1.0. I use MSAA 4x since it’s ironically cheaper than CMAA on apple silicon

Use fullscreen mode only on main screen (no external displays), don’t enter dungeons or raids (entering there somehow fixes flickering problem). Graphics settings are not important (I use medium settings and native resolution)

Hello Folks,
I have this issue as well. Not glad folks are having this issue. But, glad it isn’t something I did lol.
M1 Max Studio, 32 GPU model.
1 27” monitor.
Classic WotLK

1 Like

I found out that it has something to do with the disappearing Cursor. When im walking and moving the camera around i need to hold the left / right button and in this case the cursor disappears. As soon as i release the left or right mouse button, the cursor comes back and causes the framedrop, which causes micro-stuttering. Dont have any solution for it…

Playing on a new MacStudio…

1 Like

I have a similar flickering problem as well, running on MacBook Pro M1 MAX