Mac mic issue with Big Sur

There are four of us in our household that play WoW Classic. All of us are on MacOS Big Sur. Two of us set up our push to talk with Catalina, before the upgrade and no issues. The other two of us, however, are unable to get the WoW push to talk voice chat to work.

When you click on a key to set it, it is supposed to pop up the “Security and Privacy” settings for the mic, but it only loads the “System Preferences” window, with no option to manually add the access. I’ve also tried to add it manually, using System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone, but WoW never shows as an option. This seems similar to this issue Microphone Access Issue - Mojave.

We are currently using the Blizzard app (which was granted access just fine), but we’d like to use the in game chat. Does anyone have a work around? Every solution I’ve found is for pre-Catalina and no longer works for Big Sur.

My answer may not help, but I did finally get it to work. I have two options show up in the Security and Settings. I have World of Warcraft as well as Battle.net. I have them both checked. For the longest time, the in game chat would not work for me. It does now. You might have to toggle some sound settings in WoW sound settings itself it trigger them showing up in Security and Settings. I had the same issue, but toggling on and off in game, and rebooting, and just “tinkering” around got it to finally show up and work. I know this doesn’t help per se, but I more or less responded to let you know not to give it. It can and does work… after some trial and error.

Thanks Rexe. I haven’t had any luck yet. I’ll keep trying. I still don’t even get the WOW checkbox in the settings.

I just replaced my old iMac running High Sierra with a new iMac running Big Sur 11.4. Wow worked fine on my old Mac even the voice chat. Wow runs fine on my new iMac except I can’t use voice chat. I can sign in with my party and I get the icons that suggest I am on, but my party members cannot hear me. I can hear them. I’ve skimmed through the notes in this forum and this matches the best. However, World of Warcraft and Battlenet are checked in my privacy settings and still I cannot communicate with my party. I prefer open mic, but I cannot get either to work. Anyone have some suggestions?

1 Like

I gave in and just use Discord now. Never could get the other to work.

Even though I got in voice chat to work on the Mac it was iffy at best. I likewise just gave in and use Discord. I stuck with ingame chat because it was just my wife and myself playing in different rooms. But, ultimately Discord worked much better for us.

1 Like