Microphone Access Issue - Mojave

Devs,

Let me begin by saying I am not a developer, so please excuse any incorrect terminology. I believe there needs to be an update made to World of Warcraft in order for it to access the microphone on MacOs Mojave.

In OS versions 10.13 and below manually adding ‘World of Warcraft.app’ to the Accessibility section of System Preferences - Security & Privacy allowed Voice Chat to access the microphone and the ‘push to talk’ function. OS 10.14 has an additional security layer for camera and microphone access.

In order for World of Warcraft to successfully use Voice Chat the application needs to make a kTCCServiceMicrophone request call which will prompt the user with the ‘Allow Application to access Microphone’ dialog box. Allowing this will add World of Warcraft to: /⁨Library/⁨Application Support/⁨com.apple.TCC/TCC.db and users will be able to enable/disable World of Warcraft under System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Microphone. World of Warcraft will still need to be listed in Accessibility for ‘Push to Talk’ function to work. Unfortunately, Mojave doesn’t not allow users to manually add applications to the Microphone access panel as all applications must be signed. This means that users can still manually World of Warcraft to the Accessibility section to enable ‘Push to Talk’ but cannot manually grant access to use the microphone.

The correct function can be seen on Battle. net. go to Social and create or join a group channel. When you enable Voice Chat for that channel Battle. net it will make a kTCCServiceMicrophone request call prompting the user to Allow Battle. net access to the Microphone. Hitting allow or deny will make Battle. net available under System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Microphone. World Of Warcraft never makes a request call and thus is never listed to be enabled/disabled. Ideally, this request call would be triggered when clicking ‘join voice chat’ under chat channels.

(Battle. net has been spaced out in order for it not to be considered a link)

Hope this has been helpful. Thank you for all the wonderful effort you put into the game.

9 Likes

I have been going in circles with World of Warcraft (Blizzard) and Apple for ten days now; each blaming the other. Thank you for posting this as its where I’ve been hung up for days trying to explain to both companies – neither really hearing me.

1 Like

Glad I was able to articulate this issue for you. In my research of this problem I saw dozens of posts over frustrations with the microphone. Anyone who upgrades to Mojave after the accessibility allowance has been granted to World of Warcraft should be fine, but anyone with a newer build# machine or anyone who does a clean install will have this same problem. I hope they address it before it impacts more users.

1 Like

I can confirm I personally am having this issue as is my brother on his MacBook Pro running Mojave. Battle Net voice seems to behave correctly and sends the request, however WoW does not and there appears to be no work around. I have spent the last two weeks listening to my guild in voice unable to participate.

It would be great if Blizzard acknowledged this and provided and update on its plan to address the problem.

3 Likes

I just spoke with Blizard chat support they still had no work around and offered no bug report or anything. I am unable to get the request microphone access dialog to appear.

1 Like

Does the microphone option come up when in Windowed mode (CMD+M)? Otherwise, granting the microphone access directly through System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone may help.

I have the same issue. No dialog box requesting microphone access and you cannot manually add an application in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Microphone. Mojave 10.14.2

1 Like

Thanks, all! We’re currently investigating the issue specifically with World of WarCraft and the microphone access not prompting. At the moment, there are no workarounds available as the general steps suggested have not worked so far, but we’ll continue to update with any new information!

3 Likes

Thank you for looking into this issue. I can confirm as Draugwen did, the KTCCServiceMicrophone request call is not triggered in windowed mode. Adding World of Warcraft manually to Accessibility does enable the Push to Talk function to work correctly, but World of Warcraft cannot be manually added to the microphone TCC.db. As an example: the correct request call is made by Battle. net but that only allows microphone use for the social channels in Battle. net.

I am also experiencing this issue. Battle .net application works, as does Heroes of the Storm, but I still cannot get WoW to prompt for microphone access.

1 Like

Do we have an ETA on a fix?

2 Likes

They have acknowledged the issue but I haven’t seen any kind of ETA on a fix.

Just poking in here to let everyone know, we’re still monitoring the reports here! There is no ETA on this at the moment, but we are aware of the issue. This may be awhile until a fix is out, since it’s a bug that our team is working on. We’ll continue to update if there’s any information or workaround available in the mean time.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Thank you very much Caterpepi for the update. I might suggest making note on some of the official FAQ Mac pages regarding this issue so it’s clear for others looking for a fix.

Edited for spelling

You can chat on a Mac using battle.net

Not the greatest work around. but it works

1 Like

Spent a very long time on support chat before finding this thread myself. A fix would be great, but in the mean time you should probably let the support people in on the problem so they don’t waste everyone’s time going through a ton of things that won’t work.

2 Likes

The fact that this hasn’t been fixed before a major raid release is really disheartening. I’ve been here in a pug for the past three hours not able to communicate with my peers. Please fix this before 8.1.5

1 Like

The issue is not that we want to chat it is we don’t want the incessant spam of error messages telling us it cannot connect. I have had to make a new chat window just to have usable chat as you cannot filter the messages and nothing I have found stops the red text spam on world view

Hey all,

While we appreciate that this is pretty frustrating to deal with, a lot of the posts on this forum thread are suggestions for the functionality of the system. We are here to diagnose technical issues, rather than act as Quality Assurance or Developers. We’ve definitely forwarded the reports of the bug, but for something that is working as designed, you should use the available suggestion channels. The devs will definitely want to hear the feedback and we get where you’re coming from, this just isn’t the place for it.

Regarding the errors connecting to chat, we are definitely still looking into those, and appreciate all the feedback and patience as we have investigated the issue. Just wanted to let y’all know we haven’t forgot about this, it’s just probably going to need a backend patch to fix at this point.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response. I find it a little odd that Mac users on 10.14 cannot use the built-in default Voice Chat is considered “working as designed”, but if MacOS 10.14 isn’t considered fully supported then that makes sense.

Is it possible this post could be cross-posted into Suggestions and Feedback? I’m happy to do it if you give me some guidance, but I’d prefer not to start a new post and lose any momentum it has created.

1 Like