M3max MacBook Pro (14, 14CPU/30CPU variation.)

Just some thoughts on my initial experiences.

• Was pretty easy to install/setup. Had to much with ghub to get my g600 to work.

• Seems to move between 3-6% CPU usage in valdrakken moderate settings. Will do some more testing and once I get used to macOS can put out some videos on certain experiences.

• Only issue I had was after updating my admins and loading the curse forge app, all of a sudden I heard my MB fans and it got really hot and CPU usage shot up to like 95%. There were 3 curse forge processes (Some render thing) that were chewing up the resources. I closed them, and it went back to normal. I reloaded curse forge again but was unable to duplicate the issue. Weird.

The game seems to run amazing; I had to figure out a way to bind my caps lock but that was it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you having any issues using right click on the trackpad when Secondary Click is set to “Click in Bottom-Right Corner” in System settings?

Not applicable to me I use a Logitech g600 mouse.

Biggest issue is one of my addons for keybinds fails to recognize option as an alt alternative calls it button 6. Clicked is the addon trying bro reach author.

Mind sharing your graphic settings? I’m running on the base model M3 max, and playing on to get the game running without the fans kicking on.

On my 40C M3 Max, I run max settings but with two tweaks
Compute effects off
liquid detail fair
render scale 50% with FSR upscaling. output resolution 4k screen

I also lock FPS at 60, many areas can get way higher then that might many areas can dip down to low 60s so I prefer just using lock to stay solid consistent across board. it also just runs cooler/quieter. I don’t like inconsistent fps even with VRR because i’m sensitive to VRR flicker in most implementations.

1 Like

Will share later when I log in.

Are you on 16 or 14?

My temps can go up to about 85 in valdrakken but outside of that so far in bags and world it says 65-70 degrees which isn’t too bad

Hoping over the next few weeks to see if I were to downgrade to pro chip if similar performance but maybe cooler in 14 inch ?

I know 16 cools a lot better but I want a 14 only.

I’m running the 16-inch M3 max now. Just got it a couple of days ago. I was on the 16-inch M2 pro before, and that ran the game without a sound coming from the computer on moderate settings.

Thanks trying to see someone who talk about 14 inc h thermal since I’m sure 16 has no issues with wow :wink:

Both the 14 and 16 are decent on thermals but I recommend custom fan curves in general cause they will let it run up to 85C before really kicking in fans and as high as 103C on mY m1 Max before i set a fan curve, yes it thermal throttled when CPU literally reached boiling temps before it even cranked the fans all the way up. once i implimented a custom fan curve never went over 70C on my M1 Max. currently the fan software isn’t compatible with M3 yet, but fortunately i haven’t run it hot at all cause it’s barely having to work to meet performance at same settings M1 max had to work hard for

My main advices are this

Avoid 8GB of memory (in general i don’t even recommend 16GB either, 24 or more for apple silicon)
avoid macbook air at all cost if you intend to do anything with it more than surve the web or write. that machine is not meant for heavy workloads or gaming

1 Like

Alright thanks, I have the 14 will stick with it or get lower model, but what fan software are you referring to anyway?

Is there nothing that we can do inside macOS by default to affect that? I have a program called stats and it does have a section add in a fan thingy which I assume is to set the curve.

Ah! The Render Scale! That was knocked up to 200% lol I must have done it while messing around with the settings and forgot about it. That must have been what was clocking my system. Thanks for sharing!

Just curious what everyone’s temps are at here? Mine usually with wow loaded and some other tasks 65-70ish unless I am in valdrakken can go up to around 80. Is the OK? Just wanted some comparisons and such. This is m3max binned. (CPU 14, GPU 30.)

Without altering fan curve, 86C just sitting in valdraken, with adjusted fan curve, not over 70C on same settings. apples fan curve is really crap. Can get even hotter if you push it harder.

I use Mac Fans Control. It has a beta that supports M3 now and have a custom temperature based can curve where I can keep it at 70C and still have fans fairly quiet (3500rpm generlaly playing wow). don’t need to go full blast 5700 at all, but apple keeps them at 1300rpm while chip is at 86C, so frigging dumb. Can it run at that temp, yes, but should it need to when it’s not even under severe load, no. that’s just apple genuinely prioritizing fan noise over wear and tear.

If i actually run a task without my custom fan curve that actually does max all cpu cores, such as encoding, or compute tasks, it willl get to high 90s, or stay under 80C under true max load. So long short of it, great hardware, terrible default fan curve and if you push machine and want it to actually last beyond apple care, highly recommend custom fan curve.

Thanks I guess I would need to buy pro version to do that to download beta ?

Also my temps never almost go over 70 unless I am in a city, do I need to even care :slight_smile: ?

How did you get ray traced shadows enabled? - I have the M3 Pro Max 30gpu

Thanks for any inside you can provide

Oh you can’t enable raytracing on mac since it was never impliment

Anyone ever have the game suddenly start chopping/FPS dropping in valdrakken and then the fans start going ?

I experienced this twice yesterday, my HOT temperature monitor never went about 60 celsius (average) but it was weird. Never happens before.

Yes, but I have the 40c variant of the 14". If I force the fans to run at max speed for 2-3 minutes then the chassis cools down and frame rates return to normal and I can set the fans back to automatic.

I think the entire computer chassis gets heat saturated so there must be a sensor that throttles once that happens. It’s good to know that it happens with the 30c variant as well since I was considering swapping to that model of the M3 Max.

I wish I could handle the 16" but the 14" is just so much better for how I use my computer.

Yeah I avoid that problem by having temp based fan kickup automatically set in mac fans control. it’s a big deal. apples default curve absolutely waits too long. i kid you not the fans don’t even kick on higher til over 90C, by then they’re being too reactive instead of proactive and don’t avoid the throttle.