M+ Keystone freezing for DCs? QoL improvement Ideas?

For M+ keystones, what if the entire dungeon, players, npcs, resources all just had an option/button to freeze in time if a player disconnects? Nothing moves. Every action is halted. Even resources like mana/health/cooldowns don’t refresh. Even if someone’s about to get nuked by something no matter what, that will resume.

Sort of like when you skip the intro into Shadowlands and you get frozen at the side of Oribos to choose between replaying the storyline and “FATE.”

Get two buttons if this happens:

1. Continuing without them.
  2. Disband/burn the key and leave. This is most often what happens regardless.

10 seconds to resume once they start loading in, since the loading screen is often something that ends up killing the player while the model is just standing there. Sososososo often, someone DCs for like 3+ minutes, or doesn’t come back at all.

Today, my net went out entirely and I was that person for about that long. I screwed over my group and nuked their key because of a problem I couldn’t resolve. That’s not fair to my pug group when we were pushing it just fine and had plenty of time for the boss.

5 Likes

and watch the meta become taking turns chord-pulling to pause the game to wait for cooldowns.

like you censoreds would NOT do stuff like that.

1 Like

it could be abused if it was player controlled for sure.

if it was something that is built in to occur only during a disconnect as in some of the RTS games (“waiting for player”), I don’t see why not.

Then we have the debate of whether a DC would count as a “loss” to the team and deplete the key or not though…

1 Like

The idea is that CDs wouldn’t come back up. Everything would just stop. Nothing refreshes. Not health/mana/etc.

2 Likes

so like a Warcraft 3 disconnect? a game pause of kinds?

it breaks a fundamental principle of MMORPGs (Persistency) but other than that it’d not be a terrible thing to try out.

2 Likes

I think so, yes. I feel like some sort of disconnect protection in M+ keys feels necessary with how often I find people DCing midway through a higher key. And not just trolls. Sometimes life just hits them suddenly, like when my service just decided it wanted to go out for about 5 mins.

2 Likes

i’ll just comment that, I think so too…it’s not an overwatch match, it’s supposed to be a living world type of experience when you run a dungeon in warcraft…

if this was for MDI, or like the great push challenge, I can understand it. (tourney realm stuff)

2 Likes

If the nature of pugging and the “mad dash to the end” wasn’t such a big deal, I don’t think DCs would be as impactful. Legion M+ felt like you always had some time and leeway, even with the timewalking version. But now it feels like your key gets burned if the person can’t immediately recover. At least typically, since people often find themselves dying to just about everything and spending time lol.

You never know if there will be a hiccup for anyone. It’s not as bad in raids or pvp, but in uncoordinated timed groups like mixed bag M+, this might be nice.

I guess this feels like a possible option to because lately people have been dcing so often. That’s 40 minutes or so out the window for a burned key. Sometimes they don’t even come back in. :man_shrugging: For a lot of people I know it’s: “I don’t want to pug because we probably won’t time it due to x, y, z. But all my friends/guildies aren’t pushing keys.” I think this type of thing would help that a ton.

2 Likes

Another key, another DC. Feel like Spires is just cursed.
We waited a while and messed around for a while. One of the dps pulling idly just to see how far we could get before the tank returned. Turns out, they can’t because their power is out. We wouldn’t have timed it at this point now, but the fact is that the key is dead and we made it halfway through Ventunax when the tank DCd and did the boss without them. Just had to kill two mini bosses after. But now we can’t even finish the key at all and the time is wasted entirely.

Time that was only spent trying to get another vault slot and a higher M+ rating. No gear. No other rewards. Feelsbad. Even after waiting 30 mins for them to potentially come back in.

I’m just waiting for all the “Mythic plus is an at-your-own-risk-content-so-deal-with-it” arguments, your dps must be low if you can’t 4 man it and still time arguments, it will be abused arguments, etc, etc, etc. I think I’ve seen them all at this point. I still think there should be some sort of key save out there.

1 Like

i’m kind of curious about this. how many times has this happened to you? i can recall one time where it happened in a key i cared about, a 20 DoS. it was going great and the tank vanished. one of the dps was an irl friend of his and told us his modem reset on him and he’d be right back. nobody left, he was back on within 2 minutes or so, and we went on to time the key.

is this happening to you like weekly?

Personally have seen it happen a lot. I’d say the times the offline never came back and the times that they did and we were able to recover were about equivalent.

1 Like

Yeah multiple times a week. I’ve been trying to grind 20s this week for SoA/HoA as my last two portals.

Pretty much 1/4 keys, I’ve had a D/C. Like this just happened lol. D/C at the very start of the fight. Couldn’t get back into the game. Someone we know. Not just some rando that left.

1 Like

ouch, that’s rough. i’ve still got two portals to finish myself. good luck!

2 Likes

Another week, another handful of key afks/logs.

Really would be cool to implement a system like Jailer phasing for those times where trolls just blatantly leave. It’s so common for someone to make a mistake, then rage and log off immediately. This is the third one in one day, and they’re frequent throughout the week regardless.

Give us ways to stop this, please. We had 13 mins left mid Stitchflesh and the guy just bails. Please.

Really tired of seeing this and people getting away with it, especially with plenty of time left:

They give you complete control to invite or not invite whomever you want to your groups. That should be plenty.

There’s potentially missing information here. How many times had people missed hooking the boss? You could have 20 minutes, or 200 minutes, left and it won’t matter if people aren’t ever going to succeed at the boss.

We didn’t miss a hook on the boss. The mage got hit by something on trash and he hit cauterize and immediately just logged off after being toxic at the first boss. We hadn’t realized it til we started that he’d just been standing there.

The guy who left in the Plaguefall died to Domina’s ambush once after not popping a defensive and logged off.

You won’t catch me moaning about a key depleting because the group as a whole just wasn’t working out and people leaving. The sheer amount of pugs who just outright do something avoidable/mass pulling/leaving group/logging off after being toxic is pretty unacceptable. I had a tank last week /lol spam and then left the first pull in Spires just because the dps grabbed Wo instead of Urh.

The fact that most people don’t have a standard group to run with should warrant another measure to not depleting a keystone when people like this ruin the gameplay for so many others. Especially when keys take 30-40 mins of your time, and it most often happens at the very end. 2 weeks ago, my group had to 4man Gambit but still managed to time it after a guy left after chain pulling every mob at So’leah and logged out. Wasn’t his key. He didn’t have anything to lose.

We’d actually 4manned stitchflesh without much issue (took 2 tries), but couldn’t quite get the last boss down in time due to not really being able to maintain cds/weapons.

These aren’t DCs these seem like people rage quiting.

1 Like

Pugging is a choice. If you choose to run high risk content with strangers it magnifies that risk. Pugging allows people to put together groups quickly, but with less security. That’s the tradeoff. Having a regular group provides more security, but it has to be scheduled and isn’t necessarily available on demand. Some people seem to expect that they should get the security of a regular group with the convenience of pugging. It doesn’t work that way.

I pugged 3k this season, and had some frustrating experiences, but not with people leaving. The frustration was from people doing 18, 19, or 20 without being able to handle boss mechanics on Tyrannical. I know this is anecdotal, but in dozens of keys I never had anyone leave a key that was going well. The only times people left were when other people were playing badly.

I don’t mean this to sound mean, but if you’re seeing people repeatedly leaving keys were everything is “going fine”, you may need to consider that you aren’t accurately assessing how well the keys are going.

2 Likes