Low lvl pet, high lvl hunter

It’s time to take bad situation and make it worse.

Go level up your melee weapon skills at the same time.

9 Likes

There’s a number of undead casters in Andorhal. You can also kite mobs and it won’t be too bad.

At 60, I generally go to felwood to level weapon skills as a warrior. Mobs are green and i can take a beating while my skill raises. i’d assume you could do the same to level your pet without it taking too much of a beating between pulls.

1 Like

There are immortal mobs in Blasted Lands that are green that don’t really hit that hard, either.

The problem with a low level pet (especially that low) is that not only would they die in a few hits, they can’t hold threat. And Hunters do next to no damage if forced to melee, so they have to kite the mob.

I think the pet has to be involved in the fight for it to gain XP…

1 Like

The issue with a lower level pet and higher level hunter is that it’s slow going grinding mobs without the pet’s DPS and aggro to keep them at range.

I recently did the grind with a Worg from SFK for his 1.1 attack speed. It was level 19… and I was 37. (I had also just tamed Brokentooth… but we were same level so no issue there.

You have to kill mobs that are at least green to you… and the lowest you can go is 8 levels lower. Initially this is exactly what you want to do… Why? so you can kill it faster… a the pet will miss it’s attacks and cannot keep aggro.

Once you get within 11 levels of your pet… start killing mobs 3-4 levels above your pet… they will be within 8 levels of you then… but the pet can hold a little aggro and allow you to kill it faster and gain more EXP.

The more EXP YOU gain, the more it gains. So rested XP is VERY desirable… as you get double XP from those green mobs at first.

Another tip is to try and find areas with ranged mobs like casters, archers, or spear throwers. Why? Because they stay at range, and you put out more range damage than melee. They often have less armor so die faster. For example… Naga casters are good… they’ll hit you for nothing and die pretty fast. Don’t let your pet die… a dead pet will not get the EXP for the kill.

The fastest method is to run instances with a strong group… ones who could do well even without you there. Put pet on passive and stay well back form the group. You will get the most EXP, and thus so will your pet, with the least amount of negative effects from having to solo melee mobs.

6 Likes

It just has to be summoned and the hunter has to gain XP. It can sit on passive the whole time.

No. It just has to be alive, summoned, and within EXP range when the mob dies.

1 Like

Thanks Espur.

I would farm furbolgs or elementals. Mobs in the low 50s are of very little threat, while still offering great XP for a scrub pet. Magic elementals are a very easy farm if you are over their level due to resisting all of their attacks. Put max resist on that element to your pet to help it survive. For example, if you’re going with fire (ungoro mountain), then max fire resist on the pet.

Actually if you have imp raptor strike (don’t know why any hunter wouldn’t at 60), your melee damage isn’t bad at all. My hunter almost never kited anything. I just ripped enemies with my 2h. If they aren’t even at 60, you don’t exactly need top damage to kill them. 1 aimed/multi shot on the pull cripples a 50-55 mob. Also, with the aspect up, low level enemies struggle to hurt you.

Unguro Crater kill fire elementals? Bonus is the drops are used my alchys for potions for MC.

There are a ton of options at lower levels, not so many at 60 unfortunately.

A lot of the ghosts in the lake in winterspring are casters, you could try there.

there is orc casters in burning steppes, and check the caster satyrs in felwood, they might still be green and they drop cloth/felcloth, runes

Going deep Surv is a DPS loss if you’re already hit capped, which is easy until full T1 (though the scope is now reportedly in game so even then it’s not needed). If you’re melee weaving Imp. RS is a thing, but that’s not for every boss and even then there are some very good utility talents in the BM tree for your pet.

Also, it’s better to fight ranged mobs as you do significantly more damage at range.

I didn’t say go deep survival. Improved raptor is on the 2nd row. I’m also not talking about boss fights. I don’t know if you forgot the topic, or just didn’t read what you quoted; but we were talking about farming low level mobs.

Just go farm the casters that drop the crusader pattern if they aren’t heavily farmed on your server. Easy to kill casters that drop valuable loot.

https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=4494/scarlet-spellbinder

Dark Casters in EPL drop valuable tailoring patterns, quite a few more melee mobs in this area though so you have to be a bit picky.

https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=8526/dark-caster

More than 3 pts is deep Survival. Even then, 3 pts at our gear level may not even be as much a DPS increase as increased pet damage as they’re not going to scale any harder but we will. Plus as I said, you can’t weave on every boss and weaving properly relies entirely on being good at timing.

You made a statement saying that you didn’t know why any hunter at 60 wouldn’t have Imp. RS. I told you why. The only specs that utilize it would be deep Survival (primarily for Surefooted and secondly for Imp. RS for weaving), or a PvP spec. The current best raid spec once hit capped (especially with the scope in game) is 20/31/0 (or at most 17/31/3), and the Princess farming spec also requires Pathfinding.

First sentence is an opinion, literally all the rest is wrong and/or irrelevant to the topic. Not going to help you continue derailing though. You should make your own thread to discuss junk end game builds.

Edit: Felt one bit should stand out a bit more.

Survival outside the first tier, Surefooted and Imp. RS is a DPS loss and is entirely utility (so, more often than not for PVP) which isn’t what most people are going to be taken. Especially given without Pathfinding you’re going to have a much more difficult time farming Mara Princess. The top DPS spec right now given hit cap isn’t hard to get (especially once the scope is easily obtainable) is also 20/31/0. If you don’t have good pet micro, then of course BM isn’t going to be great.

My entire response is based around the fact you seem to think any 60 Hunter should have at minimum Imp. RS, which I disagree with. And it also isn’t in the bulk of level 60 talent builds.

EDIT: And I already answered the original topic earlier, so.