Low CONSISTENT DPS is better than no DPS

Focus more on staying alive during a boss fight/doing mechanics. Stop looking at damage meters, it means nothing if you die. We’ll get through the fight together. JUST BELIEVE!

6 Likes

Low DPS also causes wipes. You have to do mechanics and do damage, not one or the other.

3 Likes

Not always. It’s the ones not watching out for mechanics because they are always peeking at meters instead of watching for the bad stuff they need to drop away from the group and causing a wipe.

1 Like

It can be both

2 Likes

No it does not. I have not seen this unless the boss is a dps check.

2 Likes

Most bosses are dps checks by one mechanic or another. Or the healer just goes oom after a while

3 Likes

So in other words… low DPS also causes wipes.

6 Likes

Not absolutely, no.

It’s both. THey go hand in hand.

Then a dps dying doesnt cause a wipe either.

Because they are both the same thing, at the group level.

4 Likes

What content are we talking about here?
M0/LFR?
+2-4/Normal Raid?
+5-8/Heroic Raid?
+10-15 /Mythic Raid?

There is a point where this is true… but then there is a point where you have to do both.

2 Likes

Did someone say “100% of the time” somewhere that I missed? I saw an “also,” which is “in addition to,” which means low consistent dps is better than none, but can also cause wipes.

How did you deduce that stupidity?

I am agreeing with the OP that focusing on mechanics kills bosses instead of focusing on dps.

The ideal situation is you’ve mastered your class and spec well enough that you don’t need to focus entirely on your action bar. Instead, you can focus on the environment while the rotation largely takes care of itself.

That takes practice, though.

2 Likes

Lets say each dps is doing 200k.

That is 600k from the dps in the group.

If a dps dies, the dps role in the group is now doing 400k. If a second dies. the dps role is doing 200k.

The group, is doing low consistent dps.

Now lets say, instead, each dps is doing 66k. But they all stay alive. The entire group is doing 200k.

The same result.

And most people are saying you need both.

4 Likes

You’re doing actual math to expose a logical fallacy by the opposing party. Favorite poster in these forums by far

Well yes, I thought it was implicit that everyone is alive, because they are following the mechanics. You’re adding extra layers to something we’re not even talking about.

Lets say the boss has 200 million health and an enrage timer at 10 minutes.

Either way your 200k dps isn’t going to beat the enrage time so you are all dead.

1 Like

I think you’ve whoosh’d the point.

It doesn’t matter if everyone is alive if the dps is high enough for the purposes of this thought experiment

Ok and?

All I am saying is that if you look at it at the team level, everyone staying alive and doing low dps is fairly similar to some dying, but doing higher dps.

They both can cause failures in the fight.

I am well aware that in order for the argument to be “everyone staying alive and doing low dps means you will be successful” only works if you ignore those extra layers like “how things works”. Because then it exposes the line of thought.

You often need both dps and doing mechanics at the same time.

1 Like