Lost connection to the voice chat service

Would also like to add, that the problem persists through a clean and fresh install of Windows 10. Almost every loading screen will get hung up, eventually loading after a minute with the “lost connection/reconnected to voice chat” message waiting for me. Or just randomly out in the world, my game will freeze up then continue 30 seconds later with the same message.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the freezing quite as severe as some others have, but my game does hitch a little when I’m getting this. Just did a clean install of WoW and it’s still the same.

It would almost seem as though there is something in the OS blocking the connection, but I’ve already allowed the WoWVoiceProxy through the firewall with no changes. Completely disabling the firewall also makes no changes. It’s not anything outside of my computer as I have other computers on the network that are not seeing this issue.

I’m really stumped. I can understand if the issue isn’t something within WoW that Blizzard can fix, but at least give us enough information to be able to fix it ourselves.

Can we get a response pls Blizz…

This is soo annoying

So far their response has been “deal with it” or “some players gave tried this and it worked for them but we don’t advise it”. No options to shut it off, and even though I have my firewall set to block the voiceproxy.exe file, that terrible program I want 0 part of keeps starting up and lagging me out anyway. I’m gonna double check that I did it right, just to be sure.

This is still happening. I can barely play anymore. I freeze/crash at least 10 times a day.

Fresh UI, no addons, all drivers latest… HALP!

1 Like

I heard there was a unsupported fix that you can enable parent controls for your account and then go into the settings there and disable/uncheck voice chat or whatever it is. This helped some of my friends who were having this issue.

I personally am not having this issue but I also use a paid Anti-virus solution which is pretty good. If it were a bug in the game i would imagine more would be having this problem

It’s very likely a lot of people experience lag from this but its not so terrible that they are willing to come to the forums to report it.

Also some people might be running older PCs and not think its this reasoning, but instead slow load times are just their own hardware.

I think there should be the option to turn it off to prevent it. I recently have been getting a lot of the ‘lost connection/restored connection’ stuff and its pretty annoying.

I get the lost connection message all the time. Especially after hearthing.

I removed the voice proxy in the firewall app settings to allow it and in removing that my issue has stopped for now I will monitor it though out the week and see if it happens again

After hearthing, zoning into instances, and…sorting my bags all cause the sudden lag and “you have lost connection” message.

Hey all,

While we appreciate that this is pretty frustrating to deal with, a lot of the posts on this forum thread are suggestions for the functionality of the system. We are here to diagnose technical issues, rather than act as Quality Assurance or Developers. We’ve definitely forwarded the reports of the bug, but for something that is working as designed, you should use the available suggestion channels. The devs will definitely want to hear the feedback and we get where you’re coming from, this just isn’t the place for it.

Regarding the errors connecting to chat, we are definitely still looking into those, and appreciate all the feedback and patience as we have investigated the issue. Just wanted to let y’all know we haven’t forgot about this, it’s just probably going to need a backend patch to fix at this point.

Hey. Same issue in March. Reading over this thread, it looks like this has been a chronic problem for players since this service was rolled out.

I am running Windows Defender and a fresh install of WoW. I started noticing this issue and absurd levels of lag after the spam started rolling in. Both retail WoW and the Voice Proxy are whitelisted. I’m noticing a moderate memory leak as well when I close the game after its spammed me for just a good couple of hours.

When I first started playing again (last time I stopped was Legion) I thought it was a nice idea to have voice, but its not something I will ever find myself using. I felt that BattleNet itself having the feature was fine enough and that having it in-game was a bit redundant. When I went to turn this feature off, I found myself baffled that I could not do so. I just simply turned off the volume for my mic and hoped that was that…? It confused me as to how something like this couldn’t be turned off when every other game with built-in voice services allowed me to turn voice services off and always simple to find.

Reading this thread, it looks like there’s no resolution to this issue and like the development team is not taking player privacy seriously. I imagine there has been more than a few cases where someone is heard and they don’t even realize it. I might have and I don’t even know it…! Not to mention the privacy/security concerns over another service that opens microphone use.

I feel like the only way to “turn off” this service is to unplug my microphone, which I don’t want to do because I’m already using Discord or TeamSpeak in the background! Or yanno, that I have to start deleting files out of my game client. Absurd!

Consider an option to turn this feature off and I think suddenly the level of complaints you get about the issues caused will disappear. This reminds me of the whole Twitch Client-Curse Client thing from a few years back where an entire change to the client was shoved down the WoW Community’s throats. Also they were told to deal with it.

If you can program an “on” switch, you can program an “off” switch. You cannot tell a junior developer that this is not possible.

3 Likes

And if you can post a wall of text, you can read the blue post from 8 days before yours that says suggestions are not going to be heard here.