(Lore/Story Stream) Tyrande's Demand and Elune's Assistance

Since I still seem to be able to post without a sub at the moment, I thought I would make a thread about this.

During the Story/Lore Livestream yesterday, they touched slightly on the Night Warrior ritual. The wording they used seemed odd to me, and I was wondering other’s opinions on it.

They described the Night Warrior ritual as Tyrande “demanding” additional power from Elune, because Tyrande believed that Elune did not help them enough during the War of Thorns.

I was curious, what is your opinion on that? Personally, I don’t really like the idea of Tyrande DEMANDING power from her Goddess. Also, the idea that Tyrande, literally the chosen priestess of Elune, believes Elune didn’t help them enough seems really strange.

EDIT: An example of the change in Tyrande, as found by Wintersong in the SF Discord!

“The Mother Moon does not exist to answer our every demand like a servant…and all I know is that we must fight and accept either death or survival.”-Tyrande 5-7 years ago

and now Tyrande Whisperwind says: I served you for millennia. But tonight, I do not come as a maiden, mother, or even priestess.
Tyrande Whisperwind says: Now, I will serve you only if you grant me justice!

4 Likes

This couldn’t possible backfire for Tyrande at all…

7 Likes

If you thought Night Elf fan crying was bad now, just imagine how bad it would be if that happened.

20 Likes

sounds like tyrande had enough of serving her.
if she isn’t going to to give her the power to protect her people, then why worship her?

14 Likes

My best guess:

Perhaps the Night Warrior ritual itself requires a certain level of hubris to begin with. Perhaps it is a demand in and of itself - which is why she never tried it, and others have paid with their lives for trying it.

At present, the ritual seems to have been known about by only a select few. All who tried it since the ancient times have failed. Shandris knows nothing about it, and she is Tyrande’s adopted daughter. Maiev knows everything about it, as a Priestess and Warden herself.

Perhaps the ritual itself requires demanding Elune’s efforts. Something that other Night Elves tried and failed. Perhaps the reason Elune granted Tyrande her power is because she saw Tyrande’s reasons as worthy, and the previous Night Elves demanded her power for more selfish reasons, which angered her.

11 Likes

She definitely seems to have changed now. Anduin denying the kaldorei aid has probably helped contribute to this as well.

5 Likes

I too am looking forward to when Blizz kicks the Night elves further down for this storyline.
/s

7 Likes

Elune probably should have struck down Tyrande for making a demand like that, but that’s probably the last thing a night elf fan needed at the moment. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if the Night Warrior stuff actually comes with some kind of bad consequence for her or if it just gets brushed away.

1 Like

In the interest of time and keeping my sanity, I will just say that, yes, I do think Tyrande was in the right to make demands of her goddess. Her people believed in Elune and she sat by and watched while they all burned.

5 Likes

Sort of parallels same line as Delaryn to me in a way.

Both see how much love and faith was put in Elune, all she did was grant them peaceful deaths, but didn’t prevent them.

Both pretty much loses all faith in Elune, but where are Delaryn realizes the only path for her is team up with the person that killed her hope, Tyrande choke holds Elune until she get’d roided up on moon juice.

Delaryn still see’s it as a bunch of bull though and considering she was one of the people killed in the first place, don’t think you can really blame her for doubting in Elune’s powers. Thought it really suffers from the whole “rule of cool, lemme explain later” and despite Sira looking REALLY COOL, she doesn’t help the situation.

Anyways, we kinda saw the same situation with Velen and his faith in the Light when we killed Rakeesh, but that only popped up again when when he met up with Illidan and learned that instead of putting faith in the Light 24/7, he should also be putting more faith in himself, yadda yadda yadda

But then we get Tryande going full on “Ow The Edge” with the black eyes, going 100% on her hate for the Horde seeing them as unforgiveable monsters, even teaming up with Maiev for real. Glad she gave Anduin the middle finger before hand instead of just forgetting Teld ever happened. BUT…

Blizz earned the distrust of Night Elf fans over the years for good reason. I doubt some new eye contacts + Dazar’alor will be enough for most Night Elf fans while Darkshore in stuck in warfront limbo. Personally I’d rather see the continents get claimed by their respective factions like originally planned, so that means the Alliance will have to lose Darksho-

Wait why are you raising that glaive?

8 Likes

uses some roots to bury Grahntorinu Tauren Death Knight? No I haven’t seen any of those around. Why do you ask?

12 Likes

Casts Resurrection on Grahntorinu There’s a Death Knight.

8 Likes

A god is under no obligation to answer to demands, but much like how N’zoth ultimately gave Azshara what she wanted because there was scant other choice, Elune likely acquiesced to Tyrande because losing her chosen among the Kaldorei was likely not worth rebuking her for any perceived arrogance.

There’s also the matter of Elune’s personality, she’s not a spiteful or jealous goddess, and it’s entirely possible that she personally feels she failed her children and is burdened with guilt. We don’t really know how Elune may feel about what all has happened, but somehow I think she’s not petty enough to smite her dearest follower for lashing out at a time when she’s clearly in pain and desperate to fight an enemy that undoubtedly Elune wants beaten as well.

12 Likes

As far as i’m concerned? Elunism, as a religion, is dead. Or at least dead to everyone who follows Tyrandes way to do things.

Faith is about letting your god lead you wherever you go, even to your death, because it’s all about the belief in the end that god has a plan and they will do what is just and righteous. ‘Faith’ born of demands is not faith at all.

It’s a business transaction.

1 Like

typhoons him off cliff I think you need to get your eyes checked.

1 Like

That’s a very judeo christian way of assessing the situation. Not every religion demands blind faith in an omnipotent creator god.

3 Likes

Well maybe Elune should have proven worthy of the faith the NE’s put in her then. She’s not some unseen, mysterious ways deity who may or may not even exist like real life religions.

2 Likes

Tell that to the Zandalari Empire.
“Have you come to bargain?”

2 Likes

i don’t know, to be honest i kinda like how the kaldorei culture is changing.

it seems like the only race who is evolving,in what exactly? we don’t know yet.
i hope that blizzard can keep exploring them to see that the nelfs are going to be about. is kinda exciting. i wish more races could get this kind of focus. i mean, other races seem to be static forever. this isn’t the case for nelfs.
“you can’t have victory without defeat” :o

2 Likes

It is absolutely a very Judeo-Christian way of looking at things. But it is how I define true faith.

I’m not saying the Night Elves are wrong to abandon their faith, I just don’t believe it is a faith anymore.

1 Like