Loot Trading in Classic *updated*

Then I guess people had better learn to ask permission before assuming… Just like in Vanilla

Communication is key

3 Likes

I think that’s fine. In the original game players and GMs had a tighter bond but that was lost over the years as the player base grew and Bliz automated more and more of the higher-volume GM requests.

So at this late stage I hardly expect Bliz to add tons of staff to recreate those old interactions. And, honestly, the player base is more knowledgeable these days. The occasional mis-looted item is part of the game. A player can swear up a storm for a few minutes, but then should learn to move on :-).

In my entire WOW-playing life … well, I played the game heavily those first few years. I only asked a GM to fix a missed assignment once, and only because the particular guild member had been really looking forward to getting the item for weeks before it actually dropped. And we muffed up the assignment. Oops! But hey… in modern times it is just as fair to say oops, and ‘that is the way the cookie crumbles’, maybe try to compensate the player somewhat for mis-loot out of guild funds, and then move on.

-Matt

Yep. Not sure how hand of justice works? ASK IN THE GROUP CHAT. Simple as that. This isn’t rocket science…

Communicate…

2 Likes

Okay, clearly a nub here. What is RCR?

Hrm…pretty tired, probably gonna feel dumb when I find out.

1 Like

I second this person’s question.

Right Click Report. Which there’s nothing wrong with. The auto-squelch is the problem.

4 Likes

AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Blizz onboard with community police work. Good day!

3 Likes

What… Reread the posts.
When loot drops the master looter can send it to you
And it will not bind untill you equip it
If you do accidentally equip it they will not reverse it via tickets

Please don’t spit on our cupcake and call it frosting.

You can’t justify loot trading as being “good” for us, because it won’t require we wait so long to correct loot mistakes, then tell us that you’re scrapping it for 5 mans because of the potential for abuse, then tell us that Blizzard will not be responding to loot issues at all.

We’re not idiots. It’s obvious that customer service wasn’t going to happen, so please don’t try to paint these things as being done in our best interests or for our convenience.

Sharding, right click report, Loot trading, auto-squelch, 1.12av being the only AV, modern client, etc are things being done to us to increase profits, not being done for us to improve our experience.

We know the truth, we’re still planning on playing, you don’t need to try to spin every cost cutting measure.

4 Likes

Profits huh?

Sharding in retail is bad. For Classic it hasn’t happened yet and there are very valid points for why it may be included.

RCR is a GUI improvement to the reporting process and it’s implementation has been highly effective against gold spammers. It’s necessity in retail for this point is diminished by the WoW Token but it will be very useful in the closed economy of Classic.

Loot Trading isn’t necessary to be included at all. I for one see no need for GM intervention in loot issues anyway considering there are in game systems for distributing loot. Human error shouldn’t be Blizzard’s problem. The QoL solution here is a very fair compromise that targets a niche case of very saught after items accidently being fat finger ML’ed to the wrong player in raids. Blizzard has decided to offer raiding guilds an olive branch to sort out the rare missclick themselves. Keep in mind equiping the epic soulbinds it.

Auto-Squelch is an abusable mechanic that has many pros and cons. I don’t see how this relates to profits unless you’re implying the system is implimented to reduce the amount of GM’s. Considering that all tickets get reviewed by a GM and that ticket response times for years have fluctuated I find proving this to be difficult.

1.12 AV is a valid iteration of AV for Classic which has clearly been stated to be based on version 1.12 of the game. If they change this to an earlier version it’s their own prerogative. Keep in mind they are spending time fixing the lightposts in Classic because their glow is slightly wrong. I highly doubt it’s too much of a task to recreate 1.5AV.

Modern Client has numerous advantages to it over the old one. While I personally would be fine with a copy paste of the old client, it still sucked. There are numerous bots, hacks, performance and stability issues with the old client. I wont dare you to play on a Pserver, but have fun fixing widescreen, addon lag and many other issues. Assuming Blizzard recreates the Vanilla UI to near perfection there are few good reasons to use the old client.

Tell me again where our experience is being put second to their profits. In detail please. I’ll be waiting.

3 Likes

Alright.

I will.

Sharding - Modern wow uses virtual cloud based servers rather than physical servers. Sharding in classic is being touted as a way to smooth the launch, I, contend that this is not about improving the player experience, but the simple fact that their newer, cheaper servers are incapable of handling a zone with 500 people in them. Proper servers, for a more authentic unsharded experienced would cost more. Profits before gameplay.

RCR - This is an extremely abusable mechanic that is used in place of actual gms. Profit before player experience.

Loot trading - This is also abusable. It turns any non-guild raid into a gbid raid. They’re including it because they’re not going to have gms to handle loot issues. Profit before player experience.

Auto-squelch - It’s incredibly abusable and serves only one purpose that wouldn’t be fixed by an uncapped ignore list. It squelches gold sellers. Normally, they’d have to actually monitor the game and take action against gold sellers. Auto-squelch lets them do it without gms, at the cost of people abusing it. Profit before players AGAIN.

AV - Alterac valley existed in two very distinct forms, changing mid way through its classic life span. 1.5 is as valid as 1.12 in that sense. Having both, or switching from one, at phase 3, to the other around phase 5, would be far more authentic. We are losing something, we aren’t gaining anything. They are gaining something though, they don’t have to rebuild av 1.5. Profit before authenticity.

Modern client - It’s cheaper for them to run retail and classic on the same architecture. They’re sacrificing authenticity for profit.

The only instance I’ve seen of them of putting authenticity first where it could possibly have cost them is simulating spell batching.

4 Likes

Then can we have the official rules allow that? Currently if we do naming and shaming, like you folks are suggesting, we will get our account banned. Either make it so we can name and shame in chat AND in the forums without consequences, or there is ZERO consequences except with the people in the group with them personally.

3 Likes

I agree with everything in your post, just wanted to point this one out…
I use pserver 1.12 on a 21:9 screen w/o a problem. Nothing to fix there.

Makes sense. This makes me wonder if Blizzard is incapable of reinforcing servers to handle that kind of load. They’ve publically stated that they can allocate processing power as demand increases, a perk of cloud servers, to what limit I wonder. Now how will Blizzard handle player counts such as that outside of the starting zones that are no longer considered sharded. If they shard there, the entire world, as well then you’re entirely correct.

RCR is just a GUI for filling out reports. It really doesn’t have anything to do with their profits or GM numbers. It’s no different than filling out a normal ticket in Vanilla other than a few less clicks.

It is abusable. A lot less so after the change. While I have a preference for no GM support for item missclicks, it is a change in policy from Vanilla. A Vanilla policy of GM’s handling item transfers to a Classic policy of GM’s no longer handling item transfers. Less tickets means less customer service so it makes sense that Blizzard has to have less GM’s. In that way it is profitable to Blizzard. I wonder if the player experience for raiders in a cooperative guild would in fact be better by not having to wait for that long of a turn around. Gbid raids were a thing before loot sharing, just like buying mythic runs in retail is now.

I see a few scenarios were a masterlooter may hold an item hostage, but as the masterlooter they already have control as to who gets the item. Don’t join a sketchy pug run.

It’s unreasonable to have GM’s monitoring hundreds of thousands of messages from whispers, say/yell, general and trade chat. I want to be clear that the auto-squelch is a good thing but it’s punishments is flawed. How many reports, the level of squelch, and the account silence punishment is a different conversation. I don’t see how this reduces the amount of necessary GM’s as all reports get reviewed by a GM anyway. I’d say the system itself is a direct improvement to the player’s gameplay experience.

This is conjecture but I’d assume that the report system has been streamlined and implimented with a priority system that allows Blizzard GM’s to handle tickets faster. The modern GM can likely resolve tickets faster than the old school Vanilla ones.

Clearly if they have to spend man hours building something it will cut into their profits. I don’t see this as losing something because we were never promised 1.5AV to begin with. This same arguement can be made that Classic itself should start at patch 1.0 and evolve using the original Vanilla patch timeline. If it’s a question of motivation to be authentic then consider this. In the future once Naxxaramas is out and everything should be based on 1.12 is having a 1.5AV authentic to that 1.12 experience? If they’re going to follow the patch timeline then we’d just end up losing the 1.5AV anyway. This falls more in line with making a choice on consistency versus saving a couple thousand dollars on development.

The modern client runs better. It’s had years of security fixes and improvements for multi-core architecture. If they give us a BFA UI then yes I’d agree with you that they cut corners, but we don’t know what the UI will look like yet. It’s reasonable to expect that they will recreate the Classic UI to be as similar to the Vanilla UI as possible. If anything the development time here costs them and provides us authenticity.

1 Like

I’ve heard reports of screen stretching issues and graphic glitches where alt-tabbing causes the old client to revert to a lower resolution. While I’m sure the old 1.12 client can work, the modern client should work better.

WOAH there dual cruel barbs is BIS for hunters. I mean i don’t play a huntard but if i did, id roll need on them every-time!

Warriors and rogues are going to hate you. :rofl:

I mean if yer playing a hunter doesn’t everyone hate you anyway? Its all good though i think im gonna main a dwarf priest everyone will love me and my cute pigtails!

Paging Starman

1 Like

This is extremely important. Blizzard, if you are not going to police players, you have to let us do it. If you don’t let us do it, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

The current rules of conduct are not compatible with how Classic was played. It doesn’t fit.

5 Likes