Loot Etiquette

I’ve been playing Wow since just before BC’s original release. I’ve been playing MoP Classic for a month or two now, and having fun. On this character, I’m levelling Enchanting, and of course due to there being a low population on the server, mats are scarce. So when I run dungeons, if the gear I win is not an upgrade, I DE as I need the mats.

Now here’s the thing. I started Needing on anything it allows me to need on, because regardless, I need the mats. But I just got booted from a group without an explanation. I can only assume it was because I was needing on the majority of loot (which if someone spoke up, I would have apologized and either pass on everything else this run and change my looting practice, or simply start greeding instead. I wasnt trying to take away from loot that someone desperately needs, and honestly, after I was booted, most of what I did get were legit upgrades I immediately equipped.

Please advise me on what the proper ettiquette is for looting in low level normal dungeons so i am not causing an issue. As much as I desperately need to level enchanting, I don’t want to do so at the expense of quest and dungeon completion and xp.

You could try whispering the people in the group to see if someone will tell you why they initiated a vote to kick, and why it passed.

Otherwise, you can only guess.

This could be the reason.

I’ve seen people, over the years, either ask or state that they would be needing on everything for enchanting. Every time, I have stated that they should greed. And if they are going to need on everything, I will either initiate a vote to kick or leave.

It’s whatever people tolerate, I suppose. As stated above, I would (typically at least) not tolerate someone needing on everything, though admittedly I often don’t notice.

:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

The traditional approach is that “need” means you can use the item as an upgrade. For the character you are playing. Rolling “need” because everyone needs money or some other character could use the item or to disenchant (destroy) the item was a really fast way to not only get booted but to get ignored so they would never have to group with someone so greedy again.

6 Likes

Here is your problem. You already know why they booted you. You just wany sympathy.

5 Likes

You ask when you first go in the dungeon. If they all say they don’t care, then you’re good to go. Likely though, at least one will say no. They aren’t there to supply your profession’s needs. Someone else may be an enchanter too. Someone else might need gold as much as you need mats. It’s the standard, greed everything you can’t equip right then and there, you never need to just need - unless someone else started it first.

6 Likes

Need is for “Can equip and an upgrade for me”. Greed is for “I want this for DE, G, my alt … anything else than equip”.

But as Snipy says, ask if you may need on anything nobody else needs. And then be the last to select need/greed, and abstain from needing if someone else does.

3 Likes

Not looking for sympathy at all. Only confirmation that is definitely the issue and advice on how to approach loot rules in the future. Other games I play you are not able to need at all unless the gear is for your class.

Beleive me, sympathy is the last thing I was looking for, because as you said, I had a pretty good idea that’s why I was booted. though this is WoW, and there could have been many other reasons (such as me being rusty and therefore bad at being a Mage).

Entwinka, Snipy is right, you can ask at the beginning of the run. Of course everyone’s is such a huge rush to finish the dungeon you may not even have time to state your question and receive responses before the race starts. The next best thing is to ask after every drop, but even then other players may have already chosen greed at that point (maybe make a macro?).

But the other points are equally valid; other players may have an equal ‘need’.

I’m personally very laid back about drops, but even so it annoys me when I notice someone needing on every item. I’ve never initiated a kick, and only vote yes if a player is AFK, but other players most likely take the game more seriously then I do.

Totally off-topic, I miss the days of TBC where dungeons were difficult, needed CC and a more tactical approach instead of the charge into every fight we see now.

You’ll figure it out…best of luck!

Absolutely. And since going back to strictly greeding I haven’t had the same experience. I just gotta figure out what items DE into Eternal Essences, as the stuff is going for alot more than I can afford, and server pop is so low that you can’t rely on the MB for anything crafting-related. (I end up spending way too much time on alts farming cloth and other world mats to make stuff to DE myself). Even guilds on the server seem non-existent.

I do miss those days back when I started. I played Holy Paladin. Remember running Ramparts and having to have DPS CC packs. Dungeons were slower back then. Nowadays it’s AOE, Loot, Repeat.

1 Like

They come from greens that are between ilvl mid-50s and mid-60s.

When it comes to needing greens in dungeons, it’s still better to greed than need as you will generally get a decent drop rate anyway. The tougher part in dungeons is getting people to loot. A lot of greens go unlooted because not everyone clicks the sparklies.

For older mats, you’re probably better off farming the cloth - and getting a few greens along with them - then making stuff to DE. I don’t know if you’re even on tailor to enchanting, but that is definitely the way to go rather than running dungeons. Make runecloth headbands to DE.

Not usually an issue in MoP with aoe looting, and everyone see’s greens on the same corpse. I actually got annoyed with all the green rolls popping up on my screen so I just got an addon to auto pass on them.

Yeah, I have tailoring on another character. The irony is i started this toon to level enc just to get Infinite Dust to make bags, because again, there aren’t enough people selling stuff on the AH.

I came back to the game a few months ago, and I’ve been shocked by the number of people doing this. What the heck happened to this player base?

Need means you NEED it to wear.

I’ve downloaded an app just to track people who do this, not that it matters. IMHO, this should be classified as griefing and should be subject to a suspension.

I’ve got an addon called Global Ignore List. After I boot someone or they’re terrible to play with, that addon lets me know if I ever group with them again and I can list the problem. I’m pre-prepared to wait to roll all the loot at the end and usually roll last checking who’s rolled need and if it’s entirely gone greed.

Gotta do the same for lockboxes these days, there’s ALWAYS that one Nazgrim player that chooses to need them. I’m sure they NEEEEEEEEEED the gold from that lockbox, not greedy SoB’s for sure!

1 Like