Looking to buy a new system

OP - As others already covered, BLD, Maingear, Origin, etc. all have good solutions.

If you have a Microcenter nearby, you can get them to build you a Powerspec PC and it will also be pretty good for the money.

2 Likes

OP yes!

This 100% !!! Microcenter if you have one even if its 2hours away will HANDS DOWN be your best bang for your buck! Microcenter will have someone assemble the parts you buy! Probably for a fee. I have always built my own so I wouldnt know

1 Like

Not to mention griefs is recommending firecracker pre builts

https://www.techeblog.com/nzxt-h1-computer-case-fire/?amp

1 Like

H1 is a bad part but not really what most people will be buying (not used in the common prebuilts), and while the H510 and H710s aren’t amazing thermally, they work.

I’d take the H510/H710 cases over Alienware.

1 Like

When you do buy a PC, check out buildredux. com/pages/build-your-pc

Very low markup on the build, and comes with the benefits of a prebuilt, like Warranty.

Sacrifices must be made sometimes.
https://www.newegg.com/lenovo-90q8009vus/p/1VK-0003-1EHN8
Click on the 3 other offers and should see it selling from Lenovo for $1599, might have to go their site to find it but looks like a good deal for a prebuilt.

If you mostly play WoW an AMD will be faster if you want to split hairs but overall most modern CPUs will be fine.

IMO the most important hardware in a gaming PC is the monitor. Make sure you get a good one. You’ll keep it for awhile.

PC wise:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/635981/powerspec-g360-gaming-pc

I don’t think it’s fair to call someone a ‘boomer’. Not everyone is hardcore on tech. In your case it definitely seems like you’re outdated in how things work but then again unless you buy and research this stuff constantly it’s hard to know what’s best.

Right now for example a 6K series Radeon is on par or faster than a 3090 in WoW because of the Infinity Cache unless RT is used. There’s people comfortable with Nvidia who have no idea what any of that means.

Guess you missed the comments. OP taking our advice and is making the smarter move by waiting on 12th gen which is just a few months away. The idea of buying current intel atm is just silly. 12th Gen is 40% faster than current intel chips and 15-20% faster than current AMD

I don’t believe I’m outdated, just being stubborn. I acknowledge that AMD processers currently are better, they’re just not “better” enough for me to want to put up with some of the quirks AMD has. In practice, there’s very little difference in the things that I do that being stubborn about using AMD CPUs is okay for me.

But I’m not going to go around and tell people 5000 series CPUs are bad, defective, or deny the performance differences. It just doesn’t matter to me.

I prefer AMD graphics cards over Nvidia generally due to price/performance, but opportunity trumps all of that. The opportunity to get an MSRP AMD card never presented itself.

I will say that DLSS being exclusive to Nvidia and AMD FSR being useful for both makes the 3000 series more appealing as it offers a wider application of upscaling tech. Then add in the more competent ray tracing, it’s very compelling.

But that all goes out the window presently with AMD cards being much more expensive relative to MSRP vs Nvidia. That is, for places where you can get them at MSRP, like Newegg Shuffle (sorta), Best Buy (outrageous prices right now for 6700XT, 6800XT, and 6900XT), etc.

The “ok boomer” was more of a self deprecating comment, if anything, about my general preference for Intel CPUs in spite of not being the best.

I’m actually more offended at the outdated comment than the generic boomer label, because I feel I’m mostly on top of new tech and their relevance to the consumer market, at least relative to most.

Cause waiting for next gen is always the thing to do. Along with believing benchmarks before the product is in public’s hands. :roll_eyes:

If you need something now, it really doesn’t matter that much what’s coming tomorrow, for sure.

I still remember when people were saying that Zen 2 would almost certainly defeat Intel at gaming, and it took until Zen 3 to get actual parity/slight victory.

I’m truly sorry. I should have said last generation rather than outdated. I myself am using ‘last gen’ with a 10700 + 1080 TI gaming rig. All my high end rigs are workstations now are VMWARE and/or CUDA workstations.

Your feedback in the forums is good for sure so I don’t want anyone to feel your feedback is diminished.

Overall either CPU is fine. It’s the mobos that are the problem. Intel has a lot more problems now than AMD after the fixes are settled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/nam24h/hub_intel_b560_is_a_disaster_huge_cpu_performance/

I’m all for what’s the best for me at the time. The 1080 TI for example was the best for me at the time. Right now the Nvidia 3000 series has problems on 3080 and higher so I went with a 3070. Depending on the game (like WoW), the 6800 is faster than the 3090 in cases because of the new architecture. RT, DLSS, FSR are nice but not enough in current generations to sway one way or another for me.

I have no loyalty for any vendor. AMD is just as scummy as Nvidia. Nvidia has worse image quality for better performance today. AMD started the trend. Intel is no better.
None of these vendors are my friend. It’s just cold hard business.

2 Likes

Its a little different this time. Product is in the publics hands who had deep pockets. Official parts were illegally sold when they shouldn’t have been. Yes the leaks were real. Both jay and gamer nexus has talked about it. Even if they were not. We already know Zen4 and Alder Lake will blow their previous parts away.

Why? there was actual competition for both AMD and Intel this round. So both sides HAVE to be on their game with this next launch. This shouldn’t need to be explained. You should know this. Buying current intel/AMD parts is foolish atm unless you NEED a rig NOW. This should be a big generation leap for both sides. there is no debate on that. Anywhere. Dont be a fool.

1 Like

I’ve been reading a ton of issues with 11th gen and ASUS 500 series specifically.

There’s a big thread about it on LTT basically where it’s riddled with stability issues and C states.

I also have been troubleshooting a non working Ethernet on an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F with a friend with no resolution. Seems a common issue upon searching.

And also reading about USB dropouts on AMD boards…seemingly also an ASUS issue.

Might just be ASUS kind of sucks in general. But yeah it to me has always been more of a motherboard issue vs a CPU issue.

By virtue of being old as rocks, Intel 6-10th gen basically behaves the same so the motherboard vendors have had about 5+ years to figure it out.

I was mostly kidding about being offended. Mostly.

Buying either parts is pretty foolish if we’re gonna play that game - while there’s a minor difference between 5000 series and 11th gen, they’re both officially on dead platforms since 12th gen and Zen 4 will be on different sockets and both use DDR5, plus PCIE5 at least for Intel.

If you gotta get one now, you gotta get one now, and likely no matter which one you get it won’t really matter too much in terms of upgrade path, so it makes sense to get the one that’s the most economically sound in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve traditionally bought Gigabyte Intel boards, but for my latest build I went with an Asus X570 Dark Hero and it’s been rock solid so far. My frustrations with that build up until now have had more to do with Windows than with any of the hardware involved. If Asus’ AMD boards are normally spotty hopefully they apply what they’ve done with the Dark Hero to their more reasonably priced stuff.

1 Like

Power requirements for Intel’s 12th Gen Alder Lake CPUs have been revealed and from the look of things, the upcoming lineup is going to be more power-hungry compared to existing 10th and 11th Generation processors.

:clown_face:

Ironically Zen4 will be about equal to 10th Gen on power Consumption. So :clown_face: indeed

Holy hell. GPUs are supposed to consume like 500 Watts also that Gen. So you’ll need a good 1,000 to 1,200 Watt PSU.

Tell Intel to hurry up with their optical PC.

I’m resigning myself to future builds being more mid-range. This way I can reap the benefits of improved efficiency and architecture without the absurd power draw.

If I can get 3080-like performance at 250w instead of the 350w right now in a future GPU, maybe that’s just the way I will go.