Looking Grim

I am not sure I’ve seen PvP in such a bad state: Rampant cheating/boosting, low participation, MMR issues, horrific balance, etc.

It is hard to argue against the notion that Blizz is intentionally killing PvP at this point.

3 Likes

this statement has surely never been said about any other pvp season hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

thought this thread was going to be about the horrid new “like this post” ui change

edit: nevermind I actually prefer it. Shows a nice clean list of who liked a post when you click the number now.

2 Likes

This is certainly worse than any of recent memory, no?

-None of the specs seems insane to me.

-MMR is where it’s supposed to be or close to it.

-Participation is low because inflation has spoiled quite a few.

If you want your mmr to go up keep quein and get gud.

Not sure anyone has hit 3k yet but it appears many are 2100+

1 Like

depends on what you’d call recent, but balance wise I’d say beginning of last season was worse considering only mw viable, tww season 3 mm hunters were so bad I took most of that season off, I think a majority of people were complaining about frost mages being busted tww s1-s2, dragonflight was alright other than retpocolypse iirc, SL was horribly balanced throughout most of it that I played, as was BfA, and those were worse because of all the grindy stuff + rng required to get broken pve items.

Anyway, enjoying the balance is quite subjective to an extent, but I think the balance this season is actually better than the majority of previous seasons in my recent memory.

Cheating and boosting I doubt is affecting more than 1% of anyone’s games, but sure, it exists and that is annoying to say the least. Doubt it’s any worse this season than any other.

Low participation happens at the beginning of just about every season, especially the seasons after the first, because inflation is removed and most would rather quit until the end of the season when everything becomes a participation award. Also don’t think this season has any worse mmr issues than most previous (excluding the SL seasons and end of BfA). When this season approaches the last month or two and starter mmr is back up to 2300+, people are going to come back due to fomo and pump out glad.

Idk, again, it’s subjective to an extent, but for the most part this season seems pretty on par if not better than most others with respect to all of the things you mentioned. Sure there are a few outliers that need nerfs or buffs, but none of them are really so insane that you auto lose facing them (like mw monk last season was against pet classes).

Tbh I’d bet money that if blizzard just yeeted 600 mmr into the game, everyone would suddenly feel that none of the things you mentioned are that bad.

Sorta, but I wouldn’t say killing. I’d say they are just letting it die.

I’d agree with you that wow pvp is very neglected and to a frustrating extent, and I feel bad for those that only play wow for the pvp. Between playing other games and other versions of wow, I’m not as affected nowadays by any of the things you mentioned.

Also, “rampant” cheating/boosting doesn’t stop me from hitting elite or better in the first 1-3 weeks of a season, neither does low participation (at least not in shuffle), and I have enough alts to play where even if my main spec is horrificly undertuned/bugged/etc., I am usually able to play something that is at least A tier.

Ngl I’m going full degen and nerding out on Forever beta starting tomorrow as are many others I’m sure (and then playing it like crazy when it comes out too), so I think starting tomorrow your comments about significantly low participation this season will become factual.

1 Like

I haven’t waited in 10 min Qs for 2s in years.

That happened regularly today.

haven’t done too many 2s this season personally so don’t think I’ve experienced longer than maybe 5 min, at least in the 1500-2k mmr range.

That does sound awfully long for 2s. I wasn’t thinking about 2v2 balance and participation, but yeah I can see that now as being a thing in 2s, since most are only going to be able to tolerate queueing into hunter/assassin/arms + healer so many times before they abandon 2s. 2s are just pure pain for like 80% of the specs in game sadly.

1 Like

3s has been worse, imo. Threes Qs are nearly as long and you immediately Q into multiglad since mmr is so deflated. Was playing against R1s today on a toon I capped yesterday.

I can imagine, most want to take the path of least resistance so they aren’t going to queue until mmr is inflated (not to mention the average gamer doesn’t want to use lfg to play the game).

I don’t like how currently no one wants to play unless every reward is free, but at the same time I do think wow desperately needs a participation based reward track, one that rewards you for playing consistently throughout the entire season (e.g., things like 100k honor earned = cool set, 50k conquest points = cool mount, 100 3v3 wins above 1800 = cool enchant, etc.).

All we have now sadly is the seasonal pvp mount which is nice, but it just isn’t enough to keep participation up.

1 Like

Wild thing is it isn’t even that deflated mmr wise, like its hard to be below 2.2mmr in 2s atm, shuffle most people are starting out on s1 chars around 2k+.

It’s just nobody playing, if people were queing it would massively inflate.

1 Like

Just not true. My Pally was 2700 last season and started at 1700 mmr in Shuffle

I just saw a healer with 0cr who was 2550~ max last season at 2.1 mmr

1 Like

If you just saw that, then they injected mmr today

Looks like you peaked/ended 2400.

Had every healer at/above that, so no, that isn’t the case

Apparently not.

WE said this every season of TWW and Midnight S1.

1 Like

Played 10 placement games of 2s on my hunter and queued into a 2.7k MMR team at 2.4. Can’t remember the last time that happened tbh, seemed wildly high out of the gate.

This happened to me in twws3. Queued into nahj in 2s, he was like 2800 or 2900 and we were like 2300 or 2400. Definitely a rare occurrence bc I remember it and it was a while ago.

1 Like