Looking for RP - In Game Community?

I’ve been fiddling around with a few ways to help encourage RP on Alliance side, and RP in the open world. I was trying to figure out how best to do this, and came up with a few different things I want to try.

The first being some public RP events, which I’m working on with the Shadow of the Forest.

The other was maybe trying to get a looking for RP community in game. I wasn’t sure if Discords are sufficient in this regard, or if people would be interested in joining and using one.

Thanks for reading,

G

Edit: I’m doing it.

So far I have these channels in the community:

1. General - chit chat with other community members
  2. LFRP - specifically for finding RP now or later
  3. Events and Promotion - promote your RP event or communities (maybe guilds, but I don’t want this to be another guild recruitment channel)
  4. Mission Board - if you are DMing an event, a storyteller, a quest giver, etc. you can use this channel to find players.

What’s missing?

A world RP channel, city specific? Maybe those don’t need differentiating.

Character intro channel? Too many channels? Not enough?

Let me know what you think. This can evolve and change over time to reflect the needs and wants of the community.

19 Likes

im sinterested

7 Likes

A lovely idea! I pitch support for it. Anything that helps get people having fun and interacting in RP instead of feeling like environmental doodads is A+ in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQ-PFBBPzw

Also yes, great idear!

2 Likes

Count me in.

I think there used to be a community for this at the start of BfA, but the unpopularity of communities vs. Discord eventually killed it.

I love the idea and I’d totally use it. I find it less distracting than having to tab out and read through tons of posts on Discord anyway. In-game communities are quick and easy.

I originally thought the same, which is why I never explored it more. But perhaps it’s a worthy endeavor. Doesn’t hurt to try, right?

For the record, I think the integration of in-game ‘communities’ is generally better for the average person than a separate interface like Discord. Not that they’re bad, Discord is fundamentally superior – but I think there’re plenty of people who prefer not to have that exterior functionality that is tied to their greater ‘online identity’ and would rather just have something to tab over to and go, “Oh, looks like someone is RPing a witch-doctor down in the Drag. They’re doing fortune readings and selling alchemy stuff IC? I’ll go over there.”

Then you’d know what you’re getting into and not have to all sort of … idle in the same fifteen square yards of space hoping to make something happen. The wallflowers can get a more explicit ‘in’ for RP that they want to engage in, and the do-ers and movers can set up RP that they want to perform and court others with. I don’t know, it seems a shiny-slick system. I’ll definitely join and try to help it catch on if there’s a Horde-side dealie-doo.

2 Likes

^ Yep you nailed it.

Any time someone advertises a community I’ll join it just to check it out. Hope to see this one soon.

1 Like

I would set up horde side as well. I’m a bothsider, so it’ll be easy to do so. I’ll give this thread a day or so to build traction and I’ll get the ball rolling, I think. If it doesn’t pan out, then no harm done.

3 Likes

I go to to events but usually chicken out and just observe. Maybe this will help me Chang that

1 Like

I’m in! I can even keep an eye out in a mod-ish role for the oceanic/late night types, if you want! Can do ally and Horde

1 Like

Definitely interested. Being able to open a community channel and see/create some casual RP on the fly would be super nice. I find myself hanging out in Org/SW for a while, aimlessly, but not quite steeled enough to brave true walk-ups, so community ads could be a nice icebreaker.

4 Likes

Doing a lil bumparoni. I think I’ll get this set up this weekend. Anyone interested in moderating please reach out to me in game: clair#1709

1 Like

Yes! I think this would be a neat idea. Personally, I don’t like having to sign-up or join a third party platform, such as a different website or Discord. It pulls you out of the game and it’s just an unnecessary extra step. I’ve not joined any Communities in-game so I’m not too sure how it all works. But, if this does get created, I’d be interested in participating!

2 Likes

If reality bent entirely to my whims specifically there would be:

• Widely announced themed days/nights, where people pick a hub and go hang out. Tenacious Tuesdays in Stormwind Cathedral, Mana Mondays around the Blue Recluse, whatever. Just pick a venue and go with it.
  • A community/Discord with a Mission Board-style section. People post prompts, others either pursue the goal in small groups or just engage the poster in some followup RP.
  • A platform (Discord, forum thread, whatever) where people can fill out a LFRP form and list preferred modes of contact. Sometimes you want something that’s not clearly described by the usual descriptors, and putting that in TRP isn’t always that effective.
4 Likes

I really like these ideas. Would you want to talk some about it or be okay with me adopting some or all of the ideas?

1 Like

Maybe if we combine our mental energies, we can bend reality to this will! I love these ideas, too. Hopefully this comes to a fruition, even if it only gets utilized by a percentage of the RP community, I think it would be great to have an avenue you can point other RPers to for opportunities. I can’t do anything about the Blue Recluse, but I’d totally throw out days for RP in dedicated spots around Quel’thalas! It would be cool for people to put up prompts or inciting incidents, like you mention. Give people a reason to be somewhere and do with it as they please!

1 Like

Helloooooo!

I was considering doing something akin to seemingly random rp quests based on a dwarven perspective. The general premise is an old school trade guild starts to diversify and hires player characters for all varieties of missions, from combative, to political to mysterious and intellectually based.

Ideally, I’d love small groups, with the quest having a ‘theme’.

I’ve recently returned to WOW, but I’ve been GM’ing for years ad my goal is to use a simple /20 roll system (the shut-up and role/roll system), small groups, but an expansive, interconnected plot that requires no character- sheets, but is narrative-based.

I’m sort of balking at discord as well and would prefer to keep things in almost wholly in-game.

Maybe we could discuss a collective based notion of groups of this type?

3 Likes

I am open to that. I kinda had the same idea for my own guild, but a elven perspective instead of dwarven. I think I have an idea or two on the matter. Message me in-game and I’ll be happy to chat.