Little things that made Classic better

Mages are always an option for people that want more portals.

I wanted portals back in Vanilla, so I rolled a mage and got them.

4 Likes

Everything. Especially the warts

7 Likes

I’m really looking forward to the prospect of no obsolete content. That’s been an issue since BC so it will be nice to have a world where everything you do matters in some way and you aren’t just trying to PL through the first 60 levels to get to the expansions that have totally better stuff. So many expansions in we have a lot of dead weight in the game. I’m looking forward to making use of the world to it’s fullest, and always feeling like I’m in the right place and don’t need to rush to somewhere else.

Also looking forward to the old graphics, my card can barely handle retail but it ran the old game flawlessly.

14 Likes

Get back to remaking th’ tunnel thing you gnomes called. . . what was it again? Oh yeah the tram!

Also the tree off in the ocean out there has special tinkering materials you gnomes might like, make a tram to there.

2 Likes

I loved it when reaching an end goal was a process, not a button click. Attunements may seem tedious, but they’re only tedious if you don’t enjoy the game, or if you were incapable of appreciating delayed gratification.

16 Likes

Problem is, it’s almost impossible to take away things once you give them… requires foresight

5 Likes

Well, One moment the tracking was removed upon death. How many times I forgot to reactivate it ! How many mine nodes missed !

I don’t know if this is a case in 1.12

2 Likes

40 people flying out of w/e major city, heading to the next Raid. So fun to see all of us flying out into the world like that.

Having to think a little in dungeons and while leveling. Heirlooms removed that need.

Massive dungeons. Straight up mini raids. Real easy to get lost in BRD or Mara or Uld etc… Giant, sprawling epic dungeons.

I enjoyed the pinching coppers to afford spells part, too. Had to think/plan a bit when spending coin, early on.

This list could go on a long while.

11 Likes

The tone on that mention about not wanting more portals is really a bad taste joke to the thousands who gave feedback about this on retail.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the quests to unlock weapons, mounts, and abilities for the classes, too. Before Cataclysm removed them.

x.x

I feel like Cataclysm was a mistake.

20 Likes

I agree 100% Soop.

Class lore/fantasy was eaten away at. Removal of totem/druid form/class mount etc… quests. Removal of the need for reagents or ammo or w/e.

Stocking up on w/e was needed to raid or pvp or quest was a good time, for me. Or even before logging out! A sense of completion and preparation, all in one.

7 Likes

This. This. Oh and this. By the way lad did I mention this? I mean this is definitely one of the largest points for me in Classic. Oh wait did I say this?

3 Likes

Most professions weren’t relevant at all, the specialty recipes that were usable outside of the big 2 - enchanting and alchemy - were often outdated by the time you gathered the mats from across the continents, obscure materials were important, but aside from when they popped up in enchants it was more that people had no idea what was truly useful. You’d be better off farming mana restore runes and tubers than copper ore.

Gearing as you go! Nowadays in WoW, leveling is a chore. Back in Vanilla, leveling was a part of the game! Low levels were always so interesting, trying to find the best quests to get especially high level gear at lower levels was an amazing experience. People actively wanted to be the best they could at every level of the game, and it vastly improved the experience of leveling.

Theres no way Blizzard could go back to it without upsetting players. The only thing I could see is basically doubling the amount of experience we get at the moment, and doubling the difficulty of mobs while leveling. This would be anathema to the current playerbase’s mentality though.

4 Likes

Man, so true. An upgrade was so significant while leveling. Might even be used for ages, even into end game in some cases.

Imo, every little upgrade, every talent, every new rank of spell mattered. Things mattered.

8 Likes

Thats why twinking was seen as acceptable back in the day. EVERYONE was semi-twinking back in the day. Twinks were just the ones who did it the best.

I remember completing the Nessingwary Questline at like 27 or 28 by having my friend kill things while I was dead, JUST so i could see how cool I’d look using my new gun in dungeons “carrying people” (it wasn’t I was absolutely terrible back then).

1 Like

I loved WoW Classic before Activision fused with Blizzard.

1 Like

I miss when you weren’t some savior of the universe/planet.

The direction the story telling has gone from starting barely able to use a weapon to becoming Christ is ridiculous.

Not to mention the classes all got balanced instead of the player needing to reroll or adapt based on what they wanted to do in game.

The Cross realm servers, battlegrounds, flying mounts, group finder systems, and lack of things to do across all old parts of the game aside from just leveling as fast as possible (or buying your levels) absolutely without a doubt ruined community interaction.

The removal of certain rpg elements like weapon skills, the homogenized weapon speeds, hunter pet speeds, horde and alliance no longer having faction specific classes, and the introduction of races specifically made to “balance populations” instead of releasing the ones the fans wanted all along.

BLIZZARD if you want to revive BFA hire a group of proven retail lovers to head the project and bring the originals back by any means necessary (like Staats). Otherwise the only hope we have now is Classic… and every day we have retail folks coming in to get their little changes made… or to make sure the game stays easy for them to get their reward pinatas

7 Likes

Agreed.

Participation trophy Legendaries, removal of community and accountability, removal of the ‘World’ part of World of Warcraft…

And this:

Not to mention the classes all got balanced instead of the player needing to reroll or adapt based on what they wanted to do in game.

So much this.

2 Likes

Looks at your picture with green fire all around you*
remembers. . .

Welp that ain’t gonna go anywhere!