Linux users unable to log in, WOW51900328/329 error after logging in

I know there isn’t a crap load of replies on here. But I know there are more Linux users out there.

Blizzard, why will yall not support Linux? Cost? No so popular OS?

Thank you.

Could not login this morning on Ubuntu with Lutris. Booted over to Winblows and logged in fine. Changed the TTL to 128 as suggested and logged in fine again. Thanks everyone

sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=128

Yep, was having this problem too. Got my networking setup to use IPV6 properly.

Launched WOW client then hit the “System” button at the right of the login screen. In the settings dialog choose “Network” on the left then check the box for “Enable IPv6 when available”.

Then exit the client and delete the cache directory from your WOW installation or you get a different error.

sysctl != systemd. There is no need to recompile the kernel nor reboot to change sysctl settings

I use OpenRC too. The ttl change has nothing to do with the init system. It’s even possible to change it via echo to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl, no sysctl needed.

This I did not know, I assumed it had to be corrected via module or something in my kernel from what another said on the Gentoo forum. I am lost with networking etc…will change /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl and report back. Thanks

Edit: Thanks so much, I learned something from this. I was unaware I could change that value without a recompile. Cheers, it worked!

Just tested this this on Manjaro. Instantly fixed! Had to use sysctl method to change ttl, but yeah. Lets hope this continues to work and we get to play now!

Changed ttl in Mac OS and it didn’t fix it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

After narrowing this down last night and proving it is a issue focused on linux and passive fingerprinting

Here is the info you all need to review to understand what they are doing and why, perhaps some windows 10 users have similar ‘strange out of spec’ packets. (perhaps they ran some network customization tools?)

Please review an external PDF paper from SFU university here on this topic:
SFU article on DDOS and packet fingerprinting (TTL is #1 stealth method) => journals.sfu.ca/apan/index.php/apan/article/download/14/5

UPDATE: windows 10 users may want to try this fix that was recently posted after we narrowed this down for linux users.

For linux users please check around on the internet for solutions based on your distro on how to change your TTL

The values listed in the PDF link explain what other odd TTL’s different linux distros may use, windows generally defaults to 128 (but this can change to)

1 Like

is there anything linux users can do?

@Toshiko

Yes mask your TTL as something else besides 64 via proc, most distro’s it is like this:

echo 128 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl

If that works for you scan there is a perm way to adjust this, it is the best work around we have right now until blizz corrects the way they are doing their passive packet checks.

The above all depends on the distro you use, so find what works for your OS using a search engine.

Regards

sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=129

Or:

echo 129 | sudo tee /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl

Or:

sudo bash -c 'echo 129 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl'

All of these worked for me on ubuntu, i was able to connect and play.

1 Like

Linux gamers get stuff done.

BTW Bliz, we make the best beta testers, not the streamers. Support Linux gaming and you have a good foundation of a community, that’s my 2 cents.

Thanks to everyone, you guys rock.

9 Likes

Can confirm, getting error WOW51900328 also on a Windows 10
ISP Comcast
I believe my account is Flagged because of other Blizzard Products working not on that account.
Blizzard has had a ticket submitted for 8 hours now and no response. I hope to be compensated for the time loss I have suffered and paid for…

Realm: Blaumex
Client: Lutris
Error: WOW51900328

Since yesterday 8-9 o’clock.

sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=129

Fix issue for me.

4 Likes

Anyone playing on a Mac and wants to try it out, the command is sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ttl=128

Didn’t work for me, but ymmv.

I run Untangle as well. I am still very new to it. Can you expand on how you changed to 128?

1 Like

That gets a MAJOR +1 from me…

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I searched for solutions like this myself but didnt realize windows has different ttl. This worked for me on NixOS