Limit the Types of Addons

Addons affect more than gameplay. It also allows UI customization for comfort, abilities for roleplayers, and other functions that do not make any other effect to the base game.

The genius about WoW that is constantly being touted is that you can play how you want. If you remove addons, you remove the clear majority of those options.

Addons led to Retail being made around them. They’re a big yikes

3 Likes

If you must have addons they have em for retail…

I don’t know why people try to pretend add ons were extremely limited and under used in vanilla. Almost every major add on we use today either started in vanilla or had an equivalent add on.

They did say in blizz con they were looking at removing specific functionality that might not make sense but that was stuff like raid markers.

6 Likes

Addons were in Vanilla. I don’t know what version of Vanilla you played that didn’t have addons available. And if you want them gone, you won’t see the growth that WoW ever had. And you’re going to alienate a longstanding section of your community.

1 Like

There is always retail

True they do, but the sort of add-ons that Blizzard has specifically stated they are starting to crack down on are the sort the help you play the game, not the kind that improve your visibility or access to components of the game play.

These sort of addons are likely to die not only in Classic WoW but also modern WoW.

Deadly boss mods (boss / raid information addons of all kinds)
Heal bot (of any kind or any version ever)
Auction house bots (of any nature)
Decursive (essentially a cleanse bot)

Things that even partly automate the game play are gonna die… Why? Because it makes the game noticeably easier; essentially these things are crutches that have become so good that they’re better than your legs.

Hence they must die.

1 Like

Healbot in its TBC version wasn’t all that different from blending Clique and Grid - it provided a raid frame grid and the ability to set up heals to point and click.

Yes, they’ll prevent the bot version - but the subsequent version exists to this day (Healbot Continued) and doesn’t automate anything.

Yeah, that’s stretching “automation” trying to cover addons that Blizzard considers just fine.

Believe me, I’m obsessive about spreadsheets as my way of tracking data. But I don’t need an addon to alert me to a rare or a particular player, for example, because I can set up a macro that attempts /tar {rare} or /tar {playername} every time I click it or hit the keybind I associate it with.

I don’t know what Blizzard’s eventual decision will be on something like a quest helper addon, but I do remember one key thing - it required player input to put those marks on the map. Gatherer, for example, could either be only your own gathering recorded, or you could upload your data and download an aggregate of all the known locations based on other players who used it. No different, really, from a bunch of players keeping notebooks and sharing their records, and certainly not “automation”.

CT Raid had boss timers. They just weren’t as accurate as DBM, and didn’t say “X is targeting you” and make a bunch of noise.

I also recall that it had to wait for the first instance of an ability before it could start predicting it, if I remember right. That could be completely wrong, though.

Except that the person I’m responding to is advocating for ALL addons to be disabled, regardless of form or function, stating that “addons are why Retails sucks.”

Ah, I missed that part… Mah bad…

It was seriously bad on occasion and did not trigger at all or would trigger too soon… TOO SOON EXECUTUS TOO SOON!

There were many addons available in Vanilla, maybe not at launch but as time progressed definitely.

I mean healbot isn’t banned, it’s just the automated decisions part of it was broken. The current healbot adds a group/raid ui element and basically makes mouse over macros for your healing spells much easier then having to write them yourself.

1 Like

Gotta keep track of DKP somehow

3 Likes

Blizz should just focus on making the game itself authentic. If people find a way to do new things with their addons, let them.

1 Like

No don’t just ‘let them’. New ways usually are those trying to bot, automate, or alter things they have no business touching.

This statement requires them to ensure that people don’t implement the systems Vanilla didn’t have, that led to the destruction of the authentic feel.

1 Like

That’s what they said they were doing at blizzcon, reviewing the API to remove anything that has various functionality that isn’t appropriate for classic.

Sure, but the idea of banning certain addons that comply with what was possible to do in Vanilla is stupid. People are generally better at programming now, innovation on that front is expected.

This isn’t vanilla tho is it.