Limbo characters, speculation on their fate, and/or should they return in WoW?

So we have plenty of characters that are introduced in short stories, novels, or even from the RTS games that when we last saw them were alive but have yet to make their way into WoW. For example Warlord Kao was a limbo character introduced in the Shadows of the Horde novel, that later made his way into WoW by being within the Zuldazar storyline during Battle for Azeroth.

We also have characters that are introduced in WoW, but end up leaving in some manner instead leaving their status unknown, in contrast with other characters who are just stationed in their expansion. Like how Nazgrel, is still in Hellfire, where as we have the former Stonemaul leader Overlord Mok’Morokk, who Rexxar had appointed, was driven out of the clan and fled into the wilderness.

Now I do think it’s likely some of these characters have died in the interim. But I do feel others are still out there.

Below is a brief list of limo characters I think are gone, could return, or just want to return to the story in some manner.

• I currently headcanon that the likes of Tagar and Bovan Windtotem, introduced in the Founding of Durotar campaign, fought and lost their lives in the final battle against Daelin Proudmoore. I also figure that the ogre Crol’ka, the wounded Stonemaul ogre that came to the Darkspear for help and was named in War3 Reforged, either died in the fight as well or when the Black Dragonflight claimed Stonemaul Village.
  • Considering the fact that the shattering of Draenor had countless portals, I do think that the likes of Fenris Wolfbrother could have led his forces through one of the portals like Khadgar did with the Alliance. However unlike the Human Expedition which just ended on a more stable area of Outland, Fenris and his forces could have elsewhere. And as we explore the cosmos and possibly planets, we could encounter him.
    ** Though in the event of MU Fenris being brought into the story, I’m unsure if Blizzard would have say the Thunderlords be one of the Horde reputations or have a new planet zone focused on aiding the locals against the Thunder Horde.
  • I would really like for Koak and Steel from the short The Strength of Steel to be included in the game. Either as a Horde base commander or serving as the Dragonmaw Envoy to the greater Horde for Chieftain Gorfax Angerfang.
5 Likes

Jevan Grimtotem should be in the game. He and his entire group of Grimtotem Tauren aren’t mentioned once in WoW. It’s a waste of a perfectly good character who could show us the good side of the Grimtotem.

11 Likes

Does Tyrathan Khort count?

He is in game for a brief moment - at Voljin’s funeral. But not much else.

It would have been cool to see him involved in Voljin’s story. He should have been helping us get revenge against Muezhala - but I guess we are lucky we got any Voljin lore squeezed in to the “Night Elf Extra Night Time Wonderland”.

Thura Saurfang is always a Character I champion for an in game appearance. An Orc wielding the Axe of Cenarius, trying to reclaim her families good name. I could see her bringing the axe to Malfurion, and him telling her to keep it, and wield it, as an ancient symbol of cooperation between her people and his. She could be the Horde’s “Warden of the Wood”.

I hoped we would get a little information on Lirath Windrunner in Shadowlands. Is he kind of poking around Windrunner Spire like a shade or a ghost - or is he in the Shadowlands? In that “Three Sisters” comic, you see a figure of him being sad in the background … but I can’t tell if that is supposed to be his “shade” hovering around, or him peering through the Shadowlands, or simply some emotional device the authors used to convey sadness. I think if he was a shade or ghost, Sylvanas would have known he was hanging around.

9 Likes

I was thinking of Tyrathan Khort as well!

If you play a hunter, you would also find him at the Trueshot Lodge where he tells you he is thinking about “lost friends…and a promise I need to keep.” But after that, nothing, sadly.
I hope he will live to witness Vol’jin’s ascension to loa. Would like to see what he thinks about that. I think he would be happy and proud.

It’s strange though because right now it feels like all the characters who did not accompany us into the Shadowlands are in limbo somehow.
I hate that we don’t know what’s going on in Azeroth while we’re away. I want to know how Rokhan keeps things going in Orgrimmar with the other horde leaders absent, or how Talanji and Zandalar fare after the events of Shadows Rising. Or what Velonara is up to etc etc

And yes, bring back Jevan, Thura and Nazgrel! The orc and tauren rosters could use some reinforcements.

4 Likes

Castillian the Argent Dawn mage in Ashbringer. This guy is still a mystery and I would like to find about more about his involvement with Varimathras.

It was him who delivered the Wrathgate plague to Varimathras from Kel’thuzad and it would be neat if we learned more about the Dreadlords plot at the Wrathgate and we find out finally who this mysterious mage is.

7 Likes

Agreed.
Although, I can imagine the (inevitable) outcry of Troll fans whining that he’s just another human encroaching on Troll Lore. There’s already a few on these forums who hate that he exists at all.

4 Likes

True enough.
Some hate the intrusion of human characters in their racial fantasy by default but to be fair, it’s usually done in a “yo member of a savage race, let me in my infinite wisdom show you the error of your ways!” manner.

But Vol’jin’s and Tyrathan Khort’s relationship wasn’t like that at all. I understand troll fans who think he shouldn’t have been implemented at all, but I liked him personally. He was a true friend.

3 Likes

I always like to bring up this character because it still feels weird that Blizzard had her survive the boss encounter she was involved in and never brought her back. Even though blizzard has used the Twilight Dragonflight in Legion (Shaman order hall campaign) and BFA (Island expeditions and the crucible of flame storyline). Like why let Goriona survive the Warmaster Blackhorn encounter if you are never going to bring her back?

2 Likes

Well, much of the Legion and BfA Twilight stuff is foreshadowing rather than the focus of either story (BfA arguably has some of it via N’zoth, but it wasn’t really cemented just how many of his followers were properly Twilights Cultists and how many were his own creatures wearing humanoid forms, since a lot of them would transform into other things when near death.) Even the dragons serving him in the Crucible of Flame didn’t seem to be exactly the same thing as the old Twilight Dragons, as they were made out to be the results of new experimentation being carried out by N’zoth’s followers rather than a continuation of Legion’s implication that the Cataclysm-era Twilight Dragons as we know them are still “out there” muiltiplying in secret.

Bringing out the familiar named Twilight Dragons is the sort of thing one might expect if that dragonflight becomes a more central focus of the plot again. Like if we get some sort of dragon-centric expansion in which the now-mortal dragonflights are solidifying their new places in the world while Wrathion tries to restore his flight (perhaps with the help of Ebonhorn/Ebyssian) and they all have to deal with a resurgence of the malevolent, still-empowered flights (i.e. the Twilights and Chromatics, and whatever else might be whipped up. Like how Ravnyr in Darkmaul Citadel presents the possibility of self-possessed “death dragons” - rather than just the standard reanimated Scourge wyrms - perhaps becoming a more regular thing in the world going forward.)

It’s possible that N’zoth abandoned the Twilight Dragons entirely after Deathwing’s failure, either because he had no more use for them or because it was Deathwing’s project/contribution and N’zoth had no control over them after Deathwing’s fall.

Gallywix - known Sylvanas apologist (though mostly likely for personal financial gain) and part of her inner circle. He fled the Horde when she did, and it’s not entirely clear where he went. I’ve read on these boards that most believe he will most likely take up control of the Steamwheedle Cartel, but he’s still an accomplice to some fairly serious war crimes. And in true Blizzard fashion, he exited last expansion without a single peep from the writer team as to where he went or what he’s up to. Sylvanas was a bad investment and so he’s moved on - I get it - but I’d like some closure as I found him to be insufferable throughout BFA. I’d be happy if they brought him back as dungeon boss in the next expansion so that I can repeatedly beat him up on progressing levels of mythic keys.

2 Likes

That’s the first time I’ve heard any thinking that he would gain control of the Steamwheedle Cartel. Most people seem to lean more towards him becoming the new head of the Venture company.

While we don’t know what he’s up too, Gallywix can be found within the Myza’s Oasis of Tazavesh, the Veiled Market, seemingly in a meeting with a group of Brokers.

2 Likes

It’s not the first time I’ve seen it. I’ve seen discussion on Venture Co., too. Do a forum search on Gallywix - the discussions are out there.

Also I had no idea he was in Tazavesh. I’m going to go check that out.

2 Likes

I ignored mechagon and that taza vesh place.

It hasn’t been in my way.

But… it sounds interesting.

This would be a great one! I loved that story.

1 Like